Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Might Poyet's appeal be delaying the signing of any obvious Oscar targets?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Just a thought really.

The club has done everything by the book so far and the choice of title of head coach for Oscar looked deliberate given Poyet's unresolved situation.

Could it also be then that until Poyet's appeal is heard (assuming he has appealed) the club may be delaying any obvious Oscar signings? Might allowing Oscar to start signing players before Poyet's situation is sorted be pounced upon by the LMA?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Of course it has delayed a few things.

I suspect no player with an obvious Oscar connection will be signed until Gus' appeal is over.

The good news is that his 3 weeks is up today, and once we get the next 'club statement' it will back to normal, and any subsequent legal issues will just happen in the background and not cause anymore delays.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I think it more likely that Oscar needs time to look at his squad and assess who he needs, who he wants to let go etc.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Just a thought really.

The club has done everything by the book so far and the choice of title of head coach for Oscar looked deliberate given Poyet's unresolved situation.

Could it also be then that until Poyet's appeal is heard (assuming he has appealed) the club may be delaying any obvious Oscar signings? Might allowing Oscar to start signing players before Poyet's situation is sorted be pounced upon by the LMA?

It has been said before that the club like any other business are allowed to carry on trading while the appeal is going on. So in the same way that any company could employee new staff while a manager was appealing being sacked so can we. Also worth mentioning that it is the LMA who have been asking for clubs to follow Employment law for ages.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I imagine we will see a few things sorted over next week. Appeal must be concluded, new players need to be signed and that is MUST ( have similar budget to last year, and have 6 players less now) also, club want to recruit new assistant manager so I can see a very busy few days ahead...

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
I imagine we will see a few things sorted over next week. Appeal must be concluded, new players need to be signed and that is MUST ( have similar budget to last year, and have 6 players less now) also, club want to recruit new assistant manager so I can see a very busy few days ahead...

Not sure much will happen next week as the players are leaving on tour today. Although David Burke is in charge on getting players surely a meeting with our "head coach" is also part of the process?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what reason are we going to have next weekend if theres been no transfers?

i think its more likly Oscar wants to run the rule over the players he's got.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i go no holiday tomorrow and not back until 3rd of August, no access to internet and not using phone as too much money. So when I return the day of the Leeds game how many new signings will be here. I dont think any, I think any new players will come in during the final days of the transfer window.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think it more likely that Oscar needs time to look at his squad and assess who he needs, who he wants to let go etc.
This

Not sure much will happen next week as the players are leaving on tour today. Although David Burke is in charge on getting players surely a meeting with our "head coach" is also part of the process?

And this.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think it may delay the appointment of Oscar's coaching team, even though the Oatway and Tarrichio situation has been resolved and "playing it by the book" may explain the recent advertisement.

Orson Cart

Oct 10, 2012
And if Gus wins any appeal then the club is likely going to have to pay out some big money (2 million ?) to him instead of for new players I suppose.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Signing players is David Burkes responsibility. Garcia is a head coach. I can see absolutely zero reason why Poyets appeal (if he actually has, afaik we don't know) would impact on David Burkes ability to carry out his job description.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Walt is trying to say this: we are assuming Oscar is 'head coach' on the basis that naming him manager would be constructive dismissal. I assume his current contract is drafted tightly so that it relates just to coaching and is a job in theory that could come under Gus as manager. It might be reasonable to assume that we won't make any obvious Garcoa signing of MTA or Barcelona B players in order to avoid the two roles being blurred and provide another argument for Poyet's lawyers. Presumably this is also why his advisors haven't officially been announced.

Interesting to think about bu I can't really believe that's the case- it's just going to take a while for OGJ to bed in an it may of course be down to FFFP constraints.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Surely the only affect it has is on budget, ie if we end up having to pay GP £2.5m then that must surely, for the most part, come out of the playing budget.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Walt is trying to say this: we are assuming Oscar is 'head coach' on the basis that naming him manager would be constructive dismissal. I assume his current contract is drafted tightly so that it relates just to coaching and is a job in theory that could come under Gus as manager. It might be reasonable to assume that we won't make any obvious Garcoa signing of MTA or Barcelona B players in order to avoid the two roles being blurred and provide another argument for Poyet's lawyers. Presumably this is also why his advisors haven't officially been announced.

Interesting to think about bu I can't really believe that's the case- it's just going to take a while for OGJ to bed in an it may of course be down to FFFP constraints.
What on earth is 'an obvious OGJ signing.' Poyet and Garcia play a very similar brand of football and either way it will be David Burke's signature on any contracts and I'm sure if asked he would say that he identified the player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here