Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cycling.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I've recently discovered I love cycling and I have decided I want to start cycling a lot more. I was looking at this bike:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/roux/conquest-2300-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec051745
Does anyone know if it is any good? Or if there is a better alternative for less money for someone who wants to be able to go quite quickly but also be able to go on fairly rough ground? I am also looking for something that will last and will not need too much maintenance. This bike is at the very top price I would go to. Currently I am using a cheap mountain bike, but I would like something a bit better then that.

Also, does anyone know of a good route to go from Polegate to Lewes, which consists of mainly cycle paths?

Thanks in advance,
A complete cycling novice.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If only there was some kind of thread, already set up, full of cycling geeks!!

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I've recently discovered I love cycling and I have decided I want to start cycling a lot more. I was looking at this bike:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/roux/conquest-2300-2013-cyclocross-bike-ec051745
Does anyone know if it is any good? Or if there is a better alternative for less money for someone who wants to be able to go quite quickly but also be able to go on fairly rough ground? I am also looking for something that will last and will not need too much maintenance. This bike is at the very top price I would go to. Currently I am using a cheap mountain bike, but I would like something a bit better then that.

Also, does anyone know of a good route to go from Polegate to Lewes, which consists of mainly cycle paths?

Thanks in advance,
A complete cycling novice.

I'd suggest that you re-post this in the 'Cycling Geeks' thread, where loads of seasoned cyclists will compete to give you the best advice. I know nothing about Roux bikes, but am considering getting a cyclo-cross bike myself soon - but I'd imagine that at £550 you're getting a good entry level bike.

Polegate to Lewes:- head past Arlington stadium, past Ashurst Wood, then right to Berwick Station. Left after another mile, then it's Ripe, Laughton, Ringmer, Lewes. Most of it beautiful country roads with not a lot of traffic.

But as I say, get yourself over to Cycling Geeks.

Polegate to Lewes:- head past Arlington stadium, past Ashurst Wood, then right to Berwick Station. Left after another mile, then it's Ripe, Laughton, Ringmer, Lewes. Most of it beautiful country roads with not a lot of traffic.
That is quite a distance - and an indication of how poorly served cyclists are in parts of East Sussex. The direct A27 route between Polegate and Lewes is plainly unsafe, so the only alternative is fiddling around on country lanes.

You might care to try an alternative beyond Berwick Station. As above, go north from the station and turn left towards Ripe; but then take the first left (signposted to Selmeston), rather than carry on as far as Chalvington and Ripe; then first right, along a long straight and narrow road called Langtye Lane; at the crossroads, turn left (signposted to Firle), past Bracknell Towers and down to the A27 - just before the A27, you need to turn right along the route of the former main road (not the Firle Straight, which is the current main road) until you reach the cycle lane at the end, which will take you all the way to Lewes, on the northern side of the A27.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
If only there was some kind of thread, already set up, full of cycling geeks!!
Sorry, I thought that thread was just for a Tour de France fantasy league.
That is quite a distance - and an indication of how poorly served cyclists are in parts of East Sussex. The direct A27 route between Polegate and Lewes is plainly unsafe, so the only alternative is fiddling around on country lanes.

You might care to try an alternative beyond Berwick Station. As above, go north from the station and turn left towards Ripe; but then take the first left (signposted to Selmeston), rather than carry on as far as Chalvington and Ripe; then first right, along a long straight and narrow road called Langtye Lane; at the crossroads, turn left (signposted to Firle), past Bracknell Towers and down to the A27 - just before the A27, you need to turn right along the route of the former main road (not the Firle Straight, which is the current main road) until you reach the cycle lane at the end, which will take you all the way to Lewes, on the northern side of the A27.

I'd suggest that you re-post this in the 'Cycling Geeks' thread, where loads of seasoned cyclists will compete to give you the best advice. I know nothing about Roux bikes, but am considering getting a cyclo-cross bike myself soon - but I'd imagine that at £550 you're getting a good entry level bike.

But as I say, get yourself over to Cycling Geeks.
Thanks, I'll have to try both of those routes at some point.

D

Deleted member 18477

Well done for choosing to cycle on a cycling path and not a road full of cars!

Ever since bradley wiggins won le tour last year cyclists have multiplied in their f-ing hundreds! The other day i came across 10 all in a line thinking they were team sky clearly making it impossible to overtake them! Wouldnt mind if they were team sky because they'd probably go the speed limit on most roads apart from the motorway but these useless riders were a pain in the arse!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry, I thought that thread was just for a Tour de France fantasy league.
Even if that were the case, and it was a 400 page thread solely devoted to Fantasy cycling, don't you think there would be some posters with bike knowledge there too?

And yes I am a little ticked off with twatty comments made on the alternative Chris Froome thread, and yes I am taking them out on you, sorry.

You only need a cyclocross bike if you are going to stick to 'off road' riding.
They are heavier and the geometry is different, making fitting a little harder.

You might want to think about buying a road bike and changing the tyres for something more robust.
As said you really need to be sure where you will be doing the bulk of your riding.

You need to buy the bike you enjoy and fits well, you will ride it much much more.

Have a look at these:-

http://road.cc/content/news/72001-best-entry-level-road-bikes-under-£500

Then buy the Scott!!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here