Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

ITV Daybreak do you deliberately wind up the working people in this country?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
7.20 live in Maidstone, another Wayne and Waynetta story, living in a one bedroomed flat, 5 kids (nice plasma screen TV though), neither parent has worked since 2005, £27,000 a year benefit, now demanding a four bedroomed house from the Council.

Don't you just love it as your preparing for another full days work?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's all the fashion. Have a kid and get given a flat. Have a second and you get a house. She even said contraception doesn't work for her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
7.20 live in Maidstone, another Wayne and Waynetta story, living in a one bedroomed flat, 5 kids (nice plasma screen TV though), neither parent has worked since 2005, £27,000 a year benefit, now demanding a four bedroomed house from the Council.

Don't you just love it as your preparing for another full days work?

You have answered your own question.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
No idea - I've never seen the show.

However I've noticed it seems to be popular to assess the lowly paid/benefits-supported families by looking at their TV. Has it been possible to buy anything other than a flat-screen TV, of reasonable size, for at least 5 years now? Are we really saying that those who receive benefits support should not be able to enjoy television?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seems that the feature has wound up Small Businessmen as well as workers.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful

However I've noticed it seems to be popular to assess the lowly paid/benefits-supported families by looking at their TV. Has it been possible to buy anything other than a flat-screen TV, of reasonable size, for at least 5 years now? Are we really saying that those who receive benefits support should not be able to enjoy television?

If you havn't worked for seven years the answer is yes.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Indeed considering you can pickup a 40"+ TV for around £300 (I can find a Samsung for that much on Richer Sounds website, there are plenty of budget makes out there too) it's really not that much money is it. When these stories used to air no-one was going on about them having an 28" CRT sat in the corner of the room. Flat screens have been around long enough for them to be affordable to all now. It's not like they are claiming benefits and then sitting back watching a 90" 4k TV while lighting their farts with a burning £20 note.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
benifits only account for something like less than 10% of the countrys budget, what annoys me more is when we send millions of aid to a country i have never heard of.

I think it's actually nearer the 2% mark. Tax evasion is something that's much higher up the scale. The bulk of benefit is housing as well. We'd be much better tackling the lack of housing issue which would force down the price and consequently the amount spent on benefit. But it is easier to do what Daybreak do and give primetime to a real-life couple and portray it as rife.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's actually nearer the 2% mark. Tax evasion is something that's much higher up the scale. The bulk of benefit is housing as well. We'd be much better tackling the lack of housing issue which would force down the price and consequently the amount spent on benefit. But it is easier to do what Daybreak do and give primetime to a real-life couple and portray it as rife.
Very much this.

And I believe this charming family were featured in The Metro this morning.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

I saw a similar story a few weeks back and the family had a big TV, an Xbox 360 AND a Wii.

I judged them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Pooh pants, I was going to write that.

Randsta

Aug 8, 2011
Eastbourne

You can tell the class of the people by comparing the TV size against the size of their book shelf ;)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yes, that's exactly what we're saying. Nor should they eat sweets, drink alcohol or smoke; in fact all their money should be spent on uplifting literature, clothing and fresh food - which being unemployed they'll have time to cook properly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here