Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watford sign 8 players

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Really don't like this multiple ownership thing.

Essentially Watford, Udinese, Granada are just different branches of FC Pozzo now. Sense of identity and individuality of the club is lost a bit with transferring players for free between the clubs, players which would command substantial fees from clubs not part of the alliance.

What is to stop corporations buying football clubs from different countries and just pooling all their assets into one? Would hate to see 'Red Bull Brighton' for example.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What is to stop corporations buying football clubs from different countries and just pooling all their assets into one?

@Walt Jabsco

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
as someone said in other thread, the embargo is only that the FL have to sanction the deals. iin effect its not actually a transfer embargo at all, more special measures.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Good luck to them, it's a different approach to getting decent players in at this level and they play good attractive to watch football and I personally can't get all wound up about it. Rules are there to be bent...

They also have a manager who I have plenty of admiration for.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Good luck to them, it's a different approach to getting decent players in at this level and they play good attractive to watch football and I personally can't get all wound up about it. Rules are there to be bent...

They also have a manager who I have plenty of admiration for.

And are significantly cheaper to watch

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This makes a complete mockery of the transfer embargo they are under till 31 August!!

They are NOT under and embargo, but any transfers they do make are being double checked by the FA because they were a big naughty with 1 a few years back, the FA has found nothing wrong so the transfers went through.

happygull

Dec 28, 2011
Really makes a mockery of FFP when you can effectively assemble a decent team for minimal investment ... kinda leaves a sour taste in the mouth

Dec 29, 2011
Will wait for the Watford fan on here to give their account of actions, he makes good sensible posts. We know most the people on here would be licking their lips if we were in Watford's situation.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Blatant flouting of the rules. Whats to stop say a team like PSG with the financial resources at their disposal buying into a team in the top flight of every major footballing nation and buying up the best players around the world and creating a vast footballing monopoly? Dangerous and a blatant flouting of the rules.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This is the second year they've exploited loopholes - don't blame them, and if we were in their situation I'd probably be delighted. We're not though and it pisses me off!!

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Lets just hope they **** it up like they did last year. I'd rather have somebody that gave a shit than a football mercenary.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the second year they've exploited loopholes - don't blame them, and if we were in their situation I'd probably be delighted. We're not though and it pisses me off!!

There is another side to this. Getting a strong team spirit may be hard when many of the squad don't feel they are really part of the club. The fans probably feel a bit like they are watching the Harlem Globetrotters rather than their own club. And it didn't (quite) work last season. Like us they choked. And if they do go up next season, then what? Unsustainable model. I'd rather be us.

Agree with other comments about the manager, though. Nice man.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So the Football League can still stop the signings - but they of course wont.

Credit to Watford for finding the loopholes, shows how much of a joke the league are.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here