Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gaming thread - thoughts on OUYA?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
For a long time me and a couple of mates have said how good it would be to have a console that brought together all the games from the consoles we had growing up (SNES, N64, Mega Drive, Playstation etc). I think there would be a genuine market for it.

ouya_0.jpg

Along comes the Ouya. Costs £99, and you are able to install emulators on it for all sorts of old consoles. Apparently it is quite easy to hook up modern Xbox and PS controllers to it as well.

Is there anything else that could compete with this as a sort of game depository? Heard rumours of a Steam console coming, anyone know anything about this?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reviews i've read of the OUYA suggest the production quality is poor on the controller (not seen anything mentioned that you can plug in XBox/PS controllers). the games appear to be flawed if intended to be phone (so touch controled) but decent if controller. emulators... i think still have the same old problems of licences for the actual games. all told, im glad i didnt get one for now, if they work out the gremlins it has potential though.

i wonder how many of your mates have brought the various controller-with-built-in-games devices, theres ones for mega drive and Snes with wide range of the top titles.

A steam console will be very interesting as they are established in the game industry and shouldnt make alot of the mistakes.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
The response to the OUYA has been quite poor, hasn't it? I've heard that it doesn't really deliver the goods

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
For a long time me and a couple of mates have said how good it would be to have a console that brought together all the games from the consoles we had growing up (SNES, N64, Mega Drive, Playstation etc). I think there would be a genuine market for it.

View attachment 45036

Along comes the Ouya. Costs £99, and you are able to install emulators on it for all sorts of old consoles. Apparently it is quite easy to hook up modern Xbox and PS controllers to it as well.

Is there anything else that could compete with this as a sort of game depository? Heard rumours of a Steam console coming, anyone know anything about this?
Why would you not just run the emulators on a PC instead? Even easier to get a 360 controller working on one of those.

The Steam console does look interesting though from what I've heard of it so far, will have to read up some more.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
(not seen anything mentioned that you can plug in XBox/PS controllers).

Have seen vids on youtube of people using Xbox and PS controllers with the Ouya.

Re: controller-with-built-in-games, for me it's still about having ONE place to play ALL your retro games. That's why I'm well up for.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why would you not just run the emulators on a PC instead? Even easier to get a 360 controller working on one of those.

The Steam console does look interesting though from what I've heard of it so far, will have to read up some more.

PC's not as easy to get mates around in the living room. 4 player Mario Kart 64 on an Ouya sounds more appetising.

I think perhaps I'm slightly fighting the Ouya's corner because I WANT it to be the solution. Perhaps it isn't though.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Ive gone for one of these http://www.gamepop.tv/ Got the non Mini version for free (apart from the monthly sub). Felt it was a better option than the Ouya purely because of the people behind it, Bluestacks, who currently offer a solution to allow you to run android apps on your windows or OSX computer

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
PC's not as easy to get mates around in the living room. 4 player Mario Kart 64 on an Ouya sounds more appetising.

I think perhaps I'm slightly fighting the Ouya's corner because I WANT it to be the solution. Perhaps it isn't though.

If you've got a nintendo wii the virtual console has all the good nintendo games on it, including sega games and a few others

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here