Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shenanigans at the Leicester game last season

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I was listening to the excellent Phil Williams on 5 Live last night and they had a feature on when the first British footballer may 'come out'. As part of the feature our very own Liz Costa was on voicing our fans collective disgust at the sickening homophobic abuse directed at us every week.

She highlighted the Leicester game at the Amex last season as how supporters can have banter without it becoming homophobic, she said the Leicester fans had been warned of their behaviour before the game and as a result they indulged in other banter towards our fans, she said it was comedy gold and literally had the rest of the stadium in stitches.

So what banter/songs were the Leicester fans singing to us that was so funny it had the rest of the stadium in hysterics??

???

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think it may be a bit of an exaggeration to say the whole stadium was in hysterics.

I would also say that it was to say that the 'abuse' is sickening

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I cant remember Leicester doing anything to be fair, Bolton were fairly "bad".

I generally couldnt give a toss though....Was she screaming for a policeman again when she heard what Leicester were doing ? ???

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Wasn't it some old lady running screaming to the police ?

Leeds away when Diouf did his willy waggle.

People are missing the point here. Leicester fans didn't give any abuse but did give banter which was funny at the time. I did hear about it, but where I sit in the north stand, can't hear the away fans clearly.
It shows that away fans, when warned, can be humourous and not abusive. It was their own club that warned them before they travelled, not Brighton.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think there are some people who just don't seem to get Crodo's sense of humour - his adjectives are deliberately exaggerated and sometimes nonsensical. His use of the word "sickening" is quality. And clearly, Leicester's away support did not have the rest of the stadium "in stitches". I think we might have remembered that.

Crodo, did you ever spunk £15 on a tour of their "magnificent" stadium a year ago?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes you're right! Although she claims she does!

She has never claimed to represent the club. She represents the Supporters' club.

Simster, Liz did say that the Leicester fans had her in stitches. She was complimenting them on their humour instead of abuse.
She can't do right for doing wrong in some fans eyes.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Give her a break. Yes, she might be a little old fashioned in her approach, but it'd be a dull world if everyone was the same. She has never claimed to represent Albion fans as a whole, she just happens to be the easy option for media types to approach for a quick opinion as she's part of the Supporters Club. It that any different than them going to, say, Mendoza, for his views? Is he any more representative?

This is a woman who's spent years of her life devoted to the Albion, who goes to pretty much every game, home and away. You might not agree with her opinion on every subject, and nor may you want to join the Fun Bus to games, but that doesn't mean she deserves to be ripped to shreds. All football clubs have and need supporters like Liz Costa.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
She has never claimed to represent the club. She represents the Supporters' club.

Simster, Liz did say that the Leicester fans had her in stitches. She was complimenting them on their humour instead of abuse.
She can't do right for doing wrong in some fans eyes.

Ain't THAT the truth. Fair play to her for continuing to do her own thing & be damned then.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
What was this banter from Leicester? I don't remember at all - heck, I barely remember the game itself

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Give her a break. Yes, she might be a little old fashioned in her approach, but it'd be a dull world if everyone was the same. She has never claimed to represent Albion fans as a whole, she just happens to be the easy option for media types to approach for a quick opinion as she's part of the Supporters Club. It that any different than them going to, say, Mendoza, for his views? Is he any more representative?

This is a woman who's spent years of her life devoted to the Albion, who goes to pretty much every game, home and away. You might not agree with her opinion on every subject, and nor may you want to join the Fun Bus to games, but that doesn't mean she deserves to be ripped to shreds. All football clubs have and need supporters like Liz Costa.

Absolutely right. We all enjoy a good laugh about the "screaming for a policeman" line, but she's a lovely woman, Albion through and through and has done a lot for this club in the past, as have a lot of people. We should never forget our past, and though we shouldn't harp on about it either, there does need to be more respect for people like Liz Costa.

Team Costa.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

Agree with this. As for the Leicester game I was too busy trying to spot their notorious female fan to notice what they were chanting!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Liz Costa in 'Make things up to suit my personal agenda' shocker!

Stupid, daft bint.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I genuinely don't remember the Leicester game. I know I was there, because I got talking to some of their fans on the bus home, and one of their players got on the bus as he'd missed the team coach, but if that was the highlight of the day, then it goes to show what a poor game it was!!!

I think, if I'm honest, anybody who gives Costa a slagging is probably one of our "newer" fans.

Can I suggest to anyone who is a "newer" fan that they read Build A Bonfire, digest it and then come back on here and have the same opinion of her.

She certainly does not represent me or my views, she is not in any way the same type of supporter as I am but she has earned the right to have her say. If i was asked I'd just shrug my shoulders and say "don't care" she on the other hand does care.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here