Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Barber speaks out on bus price increase etc

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
With 30 pages and counting on the other thread I hope people won't mind me starting a stand alone thread for this so it does not get lost amid the ongoing discussion.

Some comments from Mr Barber on decisions behind bus price increase and other bits and bobs.

CLICK HERE.

Thought it may be of interest to some on here, although the overall line is as you would expect.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Usual corporate rubbish

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Said it before, say it again, the Odeon don't pay your fare to go and see a film at their venue. Why on earth should the Albion subsidise your matchday travel in any shape or form? Fair enough when the club was jumping through concentric circles of bullshit to get planning permission. but these days are gone forever. Pay your own damn transport costs!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
"FFP will not go away" - but the fans might !!!!!

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Said it before, say it again, the Odeon don't pay your fare to go and see a film at their venue. Why on earth should the Albion subsidise your matchday travel in any shape or form? Fair enough when the club was jumping through concentric circles of bullshit to get planning permission. but these days are gone forever. Pay your own damn transport costs!

While I agree to an extent, I don't agree in selling season tickets for this season without first making fans aware of any likely subsequent costs for what is, largely, going to be the same "getting you from A to B" type service - albeit it with a reserved seat and possibly a bit more padding.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Load of bollocks, just usual FFP this and FFP that. Rip off and mislead fans and blame FFP

As I said elsewhere, football at this level is getting to a stage when it will destroy itself unless it starts looking outside its bubble.

The economy is in a bad way, unemployment is high, few people are getting inflation matching salary increases, yet football is still paying inflated wages and passing on the costs to the fans.

If there is one thing which can't be sustained, that is it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

hmm...if we are using the odeon brighton as an example..i wonder what the deal is with ncp to get free parking for evenings? They do obviously subsidise because they havent got there own car park and want to attract my custom...no mention of a transport levy for my ticket either...so not sure you have chosen a good analogy there

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Because when people brought their season tickets for this coming season the club said they would ? Call me old fashioned but it's called keeping your word !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
While I agree to an extent, I don't agree in selling season tickets for this season without first making fans aware of any likely subsequent costs for what is, largely, going to be the same "getting you from A to B" type service - albeit it with a reserved seat and possibly a bit more padding.

For sure. It's bordering on mis-selling shirley?

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
Everything he said seems to make sense, great article. I think they have no choice but to cancel ST's without a charge due to the change if people demand it, that is only fair.
Many of the original Seagulls Travel routes are full and I can see the same happening on the new routes, I think most will pay the extra for the better service.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
As I said elsewhere, football at this level is getting to a stage when it will destroy itself unless it starts looking outside its bubble.

The economy is in a bad way, unemployment is high, few people are getting inflation matching salary increases, yet football is still paying inflated wages and passing on the costs to the fans.

Very much THIS!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, he defends player's high salaries but gets rid of non-playing staff because of their alleged high salaries. We're simply chasing our tails to pay players more and more. Great.

The good news is that Barber doesn't seem to hang around in any job for very long.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Agreed , there is not a bottomless pit of money anymore and 2 weeks before the season starts for supporters to suddenly find that they either pay another £75 or £4.75 a match for something they already thought they had paid for or struggle on service buses or trains is not on.

This hasn't just happened so why leave it so late ?

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
But do the odeon add a levy to your ticket for the journey there in the first place?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sorry I could not get a concrete answer for the people asking about refunds of season tickets etc. I tried. He did say he was unaware of anyone having approached the club to ask about this yet and that each case would be judged on an individual basis.

My guess would be that if for example you have mobility problems and relied on, say the S bus, but cannot afford the new service, you would probably get a full refund but that is TOTALLY my own theory so don't take it as having come from the club or Paul Barber in any way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here