Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting a job

Feb 12, 2013
I understand times are tough and there are a lot of unemployed people, but getting a job has really been getting me down. I'm 16, just finished school and am looking for a summer job. Every shop I go into either rejects my CV and tells me to apply online, which is literally impossible to find; or they don't get back to me even to tell me that I'm unsuccessful. Just makes me think I'm not good enough and has been getting me down, can anyone help me?

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010
Just keep trying and keep your chin up. a positive, personable approach goes a long way. Also, sign up with some agencies - there will always be some work to be done. Good luck.

Feb 12, 2013
Just keep trying and keep your chin up. a positive, personable approach goes a long way. Also, sign up with some agencies - there will always be some work to be done. Good luck.

Thank you, it just annoys me how shops ask for me to apply online; when I've gone there in person and they get to witness my personality first hand

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I understand times are tough and there are a lot of unemployed people, but getting a job has really been getting me down. I'm 16, just finished school and am looking for a summer job. Every shop I go into either rejects my CV and tells me to apply online, which is literally impossible to find; or they don't get back to me even to tell me that I'm unsuccessful. Just makes me think I'm not good enough and has been getting me down, can anyone help me?

Keep going fella never give up. Good luck.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

This, and don't take it too personally - unfortunately, you're not the only one suffering this, so don't assume it's your fault. Good luck!

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012

This pretty much sums it up.

Attitude and personality may not get you through paper sifts like a qualification would but they're invaluable in interviews.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you going into national/international chains on spec?

I can see your approach being welcome in Mrs Miggins pie shop, but not McDonalds who'll have a tight procedure for recruitment.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013

Hello mate, I remember the same thing happened to me when I went into JD Sport in the mall when I was your age, the manager there had spikey hair and thought he was the absolute business (because he got to wear a shirt and tie and got to pretend he was Richard Branson in front of the young girls who worked there) - basically told me to f*** off because he didn't need anyone, and it made me feel like sh*te - Don't let it get you down though, that's the kind of scrote you get working in retail

If you're about to go to college, I would try for shelf stacking work just to get a bit of work experience (and don't tell them it will only be for the summer, you don't have to disclose that if you're not asked) - just go to the 'corporate' websites and not the retail websites, as these generally are the pages which contain the situations vacant (or 'careers' pages).

Feb 12, 2013
Are you going into national/international chains on spec?

I can see your approach being welcome in Mrs Miggins pie shop, but not McDonalds who'll have a tight procedure for recruitment.

I've gone to both! The small shops take the CV and don't reply, whilst the larger chains tell you to apply online

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Agencies - seems to be the only way to get a job these days. Very convenient for the employer, when they don't need you anymore they don't even have to fire you. Just a quick phone call and that's your job gone. I've just been made redundant after 12 years and I'm shocked by how much things have changed since I last had to look for a job. They're asking you to apply online because that way you'll be routed through an agency and the employer won't have to deal with you directly.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Im not much older than you and just found work after 9 months unemployed, was rejected for over 50 jobs in that period. At first the rejection is frustrating but once it happens a fair bit - you get used to it and dont care, think of it as its their loss that they dont get you !!

Frequently check Indeed.com - found this to be the best job website as it lists all jobs from the big companies/job websites/agency-style websites.

1 set of work I'd advise you not to do is marketing/field sales. Its commission only (which isnt clearly stated) and they lure you in with false things, you only get paid if you sell something and you can be treated pretty badly - I certainly was !! Was with a Hove based company for the record which does door-to-door in Sussex.

Handing out CVs to shops isnt the best way of doing things, posting your CV online is much better - more employers can view it then.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I'm guessing that the ones who are telling you to apply online are large national companies? If so, they don't care about your personality, they hire based on the scores you get in the tests they give you in the 'interviews'.

I got a job at Sainsbury's when I was 16 by applying online, it took 10 minutes to fill in the online survey, you have to think of finding a job AS a job, so you have to put the time and effort in.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Times have changed. My daughters have both gone through the same as you. When I was your age(quite a number of years ago) you just looked in a window, picked a couple out, dressed smartly(no trainers or hoodies) and they then asked you when you could start.
Nowadays you have to prove you are eligible to work in this country, have signed documents witnessed by all and sundry to say theoretically you can do the job and then be totally rejected...sign up with agencies, loads of agencies. It may only be short term work but it will give you more experience and a few bob in your pocket

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
Good luck finding one. You just have to apply for every job you see. I started looking for a part time job just over a year ago and only got one 4 months ago. I was applying to several jobs everyday and most employers don't even bother with a reply. I only managed to get two interviews in that time.

The most annoying thing about it is the online application forms. Most of them seem to take at least half an hour.

And when you do mange to get an interview, act confident. Also, look up some information about the business before you go. It will impress them if you've done your own research about them.

Just keep trying and you will get something. And in the meantime enjoy not having to go to work, because you will get fed up with it once you've started.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
The irony to all this is that the place I am currently sub contracted to has vacancies for 2 x apprentices and can't find anyone suitable to fill them and when they think they have, the people just don't tun up on the start date.
Apparently it's like that all the time over here.

Biffer

Jul 13, 2003
Apprentices are a nightmare.
I've often tried to take them on but the links to the colleges are dreadful (but have improved recently) and the last time I got some applicants and invited the best 5 for an interview, none turned up.
Apparently they just need to apply for jobs to keep getting their benefits.

The irony to all this is that the place I am currently sub contracted to has vacancies for 2 x apprentices and can't find anyone suitable to fill them and when they think they have, the people just don't tun up on the start date.
Apparently it's like that all the time over here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here