Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Haven't I Got Any Tits?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I put up two nesting boxes on my fence in January, expecting tits or other small bird species to take a fancy to these luxury detached residences and move in for a while.
I'm very disappointed that I've had no takers. There's been a couple of viewings but that's about it.
Am I likely to see any ornithological small beauties in the future, or have I wasted my time?
It's a pleasant residential area, close to the sea and all other amenities.
Ungrateful feathered ****ers!

Attachments

• DSC_6578 Resized.JPG
    DSC_6578 Resized.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 333

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I've had the same issue, mine are in a similar position to yours. I wonder if they aren't high enough off the ground?

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Jack, you should know at your age that you can't expect any bird to just set up home without spending some dosh on a slap up meal or two, accompanied by liberal quantities of drink...............play your cards right and who knows, you may even land a pair of great tits.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I blame the Banks. It's very difficult to get a mortgage at the moment, unless you have a large deposit, and Tits just aren't big enough.

D

Deleted member 2719

Tits are over rated, give me blackbirds any day.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Are the nesting boxes the wrong colour ? Tits won't hang about anywhere.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Too close together. Tits are very territorial.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
You would've thought with blue and white paintwork, they would attract plenty of tits !!!!!!!! Methinks a spot of guerilla claret, blue and white painting might be in order !!!
!!!!

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
I have some nice tits in the garden the boxes are probably around the same height but are of the tree / browny colour , im not sure if tits like blue but you never know .

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I thought they generally came in pairs, side by side.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Too close together. Tits are very territorial.

Absolute bollox. All members of the tit family are fairly gregarious and two hens will often lay in the same nest. Broods are rarely bought up and fed by just the parents. There was a superb article on long tail tits on springwatch a few weeks ago where a male long tail tit lost all his chicks and as it was too late to start another nest, he went and helped raise another brood with another pair.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Think you could have something there, Uncle C.

Maybe removing one of the nest boxes might work.

For sale:
One recently built bird-nesting box.
10 year guarantee.
Viewing essential.
OIRO £ 9.95 (Freehold).

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Absolute bollox. All members of the tit family are fairly gregarious and two hens will often lay in the same nest. Broods are rarely bought up and fed by just the parents. There was a superb article on long tail tits on springwatch a few weeks ago where a male long tail tit lost all his chicks and as it was too late to start another nest, he went and helped raise another brood with another pair.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
To be honest uncle jack, they're probably a bit low down with very little in the way of natural cover (trees etc). Birds need to feel incredibly secure when nesting. Might be worth putting a couple of feeders up and see if you can attract a few tits or dunnocks to feed, it might just give them that extra bit of confidence.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here