Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Falmer station rail links improvement

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It was supposed to have been started a few months back but everything takes forever with the railways.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Think I read that it'll double the number of trains per hour and allow 8 coach trains stopping at Moulescomb and London Road.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The platform was done months ago.

I thought that, but the article says 'due to be completed by December'. Can't really comment as I've only used the train once since the Amex opened.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
A question for those in the know. On the signalling side of things, are they sticking another section in between Falmer starter and T400(?) on the viaduct?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
This is great news. Longer platforms at Falmer, plus signalling upgrade means trains can be moved through much closer together.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there
A question for those in the know. On the signalling side of things, are they sticking another section in between Falmer starter and T400(?) on the viaduct?
I saw the plans at work the other day. It looks like they're putting 2 extra sections in between Falmer & Brighton (T700) to allow 3 minute head ways between trains. The platforms at Falmer are being extended to accomadate 8 coach trains. Didn't mention any other station alterations.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Thanks SL. T700!!!! I should have remembered, I got stopped on it enough times!!!

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I saw the plans at work the other day. It looks like they're putting 2 extra sections in between Falmer & Brighton (T700) to allow 3 minute head ways between trains. The platforms at Falmer are being extended to accomadate 8 coach trains. Didn't mention any other station alterations.

It's work that's long overdue, That line has always been pain in the rear for getting trains moved.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I assume we will still face the same problem at Lewes as that platform is too short for an 8 coach train, meaning there will be little benefit in a longer Falmer platform if you still can't get off at Lewes.

Also, does antyone know why the train is so slow when leaving Lewes bound for Brighton despite signs showing a speed limit of 50? - Is it signalling, bad track or an agreement with residents over noise that mean they travel so slowly?

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I am hoping some of the by-product process improvements will be sorting out the post match Brighton station queuing for west coast trains....its currently a mess and actually drove me and plenty of others to park in Coldean and Moulescoomb.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I am hoping some of the by-product process improvements will be sorting out the post match Brighton station queuing for west coast trains....its currently a mess and actually drove me and plenty of others to park in Coldean and Moulescoomb.

From what I've seen the current system is about the only way it can be done, How would you prefer it to be done?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Also, does antyone know why the train is so slow when leaving Lewes bound for Brighton despite signs showing a speed limit of 50? - Is it signalling, bad track or an agreement with residents over noise that mean they travel so slowly?

I often wondered this so I had a litle google and found its due to the close proximity of the bridge and other train. Quite an interesting report here as well, well I found it interesting anyway http://www.raib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/070108_R252006_Part_2_Lewes.pdf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here