Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT Linux Mint.....

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
how the hell does one find out the CPU speed/type and physical memory in this strange operating system?

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
'cat /proc/cpuinfo' gives CPU info on most standard linux systems, and (wait for it) 'cat /proc/meminfo' does the same for memory. Unless you want to know details of the physical sticks, in which case try 'sudo lshw'.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
'cat /proc/cpuinfo' gives CPU info on most standard linux systems, and (wait for it) 'cat /proc/meminfo' does the same for memory. Unless you want to know details of the physical sticks, in which case try 'sudo lshw'.

thank you :)

D

Deleted member 22389

how the hell does one find out the CPU speed/type and physical memory in this strange operating system?

It may seem strange to start with but stick with it.
Using the terminal may seem outdated, but seriously for some tasks it beats the GUI hands down.

If you type top in the terminal it will give a list of running processes and will show you what your system load is.
You can kill processes by typing the letter k and then entering the process number.

If you need to kill a non responding application type xkill in the terminal. Hover over the non responsive application on your desktop and click the mouse. Don't do this on the actual desktop thou lol.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
It may seem strange to start with but stick with it.
Using the terminal may seem outdated, but seriously for some tasks it beats the GUI hands down.

If you type top in the terminal it will give a list of running processes and will show you what your system load is.

I agree. The terminal Is a very powerful thing.

D

Deleted member 22389

I agree. The terminal Is a very powerful thing.

You can learn so much from it as well. I think the terminal is great, best of all everything is free.
Even as you know to installing a LAMP server. When I started using Linux about 12 years ago support and help on the internet was awful. So many people use it now, if you have a problem you can get it sorted.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Without baffling me with tech talk (I know enough to be comfortable but in no way an expert), what are the benefits of using Linux over Window?

I hear 'stability' used as a reason a lot but Windows (for me at least) is hardly a constantly collapsing mess, so I've never really looked into it.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
You can learn so much from it as well. I think the terminal is great, best of all everything is free.
Even as you know to installing a LAMP server. When I started using Linux about 12 years ago support and help on the internet was awful. So many people use it now, if you have a problem you can get it sorted.

Thats true, and this year really has seen some major growth In the Linux world too.

D

Deleted member 22389

Great to have other linux users on NSC. I use Ubuntu, Unity. Hated it first but now love it.
Mint is also a great distro. Not up to the level of installing something like Debian yet mainly because Ubuntu has everything already there.

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym
Great to have other linux users on NSC. I use Ubuntu, Unity. Hated it first but now love it.
Mint is also a great distro. Not up to the level of installing something like Debian yet mainly because Ubuntu has everything already there.

I guess but don't mint files come as Deb. From my understanding Mint Is a Debian fork?

D

Deleted member 22389

Mint comes from Ubuntu. Ubuntu comes from Debian. So a package designed for Ubuntu should and will work in Mint.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Without baffling me with tech talk (I know enough to be comfortable but in no way an expert), what are the benefits of using Linux over Window?

I hear 'stability' used as a reason a lot but Windows (for me at least) is hardly a constantly collapsing mess, so I've never really looked into it.

In my opinion the most common reasons for people using Linux are nowadays cost and performance. It's free, which when compared to £100+ for a non-upgrade version of Windows 8 is a pretty good deal. Performance comes down to two areas: the fact that Linux will generally give you a much better experience on older hardware, and it doesn't tend to slow down in the way that Windows does after a few months.

The major downside for using Linux is still office applications. Reality is that the business world still uses Microsoft Office for everything and if you don't have it you will experience annoying problems when sending/receiving spreadsheets and documents.

D

Deleted member 22389

In my opinion the most common reasons for people using Linux are nowadays cost and performance. It's free, which when compared to £100+ for a non-upgrade version of Windows 8 is a pretty good deal. Performance comes down to two areas: the fact that Linux will generally give you a much better experience on older hardware, and it doesn't tend to slow down in the way that Windows does after a few months.

The major downside for using Linux is still office applications. Reality is that the business world still uses Microsoft Office for everything and if you don't have it you will experience annoying problems when sending/receiving spreadsheets and documents.

I agree on the office front specifically on things like exchange server. But If your on a budget and want to install your own free server, LAMP will always be first choice.

Have you see this as regards Office alternatives for Linux.
http://www.wps-community.org/download.html

http://www.appdunia.com/2013/05/kingsoft-wps-office-best-ms-office-alternative-for-linux/

Dec 31, 2012
In the Gym

Never had that problem myself. Always used OpenOffice or LibreOffice :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here