Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Travelling Community

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Making themselves busy in Brighton this summer...

Apparently they tried getting onto Saltdean Oval last night but residents set up a blockade of cars and vans to stop them getting on. Apparently the travellers retaliated with threats of violence and then threatened to come back and ruin the Lions Fare that went on today. Looks like the residents stood firm and the event went off without a hitch today. Massive respect to them for keeping their nerve and dignity when dealing with a group of people who can be very nasty when they want to be. On the flip side I can't believe these people threatened to ruin a Charity Event, and then howl to the media that they are persecuted against...

Minor victory to the Law Abiding Majority for once.

Scum.

They tried getting on a park in Burgess Hill again last week and were most pissed off that a new double gate was installed after their last visit.

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
I find them incredibly brash, pushy, & dishonest.
I've had many encounters over the years with them in various parts of the country, & they've always behaved in a similar way.
Although i find the programmes about them & their ways very good tv, I feel it's far better to not have to undertake any dealings with them to avoid any disappointment.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In my neck of the woods, EVERY bit of urban open space has stone blocks around the edges to keep them out. As a bleeding heart liberal, I always flinched from the vitriol that surfaced whenever the caravans were in town. Until my little bit of greenspace was trashed some years ago after a visit. Took the council a week to evict. They dumped all their shite in the bushes by the creek when the left. A broken fridge, furniture, masses of domestic rubbish (not even in bin bags). We have a perfectly serviceable dump, well signposted, where they could have left all this stuff, and more (I think there is even a facility for recycling radioactive plutonium and anthrax). The bottom line was 'we will do what we like, and when we go we'll shit all over you'. Nice.

Mind you, the local resident chavs always take advantage of a visit to go on a housebreaking spree when the caravans are in town, knowing the visitors will be blamed. Funny old world. I'd be much more sympathetic to travelers if they departed with dignity. I'd lobby to invite them back. Something tells me the situation won't arise. Maybe someone can post a different experience?

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What type of travelling community? The old fashioned hedge trimming, tarmac laying, thieving type? Or the new age tax avoiding, smelly, fire twirling, festival going type?
They both leave a trail of shit everywhere.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
What type of travelling community? The old fashioned hedge trimming, tarmac laying, thieving type? Or the new age tax avoiding, smelly, fire twirling, festival going type?

No entirely sure, but I would plug for the first old fashioned lot. As repugnant as they are I can't see the crusty lot threatening to ruin a charity family gala fair.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
They got on Clayton Rec last year, stayed for a week, and left what I would guess was about 10 tonnes of shit all over the Rec. In a week!

Also there most charming trick, was to take a shit on the pavement, then when the next person needed to go, they took a shit about 12 inches further down the path. In a week they had covered about 15 feet. Classy.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
They got on Clayton Rec last year, stayed for a week, and left what I would guess was about 10 tonnes of shit all over the Rec. In a week!

Also there most charming trick, was to take a shit on the pavement, then when the next person needed to go, they took a shit about 12 inches further down the path. In a week they had covered about 15 feet. Classy.

Lucky there was only a couple there then, or it might have got very messy!

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam

best place for them is at the bottom of the ocean, lowlife scum

D

Deleted member 2719

Don't get me started.:rant:

They have just turned up on our turf and left human excrement and paper all over a memorial garden, zero respect for anything or anyone, they were here just a few weeks ago, so a new gate was put up and padlocked and the cheeky gits cut the lock off with an angle grinder.
So what do the Police do, diddly squat and apparently will wait until the festival of speed has finished before they move them on.

I really believe that we have all gone soft and vigilantes have a big future in this country,because the law or the police can't be arsed to protect the law abiding citizen any more, now the wife tells me they have their generator running again it went on to 2.30am the other night.

Well done to the Saltdean residence.:bowdown:

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Don't get me started.:rant:

They have just turned up on our turf and left human excrement and paper all over a memorial garden, zero respect for anything or anyone, they were here just a few weeks ago, so a new gate was put up and padlocked and the cheeky gits cut the lock off with an angle grinder.
So what do the Police do, diddly squat and apparently will wait until the festival of speed has finished before they move them on.

I really believe that we have all gone soft and vigilantes have a big future in this country,because the law or the police can't be arsed to protect the law abiding citizen any more, now the wife tells me they have their generator running again it went on to 2.30am the other night.

Well done to the Saltdean residence.:bowdown:

It's because this government is too scared to 'cross boundaries' of ethic demographics. Keeping specific groups of people pleased to keep an inclusive reputation. It's laughable at best.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Police can't do anything unless and until the landowner serves an injunction to get them off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here