Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Off Topic - Employing someone

Maybe not too off topic as I have seen bits and bobs on here about jobs etc.

Sometime in autumn I think we may take on our first full time employee. No idea what rate of pay I should offer or where to advertise.

I'm really looking for someone I can teach every aspect of my business too, with a view to giving them greater control in coming years, which will free me up to go and sell.

Their main task will be simply packing orders, but will progress to dealing with clients on the phone. I don't think I want an apprentice, as I know when I was 16-18 I was more motivated than to take a wage of about £3ph and not sure I would get the right person.

Above all, I will eventually need to trust this person to run the show whilst I'm on holiday or leaving for 2 days to go and watch Albion play Barcelona in the Champions League.

BTW: This is not a job advert as can't be sure on a start date yet. We need to move to our new premises first.

As always, the valued and balanced opinions on NSC are sought.

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
Good luck, I have just been down the same route and discovered that the person you want to run the show may not be the one to start with but it depends on your expansion plans. Be hard with the applications and if possible try to get someone else involved in the interviews as they may pick up things you miss. I found it incredibly hard to ensure you get the right person but also to do justice to the people you interview. What business are you in?

Good luck, I have just been down the same route and discovered that the person you want to run the show may not be the one to start with but it depends on your expansion plans. Be hard with the applications and if possible try to get someone else involved in the interviews as they may pick up things you miss. I found it incredibly hard to ensure you get the right person but also to do justice to the people you interview. What business are you in?

Thanks. We are online retailers selling printer labels. We started from home 5 years ago and are moving into a new office/warehouse in September/October. Currently just me, wife part time and a part time packer. Although I run the show, I still spend 5 hours a day packing up sales, so initially this would be what the newbie would be doing.

I was actually thinking of a fair bit above the minimum wage, at least after a probation period, with the option to increase their salary further if they fit into the new role I have in mind for them.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Remember to think about the hidden costs as well, you may need employers liability insurance, you will need to operate the payroll on an internet based computer, but you can use HMRC online software, if you are going to pay them more than £149 a week. Employers NIC is another extra cost of 13.8% over £148 a week (until next April but then HMRC are giving a new £2000 allowance).

Remember men are entitled to paternity leave but women are entitled to maternity leave of up to a year, it won't cost you but their job will have to be kept open and you will need to employ somebody else on a short term contract to cover them. And of course the 5.6 weeks holiday and entitlement to sick pay.

https://www.gov.uk/employing-staff

Lots of good info here

Remember to think about the hidden costs as well, you may need employers liability insurance, you will need to operate the payroll on an internet based computer, but you can use HMRC online software, if you are going to pay them more than £149 a week. Employers NIC is another extra cost of 13.8% over £148 a week (until next April but then HMRC are giving a new £2000 allowance).

Remember men are entitled to paternity leave but women are entitled to maternity leave of up to a year, it won't cost you but their job will have to be kept open and you will need to employ somebody else on a short term contract to cover them. And of course the 5.6 weeks holiday and entitlement to sick pay.

https://www.gov.uk/employing-staff

Lots of good info here

All 3 members of staff are currently employed (which includes myself), so we have the legal side in the know. Really just fishing to find out what kind of person might want such a job and at what rate of pay.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
do it in the black.....word of mouth - employ someone - make up your own human to human contract....no tax....no HR.....everyone wins :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here