Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: For the sea anglers amongst....

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Is there any mackeral about off the beaches yet?, or am I a bit early?.

Thanks..:fishing:

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Why would you want mackerel when you can have dover soles...lots of 'em :) uploadfromtaptalk1373792915684.jpg

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
Very nice. About to go chase some bass from Martello tower myself. Quite a few coming out at the moment

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
bit overkill keeping the lot IMO

catch and return best for the stocks with a couple for the fridge

& let the dozen Polish trawlers based in Shoreham harbour that have scoured the local sea bed leaving it like a 'desert' pick up a bounty that would sell for £200 in my local restaurant?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
& let the dozen Polish trawlers based in Shoreham harbour that have scoured the local sea bed leaving it like a 'desert' pick up a bounty that would sell for £200 in my local restaurant?

Action groups against this sort of thing.

Dont agree with either

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
bit overkill keeping the lot IMO

catch and return best for the stocks with a couple for the fridge
Well I put in a lot of effort to find and catch them, we enjoy eating them, and none will go to waste, so I'm certainly not going to feel guilty about having a good day and bagging up.
What pisses me off is when people catch hoards of mackerel and then leave them in the sun and the lot end up in the bin.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I know that they are now expensive in the shops as opposed to a few years ago when they were regarded as a nothing fish. If you went on a boat trip in Cornwall all it needed was a piece of string with a hook on to trail behind the boat and they gave themselves up, so much so that they were used as bait by the fishermen.

Chris45

Jul 29, 2010
Well I put in a lot of effort to find and catch them, we enjoy eating them, and none will go to waste, so I'm certainly not going to feel guilty about having a good day and bagging up.
What pisses me off is when people catch hoards of mackerel and then leave them in the sun and the lot end up in the bin.
I tend to fill the freezer up with mackerel to use as bait during the summer, only catch what I'll need though, once handled mackerel will die within 30 hours of returning them to the water as they have delicate skin.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I tend to fill the freezer up with mackerel to use as bait during the summer, only catch what I'll need though, once handled mackerel will die within 30 hours of returning them to the water as they have delicate skin.

They are not just a bait fish, they have a lovely flavour and caught and cooked fresh are far superior to the sad bronze coloured fish sold by Sainsbury's. Mrs V has stated that she would never buy another Mackerel again having caught her own with me.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Don't worry, that is a great catch and you have every right to keep and eat all of them, the local net boys in The Marina often have a couple of boxes full daily so your dozen is a drop in the ocean. There has been and will be days when you can't catch even one so make the most :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here