Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bert Trautmann

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
Just heard he has passed away. Sad news. If you're into your football and like your history, would recommend his biography. Still one of the best books I have ever read!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He was always one of my mother's heroes, although she had no particular interest in football, for playing on in a cup final with a broken neck - that in the days before any substitutes, let alone as many as we have now.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Keep up m'lord.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I posted a nice post for Bert, but it's disappeared with all this moving about. :flounce:I'm not writing it all again, RIP Bert.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Sad news.... I saw a t v doc about him not too long ago - a fascinating life story in that he overcame politics and prejudice to play at the top of English football. He was a former German POW and this was soon after WW2.

R I P Bert.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I'd love to see some of the modern "hard" players carry on playing with a broken neck. No, I really would: they would SOB like children.

As someone else put it on Twitter, his unique status of holding both the Iron Cross and an FA Cup Winner's Medal is likely to remain unchallenged. RIP Bernd.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Sad news about genuine legend of the game. To play a match in goal during the 'clatter' era and survive was an achievement, to do it with a broken neck...mental.

Gary Gurr

Nov 13, 2011
Eastbourne
He was always one of my mother's heroes, although she had no particular interest in football, for playing on in a cup final with a broken neck - that in the days before any substitutes, let alone as many as we have now.

Mine too! She also had no interest in football being a Charlton fan of the mid 40's onwards.

His Bio is a fascinating book, not so much for the football part but for the tales of growing up in Nazi Germany and how it pervaded every element of society. Amazing how he went from an apparently enthusiastic combatant for the Third Reich to acceptance in England and by the fans. There was a brief clip of him played on the BBC news and he had a wonderful German/Mancunian hybrid accent!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
For me, the greatest goal keeper I have ever seen play.

RIP Bert.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His career would have take a different turn if The Sun had existed back then . . . .

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
very brave man
Rest in Peace Bert

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here