Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Druggies

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Just been reading about Gay and Powell, the sprinters. Why on earth do they risk everything by even dreamimg of taking a performance enhancing jollop. They know they will be tested eventually. Athletics is big business now I know and lots of dosh to be made... but shirley it's impossible to get away with cheating

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There are so many legal stimulants that a drug test will not find. It's naive to believe that someone as good as Usain Bolt hasn't tried something from their nutrition coach to give them just a split second edge which is borderline. It's a massive gamble and if they're caught, as in the case of the two athletes, their career is as good as over.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My guess is that they take drugs because their is enormous pressure on them to succeed what with money, the press, sponsors etc etc and they see this as a way of ensuring the expected success.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
They get random tests dozens of times a year but take stuff to mask the banned drugs so mostly the tests won't show positive. Occasionally they, or their pharmacist, will mess up and they'll be caught, or the testers will devise a new test that gets round a masking drug. Doping is rife in sprinting; I can see why they feel the need to take the risk just to be on a level playing field in a sport that will provide riches to only the top 2 or 3 athletes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They get random tests dozens of times a year but take stuff to mask the banned drugs so mostly the tests won't show positive.

That's just not the case.

They are receiving more tests than before, but they are still few are fair between, esp when compared to cycling.
Then they may well only be subjected to urine tests, which are nowhere near as complete as blood work.

In all sports other than cycling rewards far outweigh the risks of PED's.

For example Louis Saha recently tweeted he had his first test, again probably only urine, in over a year.
In tennis Novak Djokovic claimed he had not been blood-tested for "six or seven months".

In cycling the Movistar team were randomly tested this morning, then the testers went back in the afternoon.

They probably had more test done on them today, then will be carried out in the Premier League all season.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Like others have said, I think this is more a case of pushing the limits with supplements. Still, you should know what is & isn't allowed before you put it in your body.
Casts a bad light on the sport & everyone will always wonder if (for instance) Bolt is on something; which is sad.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
There are so many legal stimulants that a drug test will not find. It's naive to believe that someone as good as Usain Bolt hasn't tried something from their nutrition coach to give them just a split second edge which is borderline. It's a massive gamble and if they're caught, as in the case of the two athletes, their career is as good as over.

Er, legal stimulants ? They'll be ok then.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Just been reading about Gay and Powell, the sprinters. Why on earth do they risk everything by even dreamimg of taking a performance enhancing jollop. They know they will be tested eventually. Athletics is big business now I know and lots of dosh to be made... but shirley it's impossible to get away with cheating

Perhaps they're only risking a nondescript top 20 place of world sprinters rather than being the best due to their drug taking.

So the comparative risk doesn't start at the point of world champions and its many treasures, they might not of got there without drug use.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
THIS IS NOT JUST A CASE OF A FEW WRONG SUPPLEMENTS

It's funny how nobody is prepared to join the dots when it involves THEIR sport.

The downside bi-product of being a cycling fan is I have an in depth knowledge of systemic doping programmes.
All of which has been detailed in both Lance Armstrong threads.

Cycling may have been at the forefront of blood doping (it may not) but it worked.
It worked for 10-15 years.
It produced results.
It produced wins.
It produced money.
It produced big money.

But only cycling was doing it??, a third rate sport when it comes to prize money and endorsements.

Of course not, athletics' dirty history is worse than cycling's, the difference is cycling reached the tipping point and has now acted.
Athletics still refuses to do the right thing, follow cycling's lead and clean up.
Why should it when the dopers are 'just taking supplements'.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
With all the sport science stuff in Football that has appeared in the last few years I can only see it as a matter of time before there are some Footballers are 'asked' to take some stuff that would fail a drugs test.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With all the sport science stuff in Football that has appeared in the last few years I can only see it as a matter of time before there are some Footballers are 'asked' to take some stuff that would fail a drugs test.

aaarrrrggggghhhhhhhhh!!!

Spanish footballers are linked into Operation Puerto.

Football is the biggest sport.
Football has the biggest rewards
Football doesn't have an adequate testing policy.
Football is rife with PED's.

IF YOU DON'T TEST, YOU WON'T FIND ANYTHING.

Have you ever wondered why it's always the same teams that play better in the last 15 minutes, while the other team is on it's knees.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
But drugs won't make you kick a football more accurately.
Stands back as Stat Brother explodes

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I'll explode when all this comes out and someone dinosaur on MoTD says it.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

For every doped athlete there are 10 clean ones that didn't get picked/qualify this time, and for every one of those there are hundreds of kids that didn't make the team. All of them work incredibly hard and dedicate their lives to their sport for the chance to compete at the highest level (be that Olympics, Tour de France, World Cup, Grand Slams, etc). If you can get 'the edge' over your competitors you get the chance to live that dream and the 15 hours a week outside of school/work aren't 'a waste'.

There are plenty of legal (within sport - not on the WADA banned list) stimulants and medicines that can help build muscle, reduce fat, aid recovery from training. These can give you the edge you need to train harder to race faster. If you're still not quite winning it's a pretty small step to taking things that are performance-enhancing and on the WADA list. In most sports at the moment you're unlikely to be tested in competition, let alone outside of competition so you probably won't be caught. If you time the doping well enough any trace will be clear before your event anyway.

Would you prefer to have the experience of running at the Olympics, standing there in a packed stadium with a medal around your neck whilst your national anthem plays, or watching someone else (who you've beaten in races) have that experience in your place?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I would imagine all sports stars are pumping themselves full of drugs.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I'd recommend them for watching the England team though. The more mind-bending the better.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder how many were carried out at Wimbledon, this year?

[tweet]357465775663104000[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here