Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who's in charge of transfers at the moment? Who's Who?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Given that Oscar is labouring under the 'head coach' title and given that he's new and I suppose still understandably unfamiliar with the work the scouting department have been doing under Gus, is it therefore normal to have a 'head of football operations' and not the 'head coach' be point of contact for media quotes as regards new signings?

Am I misguided to feel that a quote from Oscar rather than David Burke about Chicksen would have been more appropriate, or are we still mired up enough in the Gus wranglings that Oscar has to be kept under wraps so to speak?

This all might sound rather naive, but I am adrift when it comes to job titles... What was a Head of Football Operations in the old days? Head scout? What is he now? Intermediary between the board's money and the manager? Is the manager really the Head Coach? Is there a manager anymore?

:shootself

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Oscar won't be talking to the press until the Poyet situation is done and dusted

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oscar won't be playing with a team forced on him.
The Albion won't be signing players they can't afford or don't need.

Between the 2 you have your answer.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Having someone other than the manager in charge of transfers, shows that our playing style is the club's philosophy rather than the managers and is therefore a good thing - helps continuity. Gus was chosen because his vision fitted in with the clubs vision on playing styles and philosophy. The same for Oscar. Too often, you get a new manager and that is swiftly followed by getting 15 new players in that fit his style rather than the clubs.

Should also avoid our head coach banging on about budgets and ceilings etc!

The relationship between a First Team Manager, a Head Coach and a Head of Football Operations will always be an interesting one - we can only speculate. Although, of course, we shouldn't.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Thanks all, that's set my mind at ease. I like the 'club philosophy rather than the manager's'. I hope Walt's got it wrong though: the other way round would be better?

As long as we don't ever have a Joe Kinnear situation...

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think some people are looking at the responsibilities in a black and white way and as always it is really shades of grey. I would imagine D Burke is sponsored for the day to day transfer dealings - negotiations, speaking to agents, registering players, etc. Oscar will be involved but more a case of what do you think of this player, who would you recommended type of way, I cannot see it a simply as Burkes finds and buys a player then hands him over to Oscar this relationship would work for no one, its a team and a partnership and to me makes perfect sense.
I am more than happy with this and I suspect it is the way most professional clubs are run these days.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think some people are looking at the responsibilities in a black and white way and as always it is really shades of grey. I would imagine D Burke is sponsored for the day to day transfer dealings - negotiations, speaking to agents, registering players, etc. Oscar will be involved but more a case of what do you think of this player, who would you recommended type of way, I cannot see it a simply as Burkes finds and buys a player then hands him over to Oscar this relationship would work for no one, its a team and a partnership and to me makes perfect sense.
I am more than happy with this and I suspect it is the way most professional clubs are run these days.

The last head of football operations did exactly that with Bergkamp, to Gus.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I cannot see it a simply as Burkes finds and buys a player then hands him over to Oscar this relationship would work for no one, its a team and a partnership and to me makes perfect sense.

Michael Vaughan said he wasn't on the team selection committee, when England captain, but he never went into a match without the team he wanted.

I see a similar situation here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here