Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone experienced an earthquake

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Experienced a 6 on the richter scale earthquake today, biggest one I have experienced in the 2 years I've been here, weird experience. At the mo NZ is shaking like a good un. I hope a big one isn't coming, there has been 2 in the last half hour.

Harry H

Comfortably numb.
Aug 11, 2010
We've had a good dozen in the last ten years where I live.With the worst being at Lorca.
We are told that lots of smaller ones are good as they relieve the stresses that lead up to a big one.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Experienced a 6 on the richter scale earthquake today, biggest one I have experienced in the 2 years I've been here, weird experience. At the mo NZ is shaking like a good un. I hope a big one isn't coming, there has been 2 in the last half hour.

Thankfully not. Keep safe topbanana.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Was in Christchurch just after the big one.
Spent 4 weeks there during the clean-up and we felt at least a dozen a day.
Never experienced anything like that in my life.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Years ago. Ironically, in Wellington, New Zealand.

It was a weird sensation. I actually wasn't fully aware of what had happened until after the event. I was on the platform at Wellington Station at the time. It was a sensation that you get when on a ferry, but it didn't occur to me I was experiencing an earthquake, abet a minor one.

I was told by a local afterwards: A sign an earthquake is imminent, all the birds stop singing a few minutes before. Not sure if he was for real or it was a pile of bull?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
They're a pretty regular occurrence here. Interesting experience if you're in a tall building. Hope everything is o.k in N.Z. Am I right in thinking a lot of the buildings aren't designed to withstand earthquakes?

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
Had one when I was asleep in Zante about 10 years ago. Genuinely thought my mates were shaking my bed and was a bit confused when the room was empty and was shaking. Broke my aftershave when it fell off the side too. Never has a boys room smelt so good.

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
there was one about six years ago centred on Market Rasen ,5.1 from what i recall but was so far underground there was only very minor damage. I was in bed at the time and thought the house was subsiding !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The ground moves for NSC member Woodchip on a regular basis. Stay safe fella!

(Has NZ always been like that or is just more widely reported nowadays anybody know?)

Nearest I ever came was a three point something in Crete once, just enough to wobble chairs on the balcony. Still made the papers back home.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Earlier this year I slept through one in Lake Garda Italy, apparently minor quakes are a feature of that part of the world.

Only found out from the Hotel staff in the morning, a couple of aperitifs plus a bottle of red over dinner no doubt soothed me into a deep slumber.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
Talking about woodchip he's been quiet recently. Somebody told me they had something like 3000 aftershocks since the last big earthquake. Christchurch had 5 yesterday alone. Frightening stuff.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
They're a pretty regular occurrence here. Interesting experience if you're in a tall building. Hope everything is o.k in N.Z. Am I right in thinking a lot of the buildings aren't designed to withstand earthquakes?

There was one in Tokyo when I was out there in 2002 for the world cup. Very bizarre sensation. I was in my hotel room and I everything just moved looked up and the quiet sign that you hang on your door was swinging wildly. Went and had a look out the window and all the aerials on the tops of building were swinging.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I remember one here about 30 years ago. Shook the windows but no damage.

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
The largest one I felt was the 7.3 Landers quake in Southern Cal, followed by a 6.5 aftershock. You could feel the shock waves roll under your feet and see the walls of the house sway side to side...seemed to last for ages. Most of the smaller ones are just a sharp jolt, and you get to the point where you really don't pay much attention to them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here