Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rolling Stone magazine wtf?!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
How very odd.

Isn't Rolling Stone supposed to be a music magazine, anyway? Why are they even publishing an in depth piece on an alledged islamist terrorist anyway? Are they tying to pretend that they are TIME or something? Weird.

As an aside, the guy has pleaded NOT guilty to all charges. In the incredibly unlikley event that he is somehow found not guilty at trial, that front cover would have RS in a world of legal trouble.

They often comment on social & political issues, very prominently in the 1970's. One of the first to speak out against the Vietnam war in the late 1960 early 70's...

"How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical islam and became a monster"

I'm guessing, without jumping to conclusions, that its a piece about how 'normal' people can become extremists. Clearly not about being/making him a rockstar!

No WTF at all. I'm guessing most don't read Rolling Stone.

http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/bitstream/handle/1961/9882/Cohen,%20Madeline%20-%20Spring%20%2711.pdf;jsessionid=554D629AFA2F151F5F40C027C1787EC6?sequence=1

An interesting Masters essay on Rolling Stone and Politics.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Has anyone read it yet?

No.

I'm not making any assumptions at all about the content of it - it may well be a tremenduous insightful piece of writing.

The front cover will offend people, regardless. Picturing a guy suspected of the worst terrorist attack in the States in years, 'as a rock star' (not my words) on the front cover of a magazine dedicated to music and popular culture, is at best incongrous.

But you are right, they do not limit themselves to music alone. A quick google image search for 'Rolling Stone covers 2013' brings up Rihanna, Billy Joe (from Green Day?), Bruno Mars, David Bowie, two of US TV stars, Johnny Depp, and one of Silvio Berlusconi.

A quick google image search for 'Rolling Stone covers 2013' brings up Rihanna, Billy Joe (from Green Day?), Bruno Mars, David Bowie, two of US TV stars, Johnny Depp, and one of Silvio Berlusconi.

I can see that the cover may cause offence, but it was a photo he took some time back is at odds with what the public think a radical muslim terrorist looks like.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I can see that the cover may cause offence, but it was a photo he took some time back is at odds with what the public think a radical muslim terrorist looks like.

I fully understand the reasons why A publication might use the image, to challenge that stereotype. Just a bit surprised that THIS magazine has chosen to do so, on its front cover.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They often comment on social & political issues, very prominently in the 1970's. One of the first to speak out against the Vietnam war in the late 1960 early 70's...

"How a popular, promising student was failed by his family, fell into radical islam and became a monster"

I'm guessing, without jumping to conclusions, that its a piece about how 'normal' people can become extremists. Clearly not about being/making him a rockstar!

No WTF at all. I'm guessing most don't read Rolling Stone.

http://aladinrc.wrlc.org/bitstream/handle/1961/9882/Cohen,%20Madeline%20-%20Spring%20%2711.pdf;jsessionid=554D629AFA2F151F5F40C027C1787EC6?sequence=1

An interesting Masters essay on Rolling Stone and Politics.

This.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If they don't respond well, it could be the end of the mag.

But surely their readership will not have an issue with this article/cover? Why do you think it will be the end?

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC

As an aside, the guy has pleaded NOT guilty to all charges. In the incredibly unlikley event that he is somehow found not guilty at trial, that front cover would have RS in a world of legal trouble.

From what I recall his defense is not that he didn't do it, but that it was an act of war not terrorism

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here