Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bridcutt hails new coach Garcia [The Argus]

Newshound

Brighton 8049
Jun 5, 2011
[h=3]Bridcutt hails new coach Garcia[/h]9:00am Tuesday 23rd July 2013 in Albion By Andy Naylor
2553301.jpg
Liam Bridcutt in action during Albion's Spanish tour. Picture by Paul Hazlewood
Albion*ace Liam Bridcutt has backed the appointment of Oscar Garcia as head coach as he looks forward to testing himself against England.
The midfield lynchpin says the Seagulls have “picked a good guy” in place of Gus Poyet, who was sacked for gross misconduct.
Bridcutt has been named in the Scotland squad with team-mate Gordon Greer to face England in a friendly at Wembley on August 14.
The 24-year-old has been linked with Premier League clubs West Brom and Norwich this summer, as well as promoted pair Cardiff and Hull, after winning Albion’s player of the season accolade in the last two seasons under Poyet.
Bridcutt told The Argus: “I know there has been a lot of talk of me moving clubs but I’m contracted to Brighton so I’m here. I think Brighton have picked a good guy, the kind of manager you want to have around.
“He’s a lot different to Gus, obviously. Gus did a great job for us and we owe him a lot of thanks. It’s a clean sheet now with the new manager.”
Bridcutt made his Scotland debut under Gordon Strachan in a 2-0 defeat in Serbia in March.
The Reading-born defensive shielder, who qualifies through a grandparent, missed the 1-0 win in a World Cup qualifier in Croatia in June following minor ankle surgery.
Greer was called up for that game for the first time since featuring in a B international in 2006 but the centre-half also had to pull out through injury.
The international credentials of both Albion’s 32-year-old Glaswegian captain and Bridcutt have been aided by the continuing presence locally of former Seagulls boss Mark McGhee, Strachan’s assistant.
The Wednesday night England friendly falls in-between Albion’s first home game in the Championship under Oscar against Derby County on August 10 and a trip to Birmingham a week later.
Bridcutt said: “It would be a great game to be involved in. A lot of players would love to play in that and I am looking forward to it, linking up with the squad again.
“International football is going to be a big part of my career now hopefully.”

p-89EKCgBk8MZdE.gif

Original article

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here