Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prince Harry - Duke of Sussex

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
With all the Royal chitter chatter going around it prompted a discussion in the office about titles and suchlike. After a quick spin around the wiki I stumbled across the fact (as much as wikipedia deals in such things) that Prince Harry has been promised the title "Duke of Sussex" when he gets married. No doubt that'll lead to some creative headlines and hopefully an incredibly fit Duchess of Sussex too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_of_Sussex

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not the Duke of Croydon? Can't say I'm that fussed, but surprised they have been passed over again for such a prestigious title.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's Henry isn't it, not Harry??

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
Prince Henry (known practically universally as Harry) - Duke of Sussex

Thought so, it's a real bug-bear of mine when people can't get the names of our own Royal Family right.

:angry:

And George VI was actually called Albert (as was Edward VII) but I don't think anyone actually got upset when they used a different name.

:facepalm:

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
And George VI was actually called Albert (as was Edward VII) but I don't think anyone actually got upset when they used a different name.

They only used a different name to honour the wish of Queen Victoria. She didn't want a King Albert again after her husband died.

Cappers

Deano's right one
Jun 3, 2010
Hove
Aaaah Prince Albert. Often pop in and say hello on match days

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The King can choose his name when he's crowned. It wouldn't surprise me if Charles didn't choose George (one of his 4 names) to become George VII. Edward VIII was known as David in the family.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Thought so, it's a real bug-bear of mine when people can't get the names of our own Royal Family right.

:angry:

who the f*** is Henry?

Actually, don't respond. I don't care.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
nice, a man who shags about, gets drunk, goes hunting, and goes to afghanistan to kill people in deadly and expensive apache helicopters......all on tax money.......what honour....a Duke he shall be.......for a place he has hardly ever been and has no links to.

pffffff........well, some people will probably get a "feel good stiffy" out of this too.....especially if its on the front page of the papers too.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
The King can choose his name when he's crowned. It wouldn't surprise me if Charles didn't choose George (one of his 4 names) to become George VII. Edward VIII was known as David in the family.

Correct.

It is assumed that given the negative connotations associated with King Charles, when Prince Charles takes the crown (assuming it ever happens) he'll pick another name like George or Edward.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

On a visit to the Tower I was told by a Beefeater that when he becomes king, Charles will take the title of King George VII as a tribute to his grandfather, it is all agreed apprently. I suggested that he may not become king and give way to William but was told that would only happen if he died before the queen. Other than that happening he will become King George even if on his death bed with hours to live, he will become king.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On a visit to the Tower I was told by a Beefeater...

and you really think a beefeater is privy to such matters?

i reckon we've seen the end of the tradition of changing name, Charles and future monarchs will stick with the name they've been known by.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think you're wrong.

who knows though eh? i wonder if if Charles even does until the time comes.

like your double negative earlier btw, so you dont think he'll be going for George.:lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here