Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Help with 'Free' Cavity Wall Insulation - advice needed

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
So this afternoon a friendly salesman chap from Brand Extension (www.beei.co.uk) knocked on the door offering free cavity wall insulation. Now normally I would politely so no thankyou but I though I would listen.

Anyway after the chat I have signed up for FREE cavity wall insulation pending a survey. He assured me that it was free but they may recommend other products on the survey (which is how i presume they make their money).

Anyway any experts out there who can give advice as the chap said that the Government have changed their funding and that the Government energy grant pays for it, hence it being free.

All I can find on the internet is The Green Deal which says you pay back a percentage of any energy savings.

My question is - is it really free? or should I cancel with the 7 day cooling off period?

My neighbour also signed up so would be good to warn them too, if dodgy.

Thanks in advance.

Elms

May 11, 2004
Horsham
We signed up for this through British Gas, however following their survey it was concluded that they would require scaffolding (on the basis that we live in a house!) and that it wouldn't be a free installation afterall. Bizarre scheme. We cancelled.

We signed up for this through British Gas, however following their survey it was concluded that they would require scaffolding (on the basis that we live in a house!) and that it wouldn't be a free installation afterall. Bizarre scheme. We cancelled.

Same as, free turned into quite bloody expensive overnight.

Told them to sling there hooks.

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
It may be available free under the governments CERT (Carbon Emissions Reduction Target) scheme. It would not hurt if you were to contact your local Energy Savings Trust on 0800 512012 as they will be able to confirm what schemes are currently available in your area.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Being a pensioner, mine was done for free under a combined main/local government grants scheme. The whole procedure took about 4hrs and the only inconveinience to me was shifting things in the garage so they could get to an original wall. During a very cold winter up here in Oxfordshire I was able to set my thermostat a lot lower than previous winters. They even keep the dust from when drilling the holes to mix with the cement used to fill holes afterwards so it all blends in.

Jul 7, 2003
There are some good offers out there through any company selling energy services. Generally they are either free or require a small payment depending on what is required. We did ours through Tesco last year but don't think they offere this any more. Got cavity wall insulation and also our loft re-insulated for £99.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I had a company contact me and sure enough they came did cavity wall and top up loft insulation for nothing about three months ago. Did not need scaffolding to CI, just a ladder. Got certificates and everything. I was told by the guy that Councils have been given grants to pay for Cavity wall insulation and loft insulation but when the money runs out that's it. There was no age limit (person) or size of house restriction. So reckon your chap could be genuine.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
I was on the dole this time last year and signed up as 'completely free'. When it was installed, the chav who was installing it said it was free for everyone regardless.
If it's free then go for it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Our energy supplier offered it free, but found we already had cavity insulation after the survey. They wouldn't do loft insulation as our loft space is too small

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its "free" because we are paying for it through our energy bills.:(

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Careful, CERT ran out last year and all funding has been stopped.

Including some to contractors who had done the work for householders for free and then didnt get the funds from the relevant grant funders.

There are still some schemes about which are supposedly free but I would check the small print very carefully about what you may or may not be liable for should the contractor that does the work not receive the funding themselves. And who the funding agent is.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Got ours done for free by EDF last year and we weren't even customers !

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
We had our wall insulation and loft insulation dome free last year. No come back, no extra to pay etc and we both earn good money! Quite bizarre but good none the less.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Got ours done for free by EDF last year and we weren't even customers !

roof,cavity wall and a new boiler

all free
and we live in rented
ring your energy supplyer

watsongooal

Jul 7, 2003
Chislehurst
Didn't have the wall but had free loft insulation and it has made a huge difference.

No cavity walls at Bracknell Towers, but I'll endorse everything that has been said about the value of decent insulation. Our place is considerably warmer and much cheaper to heat, since we had loads of work done a few years ago.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Signed up with BEEI as well. I rang the 0800 number given above to check their funding. It is ECO funding and legit. Surveyor came today. We failed as they are looking for "problem" cavities or they cannot get funding. So my cavity is clean but failed as they wont get funding.

No payment involved so worth giving them a shot.

I could have knocked a hole in the outer wall and filled the bottom of the cavity with rubble and then they would do the job as they would get funding due to problem cavity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here