Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Slough Town want to build a ground in their town

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Slough Town currently play their home matches in Beaconsfield, and have been trying to get permission to build a proper "home" in Slough for years (sounds familiar). Recent developments have thrown their attempts to get this through, so there is a petition which they hope will attract enough signatories to get government to back down and let the local authorities deal with it and to get the project back on track.

"All we want is a football ground in Slough

Responsible department: Department for Culture, Media and Sport

A proposed development in the heart of Slough to include housing, community sports facilities and a home for Slough Town Football Club is in danger of collapse following interference from Central Government.

The Attorney General and the Education Secretary are looking to site a new school on the proposed development site despite a perfectly acceptable alternative already having been earmarked in Stoke Poges. This is politically motivated and aims to appease NIMBYs to the detriment of the people of Slough.

Following the enormous success of the Olympics we should be boosting communities with new sports facilities.

We want the government to stop their interference and allow the Local Council, elected by local people to proceed with the development that the local people want rather than forcing a school that is not wanted in another borough onto the people of Slough. "

Go on NSCers, do your stuff :clap:

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47176

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
This was worse than the Albion.

Slough Council moved Slough Town out of the Dolphin stadium which they shared with greyhound track, now a co-op.

Moved them to new tailor made ground on edge of Town at Wexham Park - supposedly for "life" with plans to develop training ground adjacent etc etc. Slough became established Conference Team and with Brian McDermott in charge reached FA Trophy final at Wembley and finished fourth in Conference.

Slough Council - no interest in football in Borough !!! and sold ground under their feet. Slough demoted as not able to demonstrate ability to fulfill fixtures and ended up playing at Windsor & Eton, now at Beaconsfield. It's been an almost 20 year exile for a big non league team who have produced a number of professionals - Micky Droy, Eric Young, David Kemp ....

It gets better the same Slough Council also sold the Hockey Club stating similar reasons - Slough Mens and Slough Ladies had been European Champions - Ian Gould etc!!! They now play fixtures at Reading (Slough Ladies).

Slough Council is a joke in terms of what it's done for sport. I'd urge other sports fans to support Superphils link.

Apologies, rant over.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Let me guess: tory council by any chance?

Oh and signed. Scumbags

Always been the Labour council that has chucked them out of one ground, into another, then out of that one, Scumbags.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Signed.

This petition is aimed at the government, not the local council.

So... notwithstanding the government's apparent unwanted interference (BHASVIC playing fields, anyone?), what is Slough Borough Council's attitude towards the latest application?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Signed.

This petition is aimed at the government, not the local council.

So... notwithstanding the government's apparent unwanted interference (BHASVIC playing fields, anyone?), what is Slough Borough Council's attitude towards the latest application?

I understand Slough have been on the end of all sorts of objections, but they had previously given the go ahead for the development, including the football ground, it's the government who are trying to get it stopped.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Another thing which I've very belatedly picked up on is that that petition should be aimed at the Department for Education, not the DCMS.

It's evidently Michael Gove's department that wishes to run a wrecking ball through the club's application.

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Let me guess: tory council by any chance?

Oh and signed. Scumbags

No always been labour since the days of Joan Lester. Unfortunately this had (at time football club kicked out) an anti traditional sport agenda as certain groups gained power on the Council

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
More to the point you chaps, could you please sign the petition, and then bung it on your Facebook/Twitter/Pinterest/google+/Instagram as its been a pretty slow burner so far :thumbsup:

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Signed.
Spent my childhood in Slough. Devastated by events since the heady Conference days. Saw my first ever game at the Dolphin vs. Dagenham in the Athenian League.
Props to all, esp. SuperPhil and EricYoung59, great stuff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here