Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So what's the catch with the Three mobile network?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I am way overdue a nice new mobile, currently I am leaning towards a Samsung S4. However, having been on O2 for years and with no issues I am tempted by Three's offer of unlimited data.

On my current O2 SIM only deal I never use the 600 mins and its unlimited text but i am forever getting killed for 3g data charges when out and about with no access to WI FI. My question is what experience people have of the Three network and how they alone of the networks offers unlimited data?

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
I've been with Three since they launched.
Never have come up against any catch, I currently am on The One Plan, gives unlimited data and I was informed in the shop that with that plan it's fine to use my phone as a wifi hotspot, which I do on a regular basis.
Their coverage may not be quite as good as Vodaphone et al but really can't comment on that as it's been years since I had any different.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I changed to 3 just over a year ago and it's been the best reception I've had. I go all around the country when I'm not off sick and I've never had a problem.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I switched from 02 to Three. Cheaper than 02, and the unlimited data pisses over what 02 offered. Excellent reception too!

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
The other selling point was that they announced that they will not charge extra for 4G. I appreciate their 4G might be not till October but all the other operators are talking new more expensive 4G tariffs.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
As a "credit risk" I struggled to get a new contract with anyone new and so have been stuck with O2 for many years now. Their service is average at best these days and the 3G is embarrassingly poor round here.

I would have loved to have jumped ship to 3 given the chance. By all accounts you can actually regularly rely on their 3G signal.

Perhaps the grass is always greener but I'd be keen to hear people's opinions on the reliability of the connection and speeds offered by 3

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
No complaints from me, I have been with them for 5 years, i phone 5 on the one plan. Also got an iPad mini too which costs £25 a month with 15gb of data

BattFink

Jan 31, 2012
Buggers Hole
Another 3 user here.. (Moved from Orange)

Really cannot fault their network, good coverage in all the places I've tried it.

Data transfer rates are excellent (usually close to 20Mb/s), reasonably cheap to use data in Europe (using the euro data add on).. Has been a bit flaky at the Amex for the last few games of the season though (e.g. Full strength signal but no data throughput)

Can't say I've had a problem when I have had to call customer services either

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
As a "credit risk" I struggled to get a new contract with anyone new and so have been stuck with O2 for many years now. Their service is average at best these days and the 3G is embarrassingly poor round here.

I would have loved to have jumped ship to 3 given the chance. By all accounts you can actually regularly rely on their 3G signal.

Perhaps the grass is always greener but I'd be keen to hear people's opinions on the reliability of the connection and speeds offered by 3

I have heard 3 are the easiest of all networks to get a contract with

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
whats the Three signal like between Eastbourne and Haywards Heath? ive recent got on GiffGaff (O2) and its a big fat lump off nothing once out of the towns. worst so far, only network i have tried yet is Three.

one snag with Three, second hand, is the customer service is woeful even by mobile company standards. i do worry that their network might get swamped by 4G when that comes in too.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Signal is sketchy in places but what network's isnt ? Whenever you get signal, it is always 3G too and is very good. Ive been with them a year and there has only been 1 issue - a few months ago the internet wasnt working for 1 day, thats it. No catches at all.

T-Mobile actually refused my credit check (though they said if I paid £30 it would be fine) so I went to 3 - best decision I made regarding a phone.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I have the 3 sim only plan - 200 mins calls - 500MB data - 5000 texts £6.90 a month no complaints at all - cant think of any notable poor reception areas

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
It's not the 3 signal / network that's the problem. When you next have to call customer services you'll understand....

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Been with 3 for 2 years. I believe I take the piss with amount of time I spend surfing with my unlimited usage, but hey ho, they did say unlimited!
I wouldn't use any other company as things stand.
I travel extensively and haven't had too many dead spots within the Uk or abroad.
They will cut you off quickly if you forget to pay your bill though!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Been with 3 for 2 years. I believe I take the piss with amount of time I spend surfing with my unlimited usage, but hey ho, they did say unlimited!
I wouldn't use any other company as things stand.
I travel extensively and haven't had too many dead spots within the Uk or abroad.
They will cut you off quickly if you forget to pay your bill though!

Really ? I accidentally missed one of my contract payments as it comes out of a different account to some other Direct Debits - the customer service centre said it was no problem at all and they would try 1 week later - so they dont cut you off really quickly !!

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
me and family have 4 phones with them for last 7 years,they are brilliant imo,3 members have i phones with unlimited data texts etc and free to three calls,and i have a samsung and my monthy bill is 88.00,stick with them and when you leave they will offer you stupid deals a bit like virgin tv

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I've just paid up my contract with o2 having been with them for as long as I can remember and switched to Three. I've kept my old iPhone (o2 even unlocked it for me) and gone on the all-you-can-eat data PAYG tarrif for £15 per month. I am only in my first month but have no complaints.

My o2 bill was coming to over £130 a month as I was using the data and texting whilst I was at work in France (I couldn't help myself). Now I am on PAYG with three I simply cannot do that so have removed the temptation so that is already £115 saved per month.

I have also been able to tell BT broadband to go **** themselves as I have unlimited data on my phone now. This has saved me another £40 per month. I should add the both my BT and o2 contracts were in the last 2 months which helped as they had no real hold over me.

As you can guess I am Three's biggest fan at the moment and in a couple of months plan to go on The One Plan contract with a Samsung S4 (£31pm) and tethering.

When I informed o2 I was leaving they asked me why? I told them it was to go to Three and take advantage of the unlimited data. They first blatantly lied and said I should be careful as Three had usage restrictions and wouldn't allow YouTube, iPlayer etc to be streamed (Three cojfirmed this as BS), but then just seemed to accept it as if I was the 100th person that day to tell them I was leaving.

Just about everyone I talk to says they are leaving their network to go to Three. Do any of you techies know if everyone in the country went to Three eventually, would the network cope?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here