Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zimmerman-Stevie Wonder boycotts Florida-Florida tries to boycott Wonder

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...da-stand-your-ground-zimmerman_n_3603571.html

Stevie Wonder told a crowd on Sunday that he won't perform in Florida until the state repeals its controversial Stand Your Ground laws, effectively boycotting any state with similar legislation on its books.

"I decided today that until the 'Stand Your Ground' law is abolished in Florida, I will never perform there again," the singer said in Quebec City. "As a matter of fact, wherever I find that law exists, I will not perform in that state or in that part of the world. The truth is that -- for those of you who’ve lost in the battle for justice, wherever that fits in any part of the world -- we can’t bring them back. What we can do is we can let our voices be heard. And we can vote in our various countries throughout the world for change and equality for everybody. That’s what I know we can do."

Florida's Stand Your Ground laws, which demand that authorities have proof that refute a self-defense claim before arresting or trying someone claiming self-defense, have come under heavy criticism during and after the George Zimmerman trial. Zimmerman was accused of murdering Trayvon Martin, an unarmed, black 17-year-old who was walking home. Police did not arrest Zimmerman for almost two months after he shot Martin dead on account of the law, though he did not end up invoking the law in his defense. (More information on the case is available in the gallery below.)

Stateline reports that at least 22 states have similar Stand Your Ground laws, with varying degrees of latitude. Some states, for example, require that someone invoking the defense first attempt to flee before using force, while others restrict the defense to situations that arise in one's home or office. Florida's law has neither of these restrictions.

"You can't just talk about it," Wonder added at his concert on Sunday. "You gotta be about it."

and for balance Floridians call for a boycott of Mr Wonder and others

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/boycott-citizens-celebrities

To target the economy and livelihood of ALL citizens of Florida for the Treyvon Martin verdict is not only unfair, but ignorant. I suggest all members of our great state sign and boycott any celebrity, leader, political figure, or influential entity endorsing a boycott of Florida to create economic struggle. For example, do not buy music or purchase concert tickets to see Stevie Wonder. We are a state of ALL races, and ALL colors. To suggest we should all suffer from the backlash of the George Zimmerman trial is preposterous and unacceptable!!

oh well at least the bull**** continues.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I would think not being able to go and watch Stevie Wonder in concert is a GOOD thing.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Personally I think any civilised person should boycott Florida, it is an intrinsically backwards and racist state. You wouldn't go on holiday to Nazi germany would you?

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
I would think not being able to go and watch Stevie Wonder in concert is a GOOD thing.

Maybe true today but when I saw him at the Brighton Centre in the 80's he was a brilliant performer and probably one of the best ever concerts I've been to.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
On the Daily Show the other day they pointed out that a woman was sentenced to 20 years in prison in Florida for firing a warning shot in the air to scare off her abusive husband. But then she was black

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
On the Daily Show the other day they pointed out that a woman was sentenced to 20 years in prison in Florida for firing a warning shot in the air to scare off her abusive husband. But then she was black

It's a little bit more complicated than that.

She went out to her car, went back inside the house and then fired the gun.

She was also convicted of another assault on her partner which occurred on different dates, which she was also found guilty of.

And to point out the "she was black" as a rubbish reason.

In central Florida, a white man named Orville Lee Wollard is nearly two years into a 20-year sentence for firing his gun inside his house to scare his daughter's boyfriend. Prosecutors contended that Wollard was shooting at the young man and missed.

Which proves nicely that the Liberal ***** love to highlight black cases as being racist, even if there's white people who've received the same sentence.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's a little bit more complicated than that.

She went out to her car, went back inside the house and then fired the gun.

She was also convicted of another assault on her partner which occurred on different dates, which she was also found guilty of.

And to point out the "she was black" as a rubbish reason.

Which proves nicely that the Liberal ***** love to highlight black cases as being racist, even if there's white people who've received the same sentence.

I didnn't imagine it was the same but didn't Zimmerman call the police and then go off and find the kid again and shoot him?

Who are the 'Liberal *****"? If it's me the white case wasn't mentioned in the Daily Show who were highlighting the bizarreness of the law where firing a warning shot is worth 20 years in prison and killing someone isn't. They didn't mention colour, I did, jokingly.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can't blame him. if I was a black man I wouldn't want to be in Florida at night time with people like Zimmerman on the loose either.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Personally I think any civilised person should boycott Florida, it is an intrinsically backwards and racist state. You wouldn't go on holiday to Nazi germany would you?

I wonder what Nazi Germany's equivalent was to South Beach in Miami. I am writing this thinking about the Third Reich making A Girls Gone Wild DVD. What would the Third Reich bikini look like?

I should stop thinking and just go to work.

Gangsta

Jul 6, 2003
Withdean
Anyone wanting to boycott Stevie Wonder cannot have a soul. Ahhhh Florida, makes sense when you think about it.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As someone who has lived and worked in Florida, I must protest at the idea that 90 percent of the locals are backward, gun-crazed reactionaries. The figure is much nearer 85 percent.

The weather's nice, though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here