Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Driving in the heat: windows open or air-con on?

Driving in the heat: windows open or air-con on?

• Windows open / air-con off

Votes: 41 43.6%
  • Air-con on / windows closed

Votes: 45 47.9%
  • Windows open / air-con on (you freak)

Votes: 8 8.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For years my default driving ventilation option has been windows closed/air-con on. It's just what I've done.

The little lad has recently asked for his window open and as the whole world knows that air-con is all but useless if a window is even only partially open, the air-con has been turned off and the all the car windows fully open.

And, by jimminy, what a delight it is - I'd completely forgotten. Even after he's been dropped off at nursery the air-con has remained off and the windows open.

What do you do?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Driving through France recently, and in the last few days here in the UK... roof down, air-con full blast on the feet!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Car air conditioning usually makes me sick, especially in hot weather, so windows open. If the windows are open it's a waste to have the air con on, so turn it off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've very recently done the reverse and have converted to air/con.

Partly due to mine and Lil Miss Stat's hayfever, and partly due to clear the oppressive heat from inside the car quicker.

T'is a shame the petrol gauge is less happy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
aircon is best where you are static or the surrounding air is dirty, otherwise window down for fresh air is prefered.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Both have an impact on MPG although I've never been sure which is worse. I tend to go for the window down one tanned arm approach.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
anyone got the stats for MPG

I generally only use the air con on the autoroute?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Driving with windows down and no a/c or air-con on and windows up, must cost about the same in energy used. Last week I drove back from Sheffield Uni. with Jnr. Skipper with air-con all the way, lovely. As we cruised down the outside lane overtaking people in imitation convertibles with all their windows open, their comb-overs waving over the faces, I thought, this is the life. ( I should point out that this is the first car with air-con I've possessed!) :O

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
anyone got the stats for MPG

I generally only use the air con on the autoroute?

Here is a study I found via Google:

Windows up, AC off: 35 MPG
Windows up, AC on: 34.4 MPG
Windows down (all four), AC off: 33.8 MPG

Obviously it will all depend on the car and the journey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here