Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brewdog!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was up there last week as my daughter now lives in Manchester. We went to a Chinese buffet in 'chinatown' that was brilliant. Sorry, can't remember the name but if you go to that area there are loads of choices. Also make sure you go to the Manchester Art Gallery which is excellent and has a good collection of Pre-Raphaelite stuff (open late on Thursadays). Paid about £8 at the Tate for their Pre-Raphaelite exhibition and at Manchester it's all free!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Was up there last week as my daughter now lives in Manchester. We went to a Chinese buffet in 'chinatown' that was brilliant. Sorry, can't remember the name but if you go to that area there are loads of choices. Also make sure you go to the Manchester Art Gallery which is excellent and has a good collection of Pre-Raphaelite stuff (open late on Thursadays). Paid about £8 at the Tate for their Pre-Raphaelite exhibition and at Manchester it's all free!

Thanks anyway but I will give art galleries a miss..

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ask El Presidente

arkan

Jan 26, 2010
Sittingbourne
Get any of the plethora of buses to Rusholme, aka the curry mile. Best places in my opinion are Lal Haweli and Mughli. Bring your own booze though.
Also place called Caspians, its an afghani takeaway, go get a kodeba kebab, nothing like the greasy slivers of crap you get in normal kebab places. It is heaven.

Northern quarter up on Oldham street is where all the 'hip' shops are. Very good record shops there also.
The city 'centre' just has the same old shops you'll find anywhere else. Personally when i moved up there i found the centre to be actually quite small. I found the suburbs to be much more entertaining, though i doubt you will want to go to dingy nightclubs in Gorton.

Oh actually go to the Museum of Science and industry. Sounds boring, but its very good.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Manchester is amazing ! Enjoy it

HalifaxSeagull

Aug 24, 2010

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Luckily you are only there for a few weeks.

I'd stock up on tins of soup and other non-perishable food stuffs, fill the fridge with alcohol and board up the windows.

The ordeal will be over in no time.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Don't know if Italian food is your scene, but there is a pretty decent Italian restaurant quite close to Piccadilly Gardens just down the road from there en route towards the Arndale Centre. Can't recall its name, but I remember the grub was nice when I visited before.

harriri2000

Apr 7, 2011
Do you work of a particular high street bank by any chance??? 3 weeks in Manchester sound familiar ;-)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I went to an amazing Chinese restaurant about 6 years ago, don't recall it's name but I do remember it being opposite a lapdancing strip club which whilst outside having a smoke I saw Ricky hatton leave and as he walked passed me I asked him if he was Ashley off coronation street, luckily he found it funny !!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Sam's Chophouse
Genghis Khan Mongolian Grill

Both superb, look them up.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
This is THE place to go!

Its a rock n roll cocktail bar, plays anything from The Stones, Elvis, Stone Roses, Depeche Mode, Blondie...ie Indie and Rockn Roll

get there early however on a Friday/Saturday night...its mental....the seats turn in to mini platforms to dance on and play the old air guitar!

White Russian in that place is like rocket fuel...:clap2:

http://www.mojobar.co.uk/

Avoid the Printworks....its west Street but worse!

Northern Quarter is good which is full on trendy bars and you tend to see Hollyoaks girls out there!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Im going to be spending the next 3 weeks in Piccadilly area of Manchester,

Ive never been there before, any recommendations for grub? curry houses etc?

Don't forget let us know the outcome of your research and visit.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If you like south East Asian food then I would recommend Tampopo or Ning. Lots of good boozers such as the Lass O Gowrie, Peveril of the Peak are near Picc. There is a big Chinatown there too, and Rusholme is a 15 minute walk.

Northern Quarter is good if you like quirky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here