Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Time to start supporting Chris Froome

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
It's the Tour de France. We never win the Tour, then we do and the next year we have a British (yes Britishish) rider at the top of the GC. The most difficult and body shattering event that beggars believe.

So when England beat Australia sometime today (is that tempting fate?) , spare a thought and give a cheer for the man in yellow.

And as a subplot, first barbecue at 10.01 opposite and the neighbour on the other side is hosing down his camel. Slip Slop Slap time apparently, although we do have an ozone layer over the mother country.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Hopefully he wins. Would be a great fillip for African cycling.

Wiki ...... His performances in 2008 attracted the attention of British Cycling coach, Rod Ellingworth who believed Froome had potential. Froome said: "Although I was riding under the Kenyan flag I made it clear that I had always carried a British passport and felt British. It was then we talked about racing under the Union Flag, and we stayed in touch."

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
If he wins this bicycle race will he get a knighthood like that other guy?

Unlikely, given that not only was Wiggins the first Brit to have won the Tour De France, but he did also win 6 gold medals in the World Cycling Championships and 4 Olympic gold medals, including one in his home Olympics just a fortnight after he'd won the Tour De France. Wiggins may have made history last year, but it was the culmination of many years of success in his sport. None of which would diminish Froome's achievement should he win the Tour De France, but just saying that Wiggins has achieved a lot more in his career than just a solitary Tour victory.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Wiki ...... His performances in 2008 attracted the attention of British Cycling coach, Rod Ellingworth who believed Froome had potential. Froome said: "Although I was riding under the Kenyan flag I made it clear that I had always carried a British passport and felt British. It was then we talked about racing under the Union Flag, and we stayed in touch."

We'll take him. His family roots are mainly British.

But it WOULD also be a great fillip for African cycling, him having been born there, raised there and developed there. Along with Daryl Impey wearing yellow earlier in the tour, this has been a great time for African cycling - let's hope that it is built upon.

Ashes in the morning, Tour in the afternoon. Or beach all day? Tough decisions to be made...

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Well I didn't look it up on wiki. I just saw him in an interview saying he was slightly disappointed Daryl Impey was the first African to wear the Yellow Jersey and not himself.

African cycling is good training for simple road racing.

173019.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
African cycling is good training for simple road racing.

p-c9d_b-0iR8pjg.gif
On better quality roads :down:

When Froome came over to Europe he noticed all the national jersey worn, a la Cav this season.

He asked The Kenyan Cycling Federation why there wasn't a national champion.
They said they never had enough riders to compete.
Froome asked if he could be the national champ.
The Assoc just shrugged 'whatever'.

So CF designed and then got produced The Kenyan National Champion jersey, for him to wear.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Even if he was born in Mars, (he wasn't by the way), does it matter?, he is British now, and you and l will both, l suspect, be cheering loudly if he wins.

With the Andy Murray victory at Wimbledon, the Lions winning in Australia,, and the Ashes tests, the Tour this summer has been a largely forgotten about event, which is a great great shame.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Even if he was born in Mars, (he wasn't by the way), does it matter?, he is British now, and you and l will both, l suspect, be cheering loudly if he wins.

With the Andy Murray victory at Wimbledon, the Lions winning in Australia,, and the Ashes tests, the Tour this summer has been a largely forgotten about event, which is a great great shame.

I think the truth is, this country really doesn't do cycling in the way continental Europeans do, to-wit very few people really are at all about cycle racing. I used to live in the south of holland, every year there were two or three weekends given over to serious cycle racing around the town, the roads would be closed, thousands came out on the streets to cheer. The 'basecamp' or whatever it's called was quite near our house so we got great chances to watch and mingle around the starting lines.

If you think about it, we've just had hours and hours of televised tennis, and then the last few days the test match, the Dutch don't have that, but they probably have the same amount of TV coverage for cycling, races from holland, Germany, Belgium and France, all with wall to wall coverage all day long.

brixtonA23

Aug 5, 2011
I think the truth is, this country really doesn't do cycling in the way continental Europeans do, to-wit very few people really are at all about cycle racing. I used to live in the south of holland, every year there were two or three weekends given over to serious cycle racing around the town, the roads would be closed, thousands came out on the streets to cheer. The 'basecamp' or whatever it's called was quite near our house so we got great chances to watch and mingle around the starting lines.

If you think about it, we've just had hours and hours of televised tennis, and then the last few days the test match, the Dutch don't have that, but they probably have the same amount of TV coverage for cycling, races from holland, Germany, Belgium and France, all with wall to wall coverage all day long.

I think the truth is, that we do. The Wincanton Classic in our neighbourhood warranted three ice cream vans and a most beautiful day on the Beacon

And surely such a seasoned traveler would understand the difference between Holland and the Netherlands. South Holland works, the south of Holland really doesn't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here