Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick question on summer tournaments, for those involved in running kids football clubs...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hi people. I know there's a good few on here who are involved in junior clubs. If any of you are involved in putting on summer tournaments, can you tell me please, how much do you pay your REFEREES?

I ask because my 14 year old is a newly qualified ref, and he did his first appointment today - a monster 6- a-side tournament. He was there at 8.30 am, reffed 34 matches, and did not finish until 7.30pm. In the afternoon session he did 18 x 8 minute games, without a single break, in 31 degrees.

His reward for his efforts was £25, which did not seem to me to be very fair. Nor was there any mention of travel expenses, toward my 40 mile round trip to get him there. I should have voiced my thoughts to them at the time, but did not wish to embarrass him on his first gig.

Is this right and normal in your experience.

Many thanks

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Seems a bit harsh - but good on him for his efforts.

Did you take the £25 for the petrol?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I would have thought his first port of call would be the people that trained him or other refs in the tournament. Stable door and bolted springs to mind for this occassion so put it down to experience but I would have thought travel expenses should have been included. I'll be managing an U10 girls team next year and according to the rules, refs get travel expenses based on standard fares on public transport or 32p a mile upto £35. Have to say £25 sounds woefully short for the amount he did.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Usually we get the coaches of the other teams to referee matches that their club isn't involved in...they aren't paid!

Keith1969

May 18, 2013
I live in the North East and we would have paid £50 for the day +travel expenses I suppose your 1st port of call is your local FA to ask their going rate.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Quick question on summer tournaments, for those involved in running kids foot...

Doesn't sound much at all tbh, I used a ref from NSC for a 9 a side friendly a couple of weeks ago 11am-12.30 and paid £18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hi people. I know there's a good few on here who are involved in junior clubs. If any of you are involved in putting on summer tournaments, can you tell me please, how much do you pay your REFEREES?

I ask because my 14 year old is a newly qualified ref, and he did his first appointment today - a monster 6- a-side tournament. He was there at 8.30 am, reffed 34 matches, and did not finish until 7.30pm. In the afternoon session he did 18 x 8 minute games, without a single break, in 31 degrees.

His reward for his efforts was £25, which did not seem to me to be very fair. Nor was there any mention of travel expenses, toward my 40 mile round trip to get him there. I should have voiced my thoughts to them at the time, but did not wish to embarrass him on his first gig.

Many thanks

He's 14, why should anyone pay him. 25 quid for a days work for a 14 yr old? Not bad. Stop being a knob.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's 14, why should anyone pay him. 25 quid for a days work for a 14 yr old? Not bad. Stop being a knob.

I'm not sure how just asking people here for some info, construes 'being a knob', but just in case for once, you're not just fishing, how about "because if they didn't, they'd have no tournament, and no means to raise the money they need to fund their club"?

Anyway, his age, other than to explain why I personally was asking the question, isn't especially relevant. There were 8 refs there, including 5 adults. All were paid the same.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I'm not sure how just asking people here for some info, construes 'being a knob', but just in case for once, you're not just fishing, how about "because if they didn't, they'd have no tournament, and no means to raise the money they need to fund their club"?

Anyway, his age, other than to explain why I personally was asking the question, isn't especially relevant. There were 8 refs there, including 5 adults. All were paid the same.

Nonsense

Edit. I think you meant constitutes not construes.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Quick question on summer tournaments, for those involved in running kids footba

It varies from tournament to tournament. However the view is that as they referee normal games of 60-90 minutes for £25-£35 per match during the normal season and because they are still only refereeing, on average 70 minutes at a Small Sided Tournament, they shouldn't receive anymore than they would normally do.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would have thought his first port of call would be the people that trained him or other refs in the tournament. Stable door and bolted springs to mind for this occassion so put it down to experience but I would have thought travel expenses should have been included. I'll be managing an U10 girls team next year and according to the rules, refs get travel expenses based on standard fares on public transport or 32p a mile upto £35. Have to say £25 sounds woefully short for the amount he did.

Thanks. Agree with what you say, but I didn't want to embarrass him by questionning it in front of them.

Sounds cheap as chips.

Decent experience I guess though.

Definitely that. He had a lot to do, and gained plenty from it.

I live in the North East and we would have paid £50 for the day +travel expenses I suppose your 1st port of call is your local FA to ask their going rate.

Thanks. I'll not make a fuss, but I'll politely ask the referee appointments chap.

Doesn't sound much at all tbh, I used a ref from NSC for a 9 a side friendly a couple of weeks ago 11am-12.30 and paid £18.

Thanks. Actually, the fees for actually matches are published, so that's known beforehand here. Maybe just tournaments vary.

Cheers all.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It varies from tournament to tournament. However the view is that as they referee normal games of 60-90 minutes for £25-£35 per match during the normal season and because they are still only refereeing, on average 70 minutes at a Small Sided Tournament, they shouldn't receive anymore than they would normally do.

If that were the case I'd agree completely. But he did 34 matches, of 8 minutes apiece. 272 minutes.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004

Many thanks

I've re read this and seen the length of and amount of matches. Can u pm me with the name of the club and I will get some advice from a County FA rep for you.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would have said a minimum £50, I think a referee for a full match is either £20 / £25 plus mileage.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
I would have thought they should have factored in travel expenses, for someone of his age I would have thought say 40 for the day plus a mileage allowance..

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In my day kids were expected to do such things and appreciated the chance and if we didn't we certainly wouldn't have expected our Father's to ask about money on our behalf. Bloody sad state of affairs.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
In my day kids were expected to do such things and appreciated the chance and if we didn't we certainly wouldn't have expected our Father's to ask about money on our behalf. Bloody sad state of affairs.

Just to humour you Nibble, he hasn't even mentioned the money, nor has he 'expected me to ask on his behalf'. I'm merely curious, as I don't like to see people taken advantage of.

Perhaps if you actually read what people write, it would help?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004

Speaking as someone heavily involved in youth football, I would say that I think you aren't appreciative of how the game is run at grassroots level.

There is a massive shortage of referees in this country...mostly because people don't want to have to put up with the stick that they get given by people who are living in the past with their mentality to football.

So, how would you propose we get young men and women into the game to referee the 500+ matches every sunday morning in the winter?

Having refereed matches voluntarily, I can tell you it's a bloody horrible job sometimes and there are certain places you go to which are a nightmare....I didn't get involved in youth football to be verbally abused at every opportunity!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here