Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cat advice

Sanction has been given for the Potting family to acquire a cat after we come back from our hols. I know that cats polarise opinion on this board but would appreciate advice from the cat lovers regarding the following:-

• What is best to begin with - pre owned cat or a kitten.
  • Where is a good place to get one (we are in the North of the fair county) - "cats-r-us", animal sanctuary (know any good ones?).
  • What is the approximate running cost of the average kitty?
  • Pet insurance - worth it or not and who is the best value.

All pussy related advice gratefully received.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Be a man, get a dog.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Whatever you end up with get pet insurance. Ours got run over last year, saved 2k in vet bills.

Without the insurance it would have been night night kitty.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Whatever you do please consider adopting a rescue cat, they've probably had a crap life and there are thousands upon thousands of homeless cats in shelters whilst backyard breeders pump out more kittens.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Sanction has been given for the Potting family to acquire a cat after we come back from our hols. I know that cats polarise opinion on this board but would appreciate advice from the cat lovers regarding the following:-

• Where is a good place to get one (we are in the North of the fair county) - "cats-r-us", animal sanctuary (know any good ones?).

1 - doesn't matter
2 - Cats Protection. DO NOT USE A PET SHOP
3 - not much, although pet insurance can get expensive, especially for a cat over 10. Get a cat flap unless traffic is an issue. A tin of cat food a day £1, litter tray, cat litter £2, a few cat toys, brush and comb, don't bother with a cat bed because it will sleep where it wants, injections and annual booster (£30?). Microchip (CP will do it for a small fee), collar and tag with name and phone number
4 - insurance can get expensive, but so are vets bills if anything serious happens - use some price comparison sites. Read the small print because they are all different. I use M&S, Pet Plan, used to use John Lewis but the prices shot up - like all other insurance they rely on you renewing without checking alternatives
http://www.cats.org.uk/
http://www.icatcare.org/

Last edited:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
We had a cat when I was a kid, we went on holiday one year for a fortnight and found the cattery cost a fortune as we had no one to feed her, for our next holiday instead of the cattery we had her put down and bought a new kitten when we got home. Saved us a fortune.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Mrs SoC and I are serial cat owners and happy to offer advice.

Try the Raystede Sanctuary at Ringmer. I would also suggest phoning Mrs Tiller of Dartvale Cattery at Ringmer who was very helpful when we re-homed two rescued cats. She is also involved with The Cats Protection League. Plus if you ever get a chance ask about her land speed drive at Bonneville Salt Flats a few years ago...........I think she did something like 150mph, I kid you not. Rock 'n roll!

There will be plenty of 'rescued' cats either waiting at Raystede or Mrs Tiller will know of any that are need of a loving home so you will be able to choose from many. Do take your time to find one that suits your circumstances. You should also think about having a pair as they are company for each other plus should avoid splitting up any that have previously lived together.

Be aware that you and your home environment will be 'vetted' as suitable owners too......before they will let you adopt.

We feed our current cat on 2 'Felix' sachets per day plus a handful of cat biscuits plus drinking water and any leftovers we have. Invariably boxes of Felix are offer in supermarkets most weeks and I suggest allowing around £5 per week per cat.

Vets bills should be budgeted for - an annual 'MOT' is necessary, including jabs for things like feline leukaemia can total around £75 pa per cat (essential for these to be kept up to date if you ever expect to use a cattery eg when you are on hols) plus allow £20 pa for periodic anti flea / worm treatments you can buy and apply yourself.

The cat should also be micro-chipped, especially if you have a cat flap and intend to let it wander (it will!). Even so it is good to have a litter tray etc when you first adopt and keep the cat indoors for 2-3 weeks so it gets comfortable with its new surroundings and family.

I think the pros and cons of pet insurance were recently reviewed by 'Which' magazine and the report might be accessible through your local library. We have never bothered with insurance even though we have been hit for some big-ish vet bills especially when the cat gets older and needs a tooth removed or medication for ailments. If you take the view of costs averaged over say a 15 year feline lifetime then IMHO it is not too excessive, unless you are unlucky.

Good luck. Cats are good companions and will reward your attention, but also sufficiently independent that you don't need to give them 24/7 care.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If you get a male, and find him particularly strong willed, make sure the vets can handle strong cats.

The vets who couldn't handle my cat and let him escape last year refuse to see him again. They refer to him as "Hulk" and won't treat him again. Pretty poor show in my opinion.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you get a male, and find him particularly strong willed, make sure the vets can handle strong cats.

The vets who couldn't handle my cat and let him escape last year refuse to see him again. They refer to him as "Hulk" and won't treat him again. Pretty poor show in my opinion.

Knucker, for that was his name, was a 3 legged psychocat we rehomed.
The nails on his front withered paw needed regular pruning but it was difficult so we used to get the vet to do it.

Took him down once, and it was a locum vet.

So there I am pulling Knucker from his basket, backwards, after a short while the vet said:-
'Christ how much more of him is there'.

Finally out, I explained what needed to be done.
The ashen faced vet, left, then returned wearing a full arm gauntlet glove, goggles and an apron.

Knucker got the submission in the 5 round.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Cats moult like fu*k at certain times of the year (?), so make sure you get one of a colour that you wouldn't mind it's discarded hair all over your three piece suite :)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Knucker, for that was his name, was a 3 legged psychocat we rehomed.
The nails on his front withered paw needed regular pruning but it was difficult so we used to get the vet to do it.

Took him down once, and it was a locum vet.

So there I am pulling Knucker from his basket, backwards, after a short while the vet said:-
'Christ how much more of him is there'.

Finally out, I explained what needed to be done.
The ashen faced vet, left, then returned wearing a full arm gauntlet glove, goggles and an apron.

Knucker got the submission in the 5 round.

:clap:

Magnificent story! Starting with the rehoming, progressing to the lack of dignity in removing him from the basket, then peaked at the fear of the vet! :lolol:

I'm genuinely all for cats being spirited. The young lady I rehomed was a nightmare on her way to the vets (different one), she screamed the whole way. Then when she got in the room, she went all meek and quiet. She had the anal thermometer popped up therr without fuss and happily strolled back into the carrier after. I was almost a bit disappointed!

Fight on, Tiger. :bowdown:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

1) In my experience, cats respond to nurture, love and affection, so pre owned or kitten unlikely to make a difference. The Earle family has had three. The first was dumped by his mother due to an abscess, then had cat flu. Survived 7 years and was wonderful company, but a bit nutty! Second was a stray found at Hassocks Station then taken to the cat (and fox) loving Hassocks Petshop who sorted him out and we took him home aged about three months. He was a beautiful loving male tabby who was with us for 14 years. Our third cat has been with us for 17 years and has been the most wonderful companion. We got him from the same petshop in Hassocks where he had been sold at about two months old by his owner and needed a new home. He chose us and always has done.
2) Earle Jr got his cat from Patcham RSPCA as a pre-owned. Has responded really well to a loving environment. Check out Paws and Claws website for Mid Sussex - must admit I prefer a cat about 3 months old, but you normally fall for one whatever it's age wherever you buy it. By the way, I prefer a neutered male. No trouble and no straying after the laydees.
3) I spend £7 or £8 a week on food and having installed a cat flap, no need for cat litter etc after the first couple of weeks. Otherwise a jab each year.
4) Pet insurance starts cheap and grows gently with age of cat. Mine is £34 pm and can't change ivo his age. On the other hand. we've claimed £900 for him since March this year on a thyroid the asthma problem, so you takes your choice. But you never want to be in a position of telling the kids you can't afford the vet bills. Don't forget the microchip.
By the way, suggest you go for a shorthaired moggy. Otherwise you'll have aggravation for years if one of the family has a cat fur allergy. Mrs Earle did, but luckily a short course of homeopathic tablets cured her.
Don't forget to post a pic of the lucky mogster and chose a sensible name. Someone I know has a cat named Boo and has to go out in the garden going Boo every night. We've been able to ask a neighbour to feed ours morning and night whenever we are away, and he pops round to her automatically now. Never paid a boarding fee.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Knucker was a black and white 'Sylvester' cat, massive, full of character, and a fighter.

The rescue home called him Fu-Fu :facepalm:

When we moved the new house had been empty and the garden was like the local cat Village Hall.
Knucker went out every night for over a week and fought every bloody cat off his territory, he loved it!!.

Knucker was the George Foreman of cats, he'd sit upright then wildly swing a clubbing right paw as cats got in range.

Freakin psycho.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
my only advice buy a litter tray first and when you bring the cat home put him in it before his feet touch the floor anywhere else in your home. This way the sod will have to make his own way around the house and will be able to go back there when he needs to. Alternatively take him home and make a fuss of him on your sofa, but he will piss and shit all over that if that's what he sees first

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I'd definitely echo the sentiments about getting a rescue cat.

Likewise get it mircochiped and get a cat flap that works by recognising your cat's microchip - stops all the neighbourhoods cats coming in!!

I'd recommend insurance - it isn't cheap but neither are vet's bill. Mine had a heart problem 3 months ago, the costs are now close to £3k and still rising as he'll be on medication for the rest of his life. (The initial hospital bill actually itemizes the cost of doing things like the ECG and then the cost of interpreting the results!!)

Think about how the cat will be looked after when you are away - mine is a rescue cat and spends a lot of his time outdoors so would have hated a cattery. I'm fortunate as I can rely on very good friends to come in a feed him when I'm away but it does mean even a night away has to be pre-planned!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
By the way, our cats have always spent the night in the kitchen, so their own bed is a great investment to keep them off the work surfaces at least some of the time. They will sleep anywhere, but appreciate a place of their own.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
if you have the time have a look at www.lostcatsbrighton.org.uk
Ron has plenty of cats all ages
and may I say you might be better taking on two for company and if they are already a pair all the better
insurances ........some are a bit flaky, we always found it better to put a little away each month in a separate account just for cat emergencies.
Ron sends them out pre- microchipped and jabbed and it is a well used charity
give it a go

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here