Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non Sport......How do you stand? Veil ban 2010 France.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Bearing in mind our mainstream media are ignoring the recent riots in the Trappes area of Paris concerning the below mentioned law I wonder what your take is on the situation. It is after all the law, is it heavy handed or should no one disobey this?

"Act prohibiting concealment of the face in public space") is an act of parliament passed by the Senate of France on 14 September 2010, resulting in the ban on the wearing of face-covering headgear, including masks, helmets, balaclava, niqābs and other veils covering the face in public places, except under specified circumstances.[1] The ban also applies to the burqa, a full-body covering, if it covers the face. The bill had previously been passed by the National Assembly of France on 13 July 2010.[2]

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm not a lover of things french, but in light of terrorism risks in this day and age I totally agree with them. If it upsets peoples beliefs, they can always go back to their own country. This isn't meant to be provocative or racist but froggies gaff, their rules etc

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
A ban on a kind of clothing is absolutely ridiculous.

and whilst I can kind of understand a ban on balaclava's as we've all seen images of balaclava-clad youths smashing up shops, I have to say I've never seen a horde of veil-clad women having a go at the rozzers.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
France makes it quite clear to the world it's a very secular state, it's been that way for a long time. It doesn't need to consider the religious aspect of a piece of clothing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Agree, No place for Muslim practices in the 21st century. Ridiculous, outdated and in most cases, a downright illegal religion. The enforced wearing of burka and other oppressive measures towards their woman folk NEEDS to be opposed wherever encountered. I'd be happy to see it outlawed in this country. Muslims need to be put back into line.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Given that face coverings are worn by women and most (correct me if I am wrong here) terrorists are men. I don't really see the correlation between terrorism and face coverings. I don't really see how this is going to impact the fight against terrorism excelt to further upset the terrorists and make them more likely to terror.

I suppose it may stop them wearing balaclavas while they do it.

Don't get it myself.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Agree, No place for Muslim practices in the 21st century. Ridiculous, outdated and in most cases, a downright illegal religion. The enforced wearing of burka and other oppressive measures towards their woman folk NEEDS to be opposed wherever encountered. I'd be happy to see it outlawed in this country. Muslims need to be put back into line.

All religions are outdated and irrelevant today. They are a thing of the past when people needed myth to deal with what they couldn't comprehend.

But if people want to carry on with the story then i wouldn't want to see it banned, whatever sort of 'team' they support.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
All religions are outdated and irrelevant today. They are a thing of the past when people needed myth to deal with what they couldn't comprehend.

But if people want to carry on with the story then i wouldn't want to see it banned, whatever sort of 'team' they support.

Any institution that actively preaches, practices and advocates the destruction of our way of life and the oppression of our peoples should be pursued, questioned, opposed and if need be shut down. ANY institution.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Given that face coverings are worn by women and most (correct me if I am wrong here) terrorists are men. I don't really see the correlation between terrorism and face coverings. I don't really see how this is going to impact the fight against terrorism excelt to further upset the terrorists and make them more likely to terror.

Don't get it myself.

Didn't this law come about after some men had been wearing a full Burkha and weren't stopped and asked for ID/to reveal their face due to the outcry it would cause?

I am sure there was something that happened along those lines but, as usual, I could be wrong

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Any institution that actively preaches, practices and advocates the destruction of our way of life and the oppression of our peoples should be pursued, questioned, opposed and if need be shut down. ANY institution.

Any institution? Since when has Islam been an institution? Come to that, since when has Islam preached, advocated and practiced the destruction of our way of life? Think you may be thinking of some of the nutters who happen to follow it. A bit like those christian or jewish nutters that oppress at will using religion as their reason too.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Don't get it myself.

I had this conversation with some french chums a while back and their take on the whole situation was the legislation was initially introduced because the French public was generally as a whole completely and utterly frustrated at seeing people endlessly rioting wearing all sorts of face coverings and the police having no power to do anything about it.As the matter was further looked into the legal side of it took over and religious wear was included in the proposed ban.This then became the focus of the anti brigade and we now have everyone believing the ban is purely and simply about being anti muslim......when it clearly was never intended to be that.

just another perspective that is all

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Any institution? Since when has Islam been an institution? Come to that, since when has Islam preached, advocated and practiced the destruction of our way of life? Think you may be thinking of some of the nutters who happen to follow it. A bit like those christian or jewish nutters that oppress at will using religion as their reason too.

There is no place for Islam in a modern, free thinking world. Islam is a repressive institution and should be thrown out of the UK.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I had this conversation with some french chums a while back and there take on the whole situation was the legislation was initially introduced because the French public was generally as a whole completely and utterly frustrated at seeing people endlessly rioting wearing all sorts of face coverings and the police having no power to do anything about it.As the matter was further looked into the legal side of it took over and religious wear was included in the proposed ban.This then became the focus of the anti brigade and we now have everyone believing the ban is purely and simply about being anti muslim......when it clearly was never intended to be that.

just another perspective that is all

That makes sense to me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Apologies if this comes across as a bit far right-ish, but if you emigrate to a country be it France, UK, Australia or wherever, shouldn't you adopt that country's practice in terms of dress and culture rather than impose your own (I do realise it doesn't happen). I accept the religious argument and the fact that in some instances, circumstances dictate emigrating elsewhere, but surely it's about respecting the culture that already exists.

So in terms of the thread agree with the ban.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
There is no place for Islam in a modern, free thinking world. Islam is a repressive institution and should be thrown out of the UK.

Fair play Nibble. The inability to spot the obvious heavy irony in your post demonstrates a remarkably robust attitude. I salute you, sir.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here