Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mobile phone advice required for USA

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
My son is off to the States for a year to study at Indiana university.

I am unsure what to do re a
Mobile phone for him. He has a virgin mobile over here which is now out of contract. I am thinking about buying an unlocked phone and making him get a SIM card in the states. Any advice gratefully received.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Lucky git!

Can you not convert his current phone to pay as go so he doesn't lose the number while still receiving messages on it and then sign up for an american contract (with an international option to keep any costs phoning/txting home low) as you suggest.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
Lucky git!

Can you not convert his current phone to pay as go so he doesn't lose the number while still receiving messages on it and then sign up for an american contract (with an international option to keep any costs phoning/txting home low) as you suggest.

yeah i know. youth is wasted on the young! i have offered to carry his bags but i think he feels i might cramp his style!! cant see it myself!

thanks for the suggestion - will check it out.

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
I was at IU in Bloomington for a year in 2010. What all the international students did was just pick up a cheap cell phone for around 20 bucks at the local mall. College Mall Bloomington is your best bet. It's easier to just pay and go and you only need it for calling and texting domestically. Then just use skype/email on a computer for contacting home. Had the best year of my life out there if you or your son have any questions just ask.

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
I was at IU in Bloomington for a year in 2010. What all the international students did was just pick up a cheap cell phone for around 20 bucks at the local mall. College Mall Bloomington is your best bet. It's easier to just pay and go and you only need it for calling and texting domestically. Then just use skype/email on a computer for contacting home. Had the best year of my life out there if you or your son have any questions just ask.

yep Bloomington is where he is off to. and thanks for the advice. he is on an exchange year with Univeristy of Kent. i will PM you with any questions - thats kind of you - thanks.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There was a company (TalkTalk maybe) who included calls to US mobiles in their plan.
Found it. 500 Global Minute Boost costs £5 and includes US calls.

Last edited:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
There are several no-contract carriers that operate in the States – he could sign up with one of those. I use Metro PCS in New York and pay $40 a month for unlimited text/calls/web – not sure if they operate in Indiana. Virgin USA and T mobile also do no contract / prepaid phone deals. Walmart and Magic Jack also do good deals for international calls.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Why not get his phone unlocked by Virgin, then sort out one of the afore mentioned PAYG Sims when he gets there.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here