Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Electronic Advertising Boards

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Being put in for the whole of next season, on East Side and half way along behind each goal. Same system as was used for the Arsenal game.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Aaargh! I LOATHE them - especially when they scroll, flash and generally distract you during the game :angry:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Must be expecting more home games on the tellybox maybe?

Don't they cost a ridiculous amount of dosh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Don't they cost a ridiculous amount if dosh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

They may well do, but lots of companies have signed up for it paying £14k per season (which includes other things as well I believe)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't they cost a ridiculous amount if dosh?

No they don't. If they are even bought at all. More often they would come as part of a package, including the pre-sold advertsising content, in which case the club would be paid a fee to allow them.

(I'm talking typically - I've no knowledge of what kind of deal the Albion have done)

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm sure it was said before that they cost about 1m to install on a permanent basis. Maybe I just made that up.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Would you make more from advertising? I mean, if you have static advertising it's one company, one advert, with electronic advertising you can scroll through three, four, five, etc. but would you have to charge less since there's no guarantee the advert will be seen during a big action moment?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Would you make more from advertising? I mean, if you have static advertising it's one company, one advert, with electronic advertising you can scroll through three, four, five, etc. but would you have to charge less since there's no guarantee the advert will be seen during a big action moment?

Say what you like about Barber, but I trust his commercial ability well enough to know that we're not going to install something that'll make us less money.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No doubt there are various balance sheet + tax efficient ways of doing this, such as Opex based lease or similar. So if we think we can generate significant revenue from this, sounds like a good move. Doesn't bother me either.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They are worse if you are watching from pitch level. The upper class supporters at the higher levels should hardly notice.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Wouldn't it be great if they flashed up GOOOOOAL! in big glowing letters when we score? Eh? Eh?

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
I'm not a fan of them but if it's a way for the club to make money then so be it. Better that than another price hike on my season ticket.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Don't have a great problem with the electronic signs, I seem able to focus on the footie without getting too distracted by them. Aren't they mandatory in the Prem so would have to have them at some point. Although curiously don't appear to be mandatory in European competitions?

Just like the introduction of HD scoreboards and video screens I guess its yet another sign of progress from the days of an old boy carrying a blackboard with the results of the half time draw around the cinder track and the scores in other games manually added to a series of brackets on the wall. All part of the transition from football 'grounds' to 'stadiums'.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Don't have a great problem with the electronic signs, I seem able to focus on the footie without getting too distracted by them. Aren't they mandatory in the Prem so would have to have them at some point. Although curiously don't appear to be mandatory in European competitions?

European games such as the Champions League have to have specific adverts as dictated by UEFA. A week or so before each game a sign and display company (it's been an English firm for the past few years) visits each stadium and "Championsleague-y-fies them, covering all the existing advertising, static and digital, with UEFA CL brand advertising. I think this also includes not allowing fans to sit in the front couple of rows of seats too, to ensure the adverts are not hindered by scarves and banners etc.

I imagine if we ever made it to a European competition (currently with Mastercard as one of its sponsors I think) then the Amex will have to revert to being called the "Brighton Community Stadium" or some such. I understand for the up coming Rugby World cup which a couple of games are being played at the Amex, again the term Amex will not be allowed to be used for sponsorship reasons.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
European games such as the Champions League have to have specific adverts as dictated by UEFA. A week or so before each game a sign and display company (it's been an English firm for the past few years) visits each stadium and "Championsleague-y-fies them, covering all the existing advertising, static and digital, with UEFA CL brand advertising. I think this also includes not allowing fans to sit in the front couple of rows of seats too, to ensure the adverts are not hindered by scarves and banners etc.

I imagine if we ever made it to a European competition (currently with Mastercard as one of its sponsors I think) then the Amex will have to revert to being called the "Brighton Community Stadium" or some such. I understand for the up coming Rugby World cup which a couple of games are being played at the Amex, again the term Amex will not be allowed to be used for sponsorship reasons.

No alcohol sold within the stadium either.

I wonder who bears the cost of insisting on these requirements? Does it fall on the host club? I recall a debate on Albion Roar a while back about potentially how costly being in the Europa Cup will be for clubs like Wigan who may well get the kudos - but at a cost as UEFA insist on huge areas of premium seats (equivalent to our 1901s) being set aside for UEFA guests and officials and for media so STH's get turfed out of their normal seats. Yet often many of these seats remain empty. OK Wigan won't get huge crowds anyway so not the best example but will also lose money what with new travelling and accommodation costs etc.

Perhaps Mr Platini might consider how cost effective that is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here