Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bridcutt - interesting choice of words

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
From the Argus: "I know there's been a lot of talk about me moving clubs but I'm contracted to Brighton so I'm here".

Often revealing to read between the lines when players are directly quoted. Sounds like he'd have fancied a move really. Still, if he intends to honour his contract that's admirable these days… and it's hard to imagine Liam ever giving anything less than his best.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
From the Argus: "I know there's been a lot of talk about me moving clubs but I'm contracted to Brighton so I'm here".

Often revealing to read between the lines when players are directly quoted. Sounds like he'd have fancied a move really. Still, if he intends to honour his contract that's admirable these days… and it's hard to imagine Liam ever giving anything less than his best.

I'm thinking there's a lack of enthusiasm in that statement, not convinced he'll still be here come kick off.

I got the impression that he was Gus' main man on the pitch, nearly always came over for a chat with Gus during breaks in play. Maybe and this is just a thought he doesn't feel as committed now with all that's gone on and fancies a change. He's certainly good enough to take a chance on for a Premiership team...just don't let it be Palace.

Last edited:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
So he'd like to play in the EPL (and get paid a lot more) given the chance - no real surprise there. :drama:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I'd put a lot of money on Bridders being with us for the whole of this season. If we don't go up, then that might be time to move on. I believe he will enjoy playing the OG style more than the GP way. Part of a unit moving the ball forward quicker, not spending most of his life helping to move the ball up and down the back line.
He is integral to our side and OG knows that. Bridders is staying put.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak

I don't agree.

From the fact that what he said is short and to the point, that he is happy here and that he will honour his contract.

He probably knows that he will be off to the premier league at one point or another....and from what I've heard, he wants it to be with us. However, being realistic, there are not many pro players who stick with one club...,El Abd is an example of one who probably is like that.

Bridcutt also probably knows that whilst he has been amazing for us in the last couple of seasons, that a different and higher tempo style of play may not suit him. His performance for Scotland was mostly indifferent and it's important to remember that he has had just one season in the championship...if he is sensible, then he will take another season with ourselves and then, depending on where we finish, go and look for a move toward the end of next season.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don't agree.

From the fact that what he said is short and to the point, that he is happy here and that he will honour his contract.

He probably knows that he will be off to the premier league at one point or another....and from what I've heard, he wants it to be with us. However, being realistic, there are not many pro players who stick with one club...,El Abd is an example of one who probably is like that.

Bridcutt also probably knows that whilst he has been amazing for us in the last couple of seasons, that a different and higher tempo style of play may not suit him. His performance for Scotland was mostly indifferent and it's important to remember that he has had just one season in the championship...if he is sensible, then he will take another season with ourselves and then, depending on where we finish, go and look for a move toward the end of next season.

Just one season? Are you sure about that?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't agree.

Not according to most pundits it wasn't. He's now had two seasons in the championship.

Somebody who allegedly knows him suggested that Norwich were interested and I still feel this could be his most likely destination..... eventually.

Although a great loss I'm sure somebody else would step up.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't agree.

I may be making this up and I didn't see the game but I seem to remember he was mom when he played for Scotland. How many games has he played for them?

Also where did he say he was happy in the OP's statement?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I may be making this up and I didn't see the game but I seem to remember he was mom when he played for Scotland. How many games has he played for them?

Also where did he say he was happy in the OP's statement?
He was definitely MoM, & saying that I'm contracted to Brighton is not the same as saying I'm very happy here.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Any other quotes from the interview? A slightly more positive one, perhaps?

Agree. Can't believe this was the only sentence uttered and you need to know the format of the question to determine any underlying agenda. Very easy to take one sentence entirely out of context.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Not worth worrying about.

He'll either be with us this season, or will have left for a 5million fee ( min ).

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Bridders is the player I'd least like to lose, but he's also the player who I'd least begrudge a move.

He's been totally professional all through his BHA career, improved massively as a player, never been disrespectful to the club or its fans, and is obviously good enough for the Prem.

I can't waste time fretting about whether he's staying or not. If a good offer comes in, I'm sure the club won't stand in his way, and I'll wish him all the best for the rest of his career.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed in may but with season nearly here I think odds would be in favour of staying now

Elliott Bennett left just before the season started having said much the same as Liam is saying. Given how transfer activity is likely to accelerate just before the season starts I am not as confident as you

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
From the Argus
Albion ace Liam Bridcutt has backed the appointment of Oscar Garcia as head coach as he looks forward to testing himself against England.

The midfield lynchpin says the Seagulls have “picked a good guy” in place of Gus Poyet, who was sacked for gross misconduct.

Bridcutt has been named in the Scotland squad with team-mate Gordon Greer to face England in a friendly at Wembley on August 14.

The 24-year-old has been linked with Premier League clubs West Brom and Norwich this summer, as well as promoted pair Cardiff and Hull, after winning Albion’s player of the season accolade in the last two seasons under Poyet.

Bridcutt told The Argus: “I know there has been a lot of talk of me moving clubs but I’m contracted to Brighton so I’m here. I think Brighton have picked a good guy, the kind of manager you want to have around.

“He’s a lot different to Gus, obviously. Gus did a great job for us and we owe him a lot of thanks. It’s a clean sheet now with the new manager.”

Bridcutt made his Scotland debut under Gordon Strachan in a 2-0 defeat in Serbia in March.

The Reading-born defensive shielder, who qualifies through a grandparent, missed the 1-0 win in a World Cup qualifier in Croatia in June following minor ankle surgery.

Greer was called up for that game for the first time since featuring in a B international in 2006 but the centre-half also had to pull out through injury.

The international credentials of both Albion’s 32-year-old Glaswegian captain and Bridcutt have been aided by the continuing presence locally of former Seagulls boss Mark McGhee, Strachan’s assistant.

The Wednesday night England friendly falls in-between Albion’s first home game in the Championship under Oscar against Derby County on August 10 and a trip to Birmingham a week later.

Bridcutt said: “It would be a great game to be involved in. A lot of players would love to play in that and I am looking forward to it, linking up with the squad again.

“International football is going to be a big part of my career now hopefully.”

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
From the Argus

I may be banging on here, but he sounds a lot more enthusiastic about being picked for Scotland than he does about next season with us :down:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here