Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar nearly joing us as a player . . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
According to Ozzie himself (on seagull player). Sorry if this has been discussed . . . . if so I missed it (I have my asbestos pants on just in case).

When did this happen? He says he's been 'following' our fortunes ever since, and agreed to manage because of his 'feelings'.

His English is very decent, and he seems like a calm and sensible lad.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Argus says some time between 2000-2004.

He is 40 now so would have been 31 or younger. We were going from League Two to Championship strugglers.

I really find this hard to believe considering our stature and budget at the time. No reason for him to say it if it isn't true though. What a flair signing we nearly had on our hands.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I really find this hard to believe.

From the mouth of the man himself . . . .

My guess it was probably Hinsh. Remember when he was invited to take a couple of loanees from Arsenal and wanted them to loan us Bergkamp? Lol!

Interesting that Ozzie probably though were were a mad club, and yet years later when offered the manager's job, his romantic Spanish spirit said 'yes'. Funny how things work out....

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
From the mouth of the man himself . . . .

My guess it was probably Hinsh. Remember when he was invited to take a couple of loanees from Arsenal and wanted them to loan us Bergkamp? Lol!

Interesting that Ozzie probably though were were a mad club, and yet years later when offered the manager's job, his romantic Spanish spirit said 'yes'. Funny how things work out....

Came out wrong. Didn't mean I didn't believe it, just flabbergasted by it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He probably took one look at Withdean and thought he'd be mad to play at a dump like that.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
He probably MET Dick Tight and HOT footed it back to SPAIN as QUICK as he could

Though I love your saucy threads Ernest, I still don't get all this 'Dick Tight' stuff, is there something I've missed?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Though I love your saucy threads Ernest, I still don't get all this 'Dick Tight' stuff, is there something I've missed?

It's an 'hilarious' pun to rhyme Tight with Knight.
'Poodle Perry' was his affectionate name for Our, at the time, CEO.

They always have and always will make me cringe. Funny for five seconds.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
It's an 'hilarious' pun to rhyme Tight with Knight.
'Poodle Perry' was his affectionate name for Our, at the time, CEO.

They always have and always will make me cringe. Funny for five seconds.

Well thanks for clearing that one up for me :thumbsup:

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
I'm 99% sure it was around the summer of 2004 when he had left Espanyol and before he signed for Lleida. At this point he obviously dropped down to play for Lleida, so maybe at 31 he felt he was passed his best days and fancied a change. Not too dis-similar to the likes of vicente and dave. Mark McGhee would have been the manager at a time when we also signed a few forign players, the likes of molango, carole, frutos and co, so that would make sense.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm 99% sure it was around the summer of 2004 when he had left Espanyol and before he signed for Lleida. At this point he obviously dropped down to play for Lleida, so maybe at 31 he felt he was passed his best days and fancied a change. Not too dis-similar to the likes of vicente and dave. Mark McGhee would have been the manager at a time when we also signed a few forign players, the likes of molango, carole, frutos and co, so that would make sense.

Could well be right; that summer, we had 3 foreign trialists - Maheta Molango, Ibrahim Tankary and Zsombres Kerekes.

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Could well be right; that summer, we had 3 foreign trialists - Maheta Molango, Ibrahim Tankary and Zsombres Kerekes.

It all fits in. Just being promoted back into the 2nd tier of english football and i think i'm right in saying that it was during that season that planning permission for the new ground was granted. Possibly could have been used to tempt him??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here