Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NEW in depth interview with Paul Barber with a number of interesting NEW details

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Having been in touch with Paul Barber last night and this morning, I have put together this piece outlining his major arguments on supporter concerns - including:

- His thoughts (raised by him, not put to him by me in a question) about the potential of a one-off fan boycott of food, mechandise etc. So please don't think I have slipped that question in to further the idea I was suggesting a campaign along those lines. I guess it shows he reads/is aware of NSC though.

- A new way of pricing food whereby the club will trial making drink etc cheaper the longer before kick off you arrive.

- An in-depth explanation about the bus changes.

- An offer to arrange a meeting at Dick's Bar to listen to any concerns fans have over the affordability aspect of football.

- The fact he hopes footballers wages will fall into line in time because of FFP.

- How the club has been hurt by criticism from supporters.

Anyhow, here you go.

CLICK HERE

Hope it might be interesting to a few people.

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Have got to give Barber credit for how approachable and open he has been lately. He should stop reading NSC and taking it seriously, though: around a quarter of the opinions here aren't worth reading anyway.
Kudos again for the recent pieces, Richie.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Good stuff that, thanks again Richie. I don't blame Barber for starting to show his frustration at some of the ignorant and idiotic statements on here and elsewhere. There really is no pleasing some people. However, I'm certain the less vocal majority understand and appreciate what the club is doing, and that the difficult decisions have to be made if we're to survive and prosper.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Have got to give Barber credit for how approachable and open he has been lately. He should stop reading NSC and taking it seriously, though: around a quarter of the opinions here aren't worth reading anyway.
Kudos again for the recent pieces, Richie.

In fairness, in this instance, he said he was pointed in the direction of that discussion by a fellow supporter who emailed him.

Whatever people think of Paul Barber - and I'll say it again: hate the game, not the player - he IS very approachable and does take time to respond or discuss in detail any concerns etc. That HAS to be a positive thing.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Did he really say 'and we won’t be offering discounts during the crazy half time period when queues are at their peak and demand is at its highest often meaning people can’t actually buy anything!'

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
Good stuff that, thanks again Richie. I don't blame Barber for starting to show his frustration at some of the ignorant and idiotic statements on here and elsewhere. There really is no pleasing some people. However, I'm certain the less vocal majority understand and appreciate what the club is doing, and that the difficult decisions have to be made if we're to survive and prosper.

Well said sir

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I think the club and Paul Barber are working really hard to try and come up with revenue streams and cut expenditure to come within FFP requirements. Its not easy to do and whilst the Amex may be state of the art and new that doesn't necessarily mean that its cheaper to run and maintain and therefore there may be areas such as security and stewarding that have gone up rather than come down.

I know they look at existing set ups elsewhere and whilst some things are good I don't like some of the American "matchday experiences" and ways to get new "customers" that have entered UK football. You can't advertise for new loyal supporters they are born & bred and support runs through veins rather than mouths & stomachs.

Some of the things we do are borrowed from other clubs in the belief that because they do them they are right - but they aren't and what worked in a first season won't work longterm and most long serving supporters follow routines and rituals that cannot be explained let alone turned into a moneymaking copy.

The emirates is a perfect example of a great day out for a corporate do but is a library and rip off for many Gooners

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Good read, first time you see some frustration at comments being aimed at the club. It is a difficult job and one which is never going to make him popular but I am pleased he is here to ensure we survive and grow.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Lovely to see that PB has so much passion in his statement, I genuinely think he and the other board members care for our beloved club.
I for one am behind the club 100%
I definitely believe that 3rd party companies are prone to make announcements in the manner and at a time that suits them and has a negative impact on the club's plans to announce in a controlled and factual way.

I am thankful for what we have, I am very proud to be a fan of such a great club. I couldn't wish for any more.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
So my post in the original thread was nearly spot on ? "Why all the panic ? The club maybe renegotiating the tender on the 4 special routes with alternative bus operators to reduce costs and B&H Buses have let it slip they are not running those routes. Seems as if there was an embargo until a coordinated announcement was released and one party has jumped the gun."

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Fantastic interview.

Problem is with this club, and not doubt many others, there are a small vocal element of supporters that will want to protest every last little issue. They want to see the best players on the pitch and premiership football, the want a say in every last detail on how rthe club is run, but at the same time they want to pay 2nd division prices.

The harsh fact is, our football club like every other one IS a business. It has to act like one, if it wants to progress.

The changes in the bus services whilst harsh, it seems is unavoidable. Whether or not the club should have informed supporters of the change before renewing season tickets (even though when you consider the dates this was impossible) the bottom line is, if you don't like it and wouldn't have brought a season ticket had you known, the club will refund you if you contact them. I don't see what more they could be doing.

If people want to protest and not buy pies or merchandise for a one off game, let them IMO. I bet most of the people taking part will be those who don't buy merchandise or pies anyway, so I doubt the club will see much difference in taking. Most level headed Albion fans can see the bigger picture, and will just smile at the protesters, pat them on the head and carry on as normal.

Bottom line is, do you want Premiership football and the club to progress?

Yes - Unfortunately with the new rules, WE the fans have to pay for it, not Tony Bloom. The club is doing all it can to fund the club with non football activities, but there will always be a short fall that the fans have to pay for.

No - Then cancel your season ticket, stop going for a few seasons, income will fall, the club will follow, and we can all sit back in the bottom division in a quarter full stadium, whining on how JCL have deserted us and how we are the true fans that will always be there.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Great statement. He showed that he has a passion to make it work long term. He doesn't deserve the stick that comes his way.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Perfectly put.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Agreed. Fair play to him for engaging with supporters the way he does when it would be so easy for him just to communicate through a club lackey. Even Attila says he's approachable! And you can tell he's been a bit stung by some of the criticism. Can't help but admire the man and I've been one of those who has criticised some (but not all) of his decisions.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Well done WJ. I have emailed him three times in the last month and he does indeed respond (fairly quickly as well). He is approachable and I think comes across very well. Inevitably not all the clubs decisions are going to please supporters, but I believe they are being taken with the right intention and surely he personally cannot be criticised for that.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good read, first time you see some frustration at comments being aimed at the club. It is a difficult job and one which is never going to make him popular but I am pleased he is here to ensure we survive and grow.

There is a difference between criticism and constructive criticism that some NSCers fail to grasp. The "Special Bus Binfest" thread had 646 posts and over 20,000 viewings and up until now there have only been 4 requests for a refund on season tickets.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
"We’re also looking at ways we can extend food and drink concessions to areas outside"

I love you Mr Barber!

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Have to say that while I do not always like the decisions that he implements, it seems clear to me that he is trying to make us a better club. In what other business you use would the CEO be so open and willing to meet the people who use the business? Yes I know we like to see ourselves as fans and not customers, but we need to be realistic and see that the game is different. If we do not change then we will be left behind. The cost of running the stadium are the same if you are playing in the premiership or the conference. Do not fool yourself that paying league 1 football will mean that the prices and cost of merchandise will be any different.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here