Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/t South African Tinderbox Situation

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Speaking to a South African ex pat over the weekend and he offered up the bizarre scenario that Mandela might already be dead, but with the possible disorder that might follow the announcement it's being held back. Not the first time it's happened in world politics, Stalin was reputed to have died nearly three weeks before the Kremlin announced it.
But surely sooner or later they will have to announce it, then batten down the hatches?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Watch this weeks Channel 4 Dispatches if you want to see why the civil unrest will come.
Nothing to do with Mandela.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Watch this weeks Channel 4 Dispatches if you want to see why the civil unrest will come.
Nothing to do with Mandela.

Precis please - cannot watch it obviously! But if it is as a result of the ANC's failures to do anything about poverty, unemployment and education, then I am not surprised - there are often violent protests about that here.

Not sure it can be described as a Tinderbox though, just yet.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Precis please - cannot watch it obviously! But if it is as a result of the ANC's failures to do anything about poverty, unemployment and education, then I am not surprised - there are often violent protests about that here.

My cousin live in Joburg and speaking with him a few weeks back, he said he was really nervous about whats going to happen when he does pass away, not sure why, but he feared for mass riots all over the country.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
My cousin live in Joburg and speaking with him a few weeks back, he said he was really nervous about whats going to happen when he does pass away, not sure why, but he feared for mass riots all over the country.

Well, we will have to wait and see. There is a LOT of scaremongering which has been going on for years about what will happen when Madiba dies. This is often perpetrated by those who want it to happen, to justify their views (am not saying this is what your cousin thinks, by the way). It does not mean that it will happen - people have been forecasting mass trouble here for a long time and it has yet to happen.

What will cause trouble is if the ANC are covering something up here regarding Madiba, but I not sure that they could be that stupid!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

More to do with the way the police behave towards some people KZNSeagull, although I take your point wholly on the ANC.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why will there be disorder when he dies?

dont know, but i understood there was fractures within the ANC and Mandela keeps everyone in line. so any disorder would be from internal faction fighting. i'm sure its likly overblown, but every report about his impending death seems to mention it so there must be some reason for concern?

which you view on the ground, is this just a load of fluff?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
dont know, but i understood there was fractures within the ANC and Mandela keeps everyone in line. so any disorder would be from internal faction fighting. i'm sure its likly overblown, but every report about his impending death seems to mention it so there must be some reason for concern?

which you view on the ground, is this just a load of fluff?

There are ALWAYS fractures inside the ANC - see COPE and the saga of Julius Malema as 2 reasonably recent examples. When a party includes a huge array of different views, this is understandable. Zuma is, and is seen as, a very weak leader. Cyril Ramaphosa was bought in as ANC Deputy last year because of this. The main problem is that they are at the behest of the Unions, who rule the roost and they are often the cause of problems - peaceful strikes appear to be rare! The ANC's expulsion of Julius Malema was a very positive move. However, there are some very well thought of people who are scathing of the ANC, including Thabo Mbeki's brother and Mamphela Ramphele, who has started her own political party now, because of their failure to deliver on their promises. Corruption and Cadre Deployment will be the ANC's downfall eventually.

I do not believe that Mandela has been "with it" for some time, so the thought that he has been able to keep anyone in line is not right. His ideals, whether he is alive or not, appear to be at the forefront of many peoples thoughts in government and elsewhere and it is these that people will continue to strive for. I don't believe that his passing will make any difference to this.

Historically, African governments are fine until they have a serious challenger at the polls. That time has not come yet here but it will come soon as support for the ANC is dropping. Whether at that time SA descends into trouble, we will see, but I doubt it - my view is that there are too many good people in this country to let it slide.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here