Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dog poo on the streets - Guilty or not?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
For the umpteenth time today, I've taken my dog out for a walk only to tread in a big pile of the brown stuff in the middle of the pavement. Now I know I should have been looking where I was going but I've always had a habit of gazing ahead as I'm out for a stroll rather than observing the ground and it would be almost impossible for me to change this trait after 50 odd years, so I guess I'm going to continue to catch more than my fair share of those unwelcome packets.

Smelling like a dog turd for a whole hour, as your fellow dog walkers avoid you like the plague, is bad enough but to then walk into some more mess on the Neville playing field (and a particularly watery variety) only 10 mins after the other incident strikes me as damn bad luck. Ever mindful that things tend to happen in threes, I spent the rest of the walk looking at the ground and counted more than 20 other turds of varying proportions over 30 mins, despite the existence of four poo bins. So what is it about some people and dog poo? Are owners really so idle and lazy that they can't be bothered to pick it up? Do they always forget bags or not bother buying them? Can they not afford bags and so are obliged to leave their dog's deposit in situ? Or do they think that picking up dog poo with a bag is somehow unhygienic or perhaps beneath them? I have politely asked people to pick up in the past; some do but most give a volley of abuse and threaten violence of some description so I don't tend to make a scene any-more but there is no doubt that the problem is getting worse and it can't be long before dogs end up being banned form certain public places because of the actions of a minority.

I would be interested to know of any experiences that others have had with the doo poo issue; and if there is anyone on NSC who never picks up I'd be very grateful to know their reasons for not bothering. It may be that I'm unluckier than most when out walking? Perhaps, therefore, I should think about dedicating a pair of trainers to dog walks to save me the trouble of cleaning different pairs each time I get back home.

Goring-by-Seagull

Jan 5, 2012
Thing is, EVERY dog owner always picks up their dog's mess. They all say they do. Which is strange as I also come across lots of turdburgers in my local park. Which we draw what we call "poo-rings" around to make said turds more visible while we're having a kick about.

Strangely, there always seems to be more in the winter or when it's wet. Do dog owners think the rain will wash away their crap? Because it certainly doesn't.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Always pick up after my dogs as do most of the Hollingbury and Burstead Woods dog-walking circle. But there are some who never do, maybe 5-10% and of course, like with cyclists, the behaviour of the wankers mean we all get tarred with the same brush. I've had mixed reaction getting people to pick up when they haven't done it automatically. One bloke (who I've caught twice) said "Oh I'm terrible. I know I should but I never have any poo bags on me". Others have just been abusive, and yes it is the big tatooed owners with the fierce dogs on chains who are the worst offenders.

I also pick up other dogs' poo if I see it in the street, especially in my road. People know we've got dogs, see poo on the pavement and jump to conclusions. I HATE doing it though and am always filled with un-Christian thoughts about where I'd like to dispose of it.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I always pick mine up. Well not mine, my dogs.

Disgusting to do otherwise. Especially on a pavement. No excuse for it.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Dog owners only pick up their dogs doodahs only if being watched, then they often flick the whole bag in to the bushes at the earliest possible convenience. I first saw this on Highdown Hill in Worthing, after open grassland the main path goes through maybe 10 yards of bushes, when autumn comes and the leaves die back you can see all the little offerings hanging there in their non degradable bags. It's like some kind of Doggy Nepalese festival.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Who picks up guide dog poo then?

I've seen a blind lady clear up after her guide dog. She covered her hand with a bag, then placed it over the poo, scooped it up and then turned it inside out to tie up. I presume a keen sense of smell would assist.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
If i had the power to travel back in time i'd probably think to go into certain nuggets of time in which i drunkenly dropped some ploppage in business doorways after a night on the tiles or three, cleaning up my sorry mess behind me.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Where I live and work, and where I'm sitting now, overlooks a village recreation ground. Without any doubt, the number of dog walkers leaving pet poo behind has gone down and down over the years and is now as rare as dads smoking in front of their children. That is, it happens, but not often.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Dogs should be banned from towns and cities for this very reason. Okay that's never going to happen, but i've noticed a few parks that have been allocated as dog free recently, which is great news and surely the way to go in the future. To see how much difference this makes to a park area... go check the park in the middle of Brunswick Square (no dogs allowed, so nice and clean, kids playing happily, people having picnics without worry etc etc) with the park in the middle of Adelaide Crescent (dogs allowed so it's basically a festival of dog toffees plus a few homeless dudes hanging out). There's way too many dogs in Sussex.

emphyrian

May 25, 2004
Woodingdean
Being a non dog owner it really winds me up when people leave the little poo pressies outside my house. I have caught the chap let his dog squat by my driveway on countless times. My solution was to pick it up, follow him to his house and then dump it on his drive. I did this over the space of a week (whenever i caught his dog doing the do) and he finally caught me dropping it. He asked what the f@ck i was doing and i quite happily told him i was returning his dogs mess. i told him that every night he walks up my street and lets his dog crap outside and i wanted him to know how i felt every day seeing it there. He now comes no-where near my house and i have seen him picking up his dogs mess

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
There was a spot near where I used to live where a particular owner used to let his dog frequently cr@p and never pick it up.
After a while, some wag stuck a flag in it saying: 'please adopt me as my current owner is low life sub human scum'

Made me chuckle!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Saw a woman take her two giant dogs for a shit on Blakers park and she DID pick it up. But 30 seconds later a family all sat on the same spot for a picnic. It doesnt take a lot of the bacteria / worms in dogshit to make you very ill. So I dont really see how this is better. I think dogs should be banned from cities. Yes im serious.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Where I live and work, and where I'm sitting now, overlooks a village recreation ground. Without any doubt, the number of dog walkers leaving pet poo behind has gone down and down over the years and is now as rare as dads smoking in front of their children. That is, it happens, but not often.

Youre lucky... its getting worse and worse in brighton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here