Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liverpool Care Pathway 'set to be phased out'

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Without knowing too much about the subject, my take on this is that instead of a unilateral process for all patients nearing death, there will now be individually tailored plans agreed with families.

Is this not a good thing? Or is there something I am missing ?

If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

I

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Who would want to go to Liverpool anyway? FFS

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
My understanding is that the LCP has not been very successful and their is evidence to back this up. I actually thought this was suggested 18 months ago, though I could be wrong.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
My understanding is that the LCP has not been very successful and their is evidence to back this up. I actually thought this was suggested 18 months ago, though I could be wrong.

Its lost its value now the general public know about it. It will be replaced by a similar scheme with a different name.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Irrelevant. It'll be replaced by something exactly the same. There is no way they are going to force people to live longer through evasive or painful treatment.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I don't think that LCP is a bad framework - and can offer the most humane way forward. 2 big points
1) Everybody who has close family should make it very clear to them how they would to be treated towards the end of their lives
2) Health providers must communicate very clearly - the worst problems are when this hasn't happened

I think in our society that we sometimes care too much about length of life and not enough about quality of life

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't think that LCP is a bad framework - and can offer the most humane way forward. 2 big points
1) Everybody who has close family should make it very clear to them how they would to be treated towards the end of their lives
2) Health providers must communicate very clearly - the worst problems are when this hasn't happened

I think in our society that we sometimes care too much about length of life and not enough about quality of life

Great post!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Without knowing too much about the subject, my take on this is that instead of a unilateral process for all patients nearing death, there will now be individually tailored plans agreed with families.

Is this not a good thing? Or is there something I am missing ?

If my understanding is wrong, please correct me.

I

Where has it ever been considered a unilateral process? That suggests that there is someone makes a decision without consultation with anyone else, especially relatives. There has been some bad practice which should be rooted out but there is nothing wrong with the principles behind it. What exactly do you think an individually tailored plan to die will be? What should be changed is any financial reward for using the process. If you take away LCP then what is the alternative.

Irrelevant. It'll be replaced by something exactly the same. There is no way they are going to force people to live longer through evasive or painful treatment.

Have to agree with this.

Having recently had a conversation with my consultant along the lines of "what would happen if I decided I didn't want any treatment at all?" [answer - you'll die and sooner than you want to], I have every confidence in the ability of both the NHS and families to take a mature and considered approach to this issue. A headline decision about one of the options available isn't going to change this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here