Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dirty looking Brownish/Orangey haze on the horizon?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
No doubt fixtures for this time of year, so apologies, but.....

...What is that horrible looking haze out at sea that always seems to form when the weather is steaming hot for days on end? Looks like a form of pollution to me but I'm sure the weather is a factor as I've seen it in previous Summers too.

Anyone know please?

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Smaller version.JPG

Only haze forming on Horsham at the moment, lovely :cool:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I saw it today off Hastings, never seen it before.

That's exactly where I'm viewing it from as we overlook the Old Town. I've seen it in previous years too. Judging by the responses on here so far though I expect the usual Hastings slating to commence forthwith :rolleyes:

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
That's exactly where I'm viewing it from as we overlook the Old Town. I've seen it in previous years too. Judging by the responses on here so far though I expect the usual Hastings slating to commence forthwith :rolleyes:
Rude not to. Are you sure you weren't in a boat looking AT Hastings? It was probably the board of the conquest hospital burning the bodies before Jeremy Hunts lot find out what's been going on up there at the big house on the hill.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings

No doubt. Not sure what it was but looked like a brown smog out on the horizon. Looked very strange with a slight sea fret nearer the shore as well.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Brown stains on the sunset remind me of Middlesboro away.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Allow me to field this one as an air quality consultant. Ships, much like cars, have to comply with regulations which dictate precisely which fuels they can use. They are only allowed to use low sulphur fuels. However, when boats reach international waters, I.e. 12 miles out, they can burn whatever the hell they like. What you can see is the sulphur and other toxic fumes belching out of these ships.

Last edited:

s5.bha

Aug 3, 2003
I wondered about this as I was fishing at Norman's bay early.............strange colour !

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Bloody hell then, that is some stat :eek:

15 of the world's biggest ships may now emit as much pollution as all the world's 760m cars

Thanks for the info. Certainly looks like pollution, but any idea how the weather has a bearing?, as it seems to only appear after a prolonged spell of hot weather.

johnhammond

Neither John, nor Hammond
Jan 17, 2008
Utrecht
any idea how the weather has a bearing?, as it seems to only appear after a prolonged spell of hot weather.

Hot weather normally means no rain and light winds. Pollution would soak into the rain/moisture and get taken out of the atmosphere as it falls, or the winds would blow it away/mix it in with cleaner air - either case would lower the pollutant concentration in the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here