Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How can we, as fans/customers, best voice our concerns over increasing costs to the club?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Some people may be happy as things are. This thread probably isn't for them.

But for the rest of us, how can we best vocalise our concerns to the club? If there is one set of supporters who should be able to do is well, it is surely us.

I would suggest each and every fan concerned about spiralling costs email the club sharing those concerns in depth.

I also think that, perhaps for the first league game, people do not buy anything at The Amex stadium. No pies or pints may be a tall order for some but, in reality, it would a one off. A gesture showing that, as customers, we could easily withdraw said custom.

I would also suggest that, if the was such a day of merchandise, food boycott etc that every single person taking part email the commercial manager during the week before to let them know of your intentions.

Regardless of the bus costs etc the club has now retrospectively changed the club's charter twice to fall in line with decisions over additional charges, lack of transport etc.

It has also sold upwards of 22,000 season tickets without advertising significant changes to the terms and conditions. This is a worrying precedent and there is no reason to believe it will not happen again the next time the club decides to increase a cost which contradicts it.

I am not a knee-jerk anti-Barber moaner. I understand the requirements of FFP and fully appreciate he financial input of Tony Bloom - that is something I will always be grateful for.

I also don't mind paying slightly over the odds if it means keeping this club of ours financially stable. I, like 4,500 others, did so willingly throughout the years at Withdean where season ticket prices were often higher than some Premier League clubs despite being for seats in the league's worst stadium and to watch a team often playing outside try country's top two divisions.

I don't believe a protest against Paul Barber is even fair or, perhaps more importantly, likely to achieve anything. He isn't the problem. The disgusting, bloated, goldfish bowled football industry is to blame.

FFP is designed to encourage clubs to live within their finances. It is not meant to see clubs simply charge fans more in order to meet the criteria.

The Albion ARE trying to reduce costs. They are by no means the worst offenders in football. Far from it. They are also trying in some ways to make things still affordable while increasing prices. The direct debit interest free season ticket option for example is superb.

But they are the only club which WE are customers of. They are the only club we can apply pressure to.

I would equally suggest boycotting the most expensive away match next season en masse and, again, telling the people in charge exactly why.

Football will eat itself if things carry on the way they are. All fans of all clubs need to stand together and say, enough is enough. To tell clubs they are no longer prepared to pay inflated prices to fund sky high player wages in the midst of a terrible economic climate in the real world.

Perhaps it is time Brighton fans once again lead the way.

Judging by comments elsewhere on here over the last few days there are fans now being priced out of watching the Albion. Loyal fans. Fans who wrote letters, went on marches, kept going when few others bothered. Nobody will ever convince me that that is not wrong.

Promotion to the Premier League would almost certainly price out even more.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
How can we, as fans/customers, best voice our concerns over increasing costs to

This is all very well, but come January when we're plodding along in 8th place people will be demanding a new striker for £5 million. I don't see how you can have it both ways.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This is all very well, but come January when we're plodding along in 8th place people will be demanding a new striker for £5 million. I don't see how you can have it both ways.

Far, far fairer to use finances as reasoning behind not signing a £5m striker than to justify rising costs and pricing loyal, long-term fans out of attending.

In the absence of any other outlet for fans' concerns, it might well prove to be the case that NSC turns out to be the only source of information that the Club have available to them.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Your blogs have been brilliantly informative recently, Walt. And I agree with your position on this one.

But do you think Barber and co will continue to be so open (to your and our advantage) when he sees you posting new threads expressing your disapproval on here? Just a thought.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Your blogs have been brilliantly informative recently, Walt. And I agree with your position on this one.

But do you think Barber and co will continue to be so open (to your and our advantage) when he sees you posting new threads expressing your disapproval on here? Just a thought.

Possibly not, but none of the information I am basing these comments on came as a result of dialogue with him which is not readily in the public domain already.

And, rest assured, I more than voiced my opinions on this particular subject with him during said dialogue to the point where I explained I may be forced to consider whether I could justify/afford to remain a season ticket holder.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Exactly. Assuming we want to be a top end Championship or Premiership club then we simply have to bite the bullet. If the club have got it wrong, which I don't think they have, then people will vote with their feet and they will be forced to act. Certainly boycotting catering outlets will starve the club of income and produce the opposite effect to that you want.

The only people you can really lobby is the football authorities, maybe to lobby for some sort of salary cap but then the FFP is effectively here make sure clubs live within their means and may eventually means that salaries naturally come down.

Alternatively, we can go back to being a League 1/2 team - it was fun but I don't think anyone wants that any more.

I have no problem with the way the club is being run at present.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Time to revive BISA?

I would certainly be interested in helping in any way I could.

A I have tried to make clear, I don't blame Barber for this. It is a football problem. But, this is our club and I am not sure there is a clear way for fans as a body to voice concerns.

I am not saying the club is evil or anything. I just think there need to be proper lines of communication for fans to voice concerns through. It might not be that things have reached that tipping point for the majority of fans. Those concerns may not be serious yet. But it is important we, as a support base, have a way of sharing those concerns IF and WHEN they become more significant.

I is probably better to alert the club to current concerns, however minor they may be because it could end up too late. Particularly with the club apparently happy to make significant changes to a service after selling tickets.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps it is, the Amex appears to be pricing out regular fans prior to the 3rd season there

I'm not really sure it is. Not having a go but apart from a few people here who are understandably a bit upset over their transport costs suddenly going up is there really any evidence for this? Genuine question.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The Fans Forum is coming up.......

I tend to agree with The Commander particularly when fans will inevitably start complaining about the lack of signings.

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with the price hikes, the trouble is the apparent lack of transparency in the method of implementation. Prior to purchase supporters need to be aware of the facts.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
How can we, as fans/customers, best voice our concerns over increasing costs ...

Now that most of the players are contactable through their twitter accounts perhaps they should be approached directly to suggest they share some of the pain of FFP.

They should at least know how people feel.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm not really sure it is. Not having a go but apart from a few people here who are understandably a bit upset over their transport costs suddenly going up is there really any evidence for this? Genuine question.

A ticket in the West Stand Upper is now more than £500 for Championship football. Current tickets on sale for Millwall at home are between £35 and £42.

I think it would be naive to assume those prices were not making it very difficult for some people to attend.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
The only way to have any impact is not to buy a season ticket, as has happened at other clubs. Tony Bloom knows he is onto a winner with our fans. As was mentioned to me by some Leicester fans last season this must be quite an affluent part of the country, the season ticket prices haven't affected our support, I don't know what the latest count is but it's quite phenomenal, no real protest from the fans so the club will just carry as you would expect trying to get the fans to impart as much cash from them as possible.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perhaps it is, the Amex appears to be pricing out regular fans prior to the 3rd season there
Perhaps a little hasty - 23,000 season ticket holders would suggest they are not being priced out.

But the suspicion is surely that if the football is gash, people will leave in droves.

I can't help thinking rather than reviving BISA, there really needs to be a national supporters assocation with teeth. The only people who will really remain unaffected by the squeeze on fans pockets are probably fans of the biggest 6 or 7 clubs, and that's because they've always felt it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A ticket in the West Stand Upper is now more than £500 for Championship football. Current tickets on sale for Millwall at home are between £35 and £42.

I think it would be naive to assume those prices were not making it very difficult for some people to attend.
But are they difficult for ALL people to attend?

If attendances drop to 18k, then somethings wrong.
But, all the time the AMEX hoovers around 30k, then is anything wrong?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I completely agree with your wider points regarding football, and completely disagree that this is a remotely sensible way of doing anything about it.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
South East England....massive catchment area....if we are in the premier league the club can charge near what they want........and that is the goal of the club - to get to the PL - and then TV money is more important than fan money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here