Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T headlight bulb stuck in fitting.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I turn to the NSC sages for a bit of help. I appreciate I will no doubt be asking an incredibly stupid question, however having no interest in cars I'm a bit stuck. My dipped headlight has gone and I thought it would be a simple enough job to change it. I've managed to remove the fitting and bulb, however the bulb seems to be stuck in said fitting which I originally had to disconnect from the electrics. No matter how much I try and pull the bulb out it I've had no luck. Am I doing something wrong? Given I only purchased the bulb from halfords I presume it should come away from the fitting...?

I shall now don my tin hat for the probably justified sarcy replies....

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What car?
Can you post a pic of the old and new bulbs up?
Where are you? (If you're close enough I will pop round and have a look :) )

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Take the bulb back to Halfords and get a refund - buy another and pay the £2 for them to fit it.

I had a real problem removing a wiper and did just that - they spent over an hour fitting the new blades!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
What car?
Can you post a pic of the old and new bulbs up?
Where are you? (If you're close enough I will pop round and have a look :) )

It's a fiat punto. New bulb is exactly the same as the one at the top of the fitting as far as I can tell.
That's a very kind offer but I couldn't take you up even if you were close enough - especially at 10 on a Wednesday night. As someone else said if its an issue I shall just pay halfords!
Hopefully here is a pic of the old bulb still in the fitting....
image.jpg

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Don't know if its the case here, but there's normally some kind of wire spring thing holding it in place. Either that or it needs a twist

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
It's a fiat punto. New bulb is exactly the same as the one at the top of the fitting as far as I can tell.
That's a very kind offer but I couldn't take you up even if you were close enough - especially at 10 on a Wednesday night. As someone else said if its an issue I shall just pay halfords!
Hopefully here is a pic of the old bulb still in the fitting....
View attachment 44875

That whole thing is the bulb, you replace it as one piece. If you have just bought the little glass bit at the top - that will be a bulb for something like the number plate or glove box etc. I would take the old one to the shop and ask for a new one like it.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
That whole thing is the bulb, you replace it as one piece. If you have just bought the little glass bit at the top - that will be a bulb for something like the number plate or glove box etc. I would take the old one to the shop and ask for a new one like it.

Ah... It certainly won't come out then! Cheers fella. I shall get back up to Halfords tomorrow then. Suitably indicates how little I know about cars...

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Well if it is designed to come out of the fitting, I'd spray the bottom part of the bulb with contact cleaner; let it do it's stuff for 5 minutes; then give the bulb a side-to-side tug/pull with a pair of pliers.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Well if it is designed to come out of the fitting, I'd spray the bottom part of the bulb with contact cleaner; let it do it's stuff for 5 minutes; then give the bulb a side-to-side tug/pull with a pair of pliers.

It shouldn't be. If its a dipped headlight bulb that entire unit should come out of the fitting in one go.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It shouldn't be. If its a dipped headlight bulb that entire unit should come out of the fitting in one go.

Well it that's the case: then my suggestion is completely stupid (although if the OP was to follow my 'advice', it would possibly have at least some comedy value). :thumbsup:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Ah... It certainly won't come out then! Cheers fella. I shall get back up to Halfords tomorrow then. Suitably indicates how little I know about cars...

As has been said, the bulb is the complete unit in the photo.

If you get Halfords to fit it for you, make sure they do it properly. They once fitted a headlight bulb on my car UPSIDE DOWN (the bulb was upside down, not them)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
have you tried turning it off and on again ???

(what is the car equivilent?)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
As has been said, the bulb is the complete unit in the photo.

If you get Halfords to fit it for you, make sure they do it properly. They once fitted a headlight bulb on my car UPSIDE DOWN (the bulb was upside down, not them)

If its the full bulb I've got no real need for them to do it. Should just be a case of buying a new one and putting it in myself. That said, watch out for part two of this thread to tomorrow!

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Don't get your fingers all over the glass portion of the lamp, as the natural greases will make the glass go a funny colour, and lose a LOT of it's brightness :thumbsup:

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
Probably got too hot and fused into the holder. I have similar problem with my Peugeot identified by my garage. If so hope it is something Halfords can deal with and will look for further response.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Can you just not drive around on full beam? From a distance people will think you're in a big German car and you'll make lots of friends.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here