Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Who is the best manager in the Championship?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Way too early to nominate Oscar but who do you think is the best?

I'm actually struggling to think of ONE that I would like to see here instead of an unproven Oscar.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Can't think of any I would be more excited by, but always difficult to tell because a third of the league will never have been given the chance to prove what they can do at a club with decent resources.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Eddie Howe
Dougie Freeman
Owen Coyle
Zola
Harry Redknapp

However, this doesn't mean I'd like any of the above at The Amex instead of Oscar.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Gianfranco Zola
Nigel Adkins

If we HAD to pick a manager from this division, it would be either of those two. I could live with Freedman or Howe, as both also seem to be fairly successfull.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Gianfranco Zola
Nigel Adkins

If we HAD to pick a manager from this division, it would be either of those two. I could live with Freedman or Howe, as both also seem to be fairly successfull.

Agreed. Although I would add Chris Powell to the list as he seems to have done an excellent job at Charlton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Adkins is a good call even if he is a smug ****

Powell, possibly, let's see how he does now he's had a season to put together his own team

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Adkins, probably.

Dougie 'Greed'man could well take Bolton up this year.

I think Oscar will outshine the lot of them though.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Well, in terms of achievement, Harry Redknapp is the only one to have won a major trophy as a manager and to have led a team into the Champions League.

However, in terms of the skills needed for managing in the Championship, there's different criteria required to assess who is best. Redknapp can certainly manage at that level and got Portsmouth promoted, but he would find it very difficult at a club with a limited budget. He would need to be able to manoeuvre players.

In terms of managers who could do a job with a restricted budget and get their team to play non-Neanderthal football (hence me about to exclude Mick McCarthy despite his track record in the Championship), then messrs Zola, Adkins, Freedman, McDermott and Powell are strong candidates. I think Freedman and Powell will both prove their quality in the forthcoming season.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
If Poyet had of gone to reading, I could of seen Adkins coming to Brighton with BHA old boys Crosby and Wilkins and been very very successful !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here