Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article on Eng v Aus from CricInfo

larus

I know there's a thread regarding the last test, but I read this and though it was a very good take on the relative positions of the 2 teams.

------------------------------------------------------

As England ground Australia into the dust of Lord's, an odd atmosphere settled over the home of English cricket. In a place where Australia went unbeaten for 75 years, where they lost only four wickets in beating England by an innings in 1993, where Bradman and Border and Massie and McGrath had provoked such misery, there was a realisation of how far England have come and how far their oldest foe has fallen. There was a realisation that a chasm has developed between these two sides.
If that sounds like hyperbole then consider the statistics. England have now won four Tests in a rowagainst Australia. Two of those victories have come by innings margins, another by nearly 350 runs. Where once England went into Ashes series with the pathetically modest ambition of 'competing' with Australia, they now seek to dominate. By the end of this series, they may well be resting players for sterner tests to come.
This is a highly significant moment in English cricket. Rightly or wrongly, Ashes series continue to provide the barometer of English cricket and, on this evidence, it is in fine fettle. While Australia are, arguably, at as low an ebb as they have ever been, England's achievements should not be diminished.
This is the manifestation of years of change in the structure of the domestic game and is rooted in brave decisions taken long ago by half-forgotten committee men. It is due to the introduction of central contracts, four-day cricket, promotion and relegation, investment in A tours, facilities and coaching and the realisation that, after years of defeats, things had to change. Luck has nothing to do with it.
It will not always be like this. Australia are a proud sporting nation with a plethora of natural athletes. It may take some time, but they will recover. It may well be that we come to reflect on these days as the golden age of English cricket.
The bad news for Australia, in the shorter term at least, is that England can play better than this. While they have played some fine cricket in this match, a few of their batsmen are still searching for their best form andGraeme Swann, for all his wickets, is feeling his way back after a series of injury lay-offs.
On a helpful pitch, Swann sometimes looked a little frustrated at Lord's. While he produced some terrific deliveries - he beat Michael Clarke, a renown player of spin, in the flight and should have had him stumped but for a fumble from Matt Prior and foxed Usman Khawaja so often that is almost constituted torture - he was not, by his own very high standards, absolutely at his best.
Since his most recent operation - the second he has undergone on his right elbow - Swann has worked hard on his fitness and looks trimmer than for some years. Due to an unsympathetic schedule, however, he has played only five first-class games this summer - four of them Tests - and has had little chance to settle into the rhythm that has made him so dangerous in the past. Still, to bowl just a little below his best and claim nine wickets in the match is not a bad effort. There is no reason why he will not bowl even better in Manchester.

Statistics rarely tell the full story. Just ask Stuart Broad who bowled particularly well in this Test yet claimed only one wicket. Generating sharp pace, he twice hit Clarke - once full on the badge of his helmet - and maintained a wonderfully nagging line and length while gaining as much movement as any seamer in the game. His fragility remains a concern, but Broad's bowling has returned to the standard it reached in the UAE nearly 18 months ago.
There is room for improvement in England's batting, too. England's opening partnerships in this series - 27, 11, 18 and 22 - have been modest and in this Test they recovered from 28 for 3 in the first innings and 30 for 3 in the second. But it says much for England's dominance in this series that Kevin Pietersen's possible absence from Manchester is not provoking the concern that it did in 2009 or 2012.
It remains to be seen how Australia react to this defeat. The efforts of their tenth-wicket pair suggest there is still defiance in their dressing room but, until that moment, it appeared a light had gone out in Australian cricket. There is precedent in a side coming from 2-0 down to win a five-match series - it happened in the Ashes series of 1936-37 when Australia prevailed 3-2 - but this Australia side contains no Bradman. It is not a realistic scenario.
England look too strong. Joe Root has now cemented his position at the top of the order and is a fast-improving second spinner, Ian Bell is in the form of his life and the return of Tim Bresnan allowed England to play a remorseless brand of cricket that suffocates opposition. Half of the overs Bresnan delivered on the final day were maidens and his reliability provided no release of pressure for Australia. England may not be the prettiest or most eye-catching opponent, but they have developed a relentless style of cricket that renders them painfully difficult to defeat. It will take a miracle to deny them the Ashes from here.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its widely being reported that people would rather see an England win in a very close series but personally I would love to see a five nil stuffing with us winning the last 3 tests by massive margins, but then I did grow up seeing "black washes" if you are allowed to call it them today and disasterous ashes series.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Its widely being reported that people would rather see an England win in a very close series but personally I would love to see a five nil stuffing with us winning the last 3 tests by massive margins, but then I did grow up seeing "black washes" if you are allowed to call it them today and disasterous ashes series.
Whilst I see your point I would rather have three more tests like the First Test rather than the Second Test - that might just be me though, as I tend to feel less patriotic about cricket and would rather see a good game (I fell out of love with the England cricket team and their captains at various points in the '80s and '90s).

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

I am with you there. We need to absolutely stuff them. Send them home crying, then stuff them again in Oz.

We just know that England dominance will not last long, so we have to make the most of it!

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

Agreed. Desperate for a 5-0 to avenge the 2007 series over there. Not until we have done that can we say that we are on a par with the Ozzies.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
The Aussies have ruled the roost for too long. I can remember Border, Taylor and the Waughs batting us to death and Alderman, Lawson, Warne and McGrath with their unrelenting bowling making us look like school boys.

No, I'm hoping for 5-0, where the Australians are lucky to get 0!

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
The Aussies have ruled the roost for too long. I can remember Border, Taylor and the Waughs batting us to death and Alderman, Lawson, Warne and McGrath with their unrelenting bowling making us look like school boys.

No, I'm hoping for 5-0, where the Australians are lucky to get 0!

And Merv, there was a great bit about him during lunchtime at the weekend

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Nice to see England winning well. However, this must be the worst Australian top six to have played for a very long time. The bowling is not a lot better. I think Australian cricket in general, including Shield cricket must be at it's lowest point.
They have clearly failed to develop replacements for the likes of Ponting, Hussey and Katich.

I can see Bangladesh or Zimbabwe giving the current lot a close game.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I 100% support the sentiments expressed so far. Crush them! And keep on beating them for another twenty years, THEN I might get bored and yearn for a more competitive Australia.

The target must be a 10-0, or at least a 5-0 in England. It won't happen though, they can't bat that badly again, which is why it's essential that we revel in our current massive superiority whilst it lasts.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Nice to see England winning well. However, this must be the worst Australian top six to have played for a very long time. The bowling is not a lot better. I think Australian cricket in general, including Shield cricket must be at it's lowest point.
They have clearly failed to develop replacements for the likes of Ponting, Hussey and Katich.

Ponting and Hussey should still be playing. Both still significantly better than every Australian batsman bar Clarke.

Obviously that isn't going to happen, mind.

If I were Lehmann, I'd drop Agar, who is utterly toothless in his main role. Smith is at least as dangerous a spinner, and given that role, would balance the side better.

Drop watson down to his proper batting position at 6, and let Rogers open with somebody who is prepared to actually try to build an innings:

Rogers
Cowan?
Khawaja
Hughes
Clarke
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Siddle
Harris
Starc

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
This stat just about sums up Australia's batting woes

Australia's tenth wicket partnership has added 497 runs in Tests in 2013 and averages 45.18, the highest for them this year. The 163-run tenth wicket partnership between Phillip Hughes and Ashton Agar in the Trent Bridge Test is also their highest partnership for any wicket this year. Australia's tenth wicket partnership has added 295 runs in two Tests in this Ashes series. This is already the third highest runs added for the tenth wicket by a team in any Ashes series. The most England have added for their tenth wicket in a single Ashes series was 243 runs in 1903-04.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Ponting and Hussey should still be playing. Both still significantly better than every Australian batsman bar Clarke.

Obviously that isn't going to happen, mind.

If I were Lehmann, I'd drop Agar, who is utterly toothless in his main role. Smith is at least as dangerous a spinner, and given that role, would balance the side better.

Drop watson down to his proper batting position at 6, and let Rogers open with somebody who is prepared to actually try to build an innings:

Rogers
Cowan?
Khawaja
Clarke
Smith
Watson
Haddin
Siddle
Pattison
Harris
Starc

I'd agree with dropping Agar but I'd bring Lyon in. They also have a Pakistani spinner awaiting qualification at the moment that they seen to rate highly. Smith couldn't operate as a front line spinner IMHO, he dangerous but seriously lacks control.

With the Watson thing, the England bowlers must love knowing he's opening, you might get a bit of tap but he's also a walking wicket. Totally agree with moving him back doen the order and bringing Cowan back into open (a role he had some success in previously I believe.)

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd agree with dropping Agar but I'd bring Lyon in. They also have a Pakistani spinner awaiting qualification at the moment that they seen to rate highly. Smith couldn't operate as a front line spinner IMHO, he dangerous but seriously lacks control.

With the Watson thing, the England bowlers must love knowing he's opening, you might get a bit of tap but he's also a walking wicket. Totally agree with moving him back doen the order and bringing Cowan back into open (a role he had some success in previously I believe.)

I've just edited my team above, as I left Hughes out by mistake.

Him in for the massively over-rated Pattinson, puts Haddin at eight. Line up looks stronger, albeit relies on Smith and Watson to bowl.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I hope it is a 5-0 humiliation, just to hear Glenn McGrath, and well known metrosexual, Shane Warne whingeing like little girls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here