Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists in the road when there is a cycle lane

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If there's one thing that annoys me (actually there are thousands of things that annoy me of which this is but one!), it is cyclists who insist in using the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path.

The cycle path is for cyclists (hence the name) so fricking use it when it's there and stop snarling up the traffic for us car drivers.

I usually give such morons a blast on my horn as I sail past and get a one or two finger salute in response. At least I'm getting my message across.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
More little things annoy us the older we get. :smile:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:yawn:

DONE

TO

DEATH.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Do you also get pissed off when there are people walking in front of you on the pavement when there is also a perfectly good bit of pavement the other side of the road?

Let me guess, you pay your "road tax" so have right of way ?

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I used to use cycle paths myself (where provided), but I'm not aware that cyclists have to use them. Maybe you should go & lobby your local MP if it concerns you that much? Let's face it: the impact of cyclists " snarling up the traffic" should never be underestimated...

:facepalm:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
If there's one thing that annoys me (actually there are thousands of things that annoy me of which this is but one!), it is cyclists who insist in using the road when there is a perfectly good cycle path.

The cycle path is for cyclists (hence the name) so fricking use it when it's there and stop snarling up the traffic for us car drivers.

I usually give such morons a blast on my horn as I sail past and get a one or two finger salute in response. At least I'm getting my message across.

God stop whining.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just think. If they are in the road in front of you it means you have to slow down. Slowing down reduces accidents.

So they are doing you a favour.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Do you also get pissed off when there are people walking in front of you on the pavement when there is also a perfectly good bit of pavement the other side of the road?

Let me guess, you pay your "road tax" so have right of way ?

I guess my reasoning is this:
- cars should use the roadway
- pedestrians should use the pavements if there is one
- cyclists should use the cycle path if there is one

If cyclists insist on using the roadway when there is a cycle path, then I guess it's equally OK for cars to drive on the cycle path?

Cyclists can't have it both ways, in my opinion. If they want/demand cycle paths, then frigging cycle on them.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle

If cyclists insist on using the roadway when there is a cycle path, then I guess it's equally OK for cars to drive on the cycle path?

Cyclists can't have it both ways, in my opinion. If they want/demand cycle paths, then frigging cycle on them.

I would love to use cycle paths but sadly a lot of them are in a bad state of disrepair and regularly get used by pedestrians, making the road the safer option.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Had a mate in L.A. calling me at a stupid hour about this yesterday, apparently it's ****ing brilliant, the first review aint too shabby either.

Termintor 3 review (bit geeky)

How did I end up in here? I was posting in the Goldstone cycle rant.

Edit: I'm still here, but it plucked a random post when quoting Goldstone. How peculiar.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
You're the type of moron who will end up in prison for not concentrating on the road and knocking someone off their bike... the roads are not just for cars. Perhaps you should spend your time whining about some thing with a little more relevance to our community than bitching up about people who have just as much right to use the road as yourself

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'll tell you what winds me up. When cyclists are cycling along two-abrest next to each other so they can have a little chit-chat with their spandex-clad power-ranger buddy, therefore forcing everyone behind them into oncoming traffic in order to get round their mobile bloody knitting circle. Here's an idea - stop flapping yer chops and use the oxygen you'd save to pedal a bit faster so you reach your destination sooner and can get the FRIG out of everyone elses way.

Harrumph.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Your views then please on cars parked in cycle lanes that are 'part of the road'?, thereby making them unusable anyway. Should those cars receive a parking ticket in your opinion? Note I'm not particularly fussed about cars doing this as I just ride around them anyway and take the lane as usual, but curious to know what you think.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Your views then please on cars parked in cycle lanes that are 'part of the road'?, thereby making them unusable anyway. Should those cars receive a parking ticket in your opinion? Note I'm not particularly fussed about cars doing this as I just ride around them anyway and take the lane as usual, but curious to know what you think.

If a car is parked somwhere where parking is not permitted (cycle lane or not) then a ticket is not unreasonable. If it's not against the law to park in cycle lanes, then a bit difficult to hand out parking tickets.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'll tell you what winds me up. When cyclists are cycling along two-abrest next to each other so they can have a little chit-chat with their spandex-clad power-ranger buddy, therefore forcing everyone behind them into oncoming traffic in order to get round their mobile bloody knitting circle. Here's an idea - stop flapping yer chops and use the oxygen you'd save to pedal a bit faster so you reach your destination sooner and can get the FRIG out of everyone elses way.

Harrumph.

There is nothing in the Highway code that says cyclists shouldn't ride 2 abreast. In fact in a lot of ways it's safer as rather than motorists trying to squeeze past, they have to overtake giving a clear amount of space. You'd have to do the same for a milk float, or a horse, or any other slow users on the highway.

How much time did this actually cost you in your precious day, did you miss 45 seconds of being able to post on NSC!!??

Also in a group it is also better to cycle 2 abreast. If 10 rides are strung out single file a driver has probably 30m or so to overtake, 2 abreast you are only overtaking 15m making it easier.

Cyclists need to ride defensively on the highway in my opinion as there are too many impatient idiots like goldstone on the road. Always make a car wait for an appropriate amount of space to overtake rather than giving them the opportunity to squeeze through.

122 cyclist killed on British roads last year, a 5 year high. Not good enough.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here