Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else feeling pessimistic?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Now those who know me will tell you that I am a pretty cheery and optimistic fellow... however for some reason there is a nagging feeling in me that this season is going to be tough. Relegation battle tough.

Can't put my finger on why. Seeing the Assistant managers job advertised on the website has made it worse for some reason!

Anyone else feeling the same or am I being a grumpy b*****t?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Not me. But as an Albion fan you certainly retain the right to be a grumpy old b*****d. Don't feel too bad about it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Now those who know me will tell you that I am a pretty cheery and optimistic fellow... however for some reason there is a nagging feeling in me that this season is going to be tough. Relegation battle tough.

Can't put my finger on why. Seeing the Assistant managers job advertised on the website has made it worse for some reason!

I am probably one of those
yes my glass is normally half full but there is something not sitting right and I cannot put my finger on it
and I really hope we are wrong

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Same feeling here.

Not sure I think we'll be in a relegation battle, but it's not out of the question.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cast your mind back 4 years and then :smile:

If that doesn't work remember that relegation battles can be fun :thumbsup:

What is not sitting right is that the Poyet situation is not resolved and it MAY be fecking up the build up to the season. Should be sorted soon I imagine and then we can start getting properly excited about the season starting.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I had this feeling when the likes of Darren Ferguson and Harry redknapp were being discussed, but i think under OG we will be comfortably mid-table or pushing for play-offs. If we sign some decent players then possibly even top 2. The team we have know how to compete in the championship, I think Oscar will learn from them as much as they learn from him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Palace had a grim close season last year and lost their first 3 or was it four games, then look what happened.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I think much stems from complete lack of communication from club. No comment from new manager, no idea of direction we are going in and for 9 weeks a fiasco of a sideshow re manager.. Link that to no new players, no hint of anything changing... Yes not ideal, and a worry that the club seems to think we as fans will continue to support in our droves with no particular incentive...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am in a bit of mood at present. Twas my birthday yesterday and i turned the achey-jointed age of 38. I am not normally blue on such a day, but this year i had a small reminiscence, and it was unsavoury and impeded the normalcy of living in the present and dreaming of the future sporadically. Pah, to the horrendous past and all its spears and arrows.
Still, today i plan to get a bit wrecked down by the Thames and i should be in better spirits as the odd sambucca is set ablaze and i suddenly stare longingly at a cancer stick.

Buck

Through & Through
Feb 18, 2009
Not Lewes Any More
It's the uncertainty of change. Poyet took the club forward with every season, now he's gone it's natural to feel apprehensive. But change can also be exciting. I am really looking forward to Oscar taking us to the next level, might not be immediate, but I believe some fresh ideas will be a good thing.

There must have been some assurances given re budget, players etc, otherwise why would OG have left a job where he was having genuine success? He's not here because he needed to be, he obviously wanted the job.

Keep the faith.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm not so much pessimistic, more apprehensive.

We're going into a new season with a completely new and untested management team at this level and in this country.

I would say it's got as much chance of going horribly wrong as it has gloriously right.

The signings over the next six weeks will be crucial.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I feel the Albion overachieved and many other clubs underachieved last season, the league was so tight from top to bottom. This season we have the same big clubs and big spending clubs like Wigan and QPR who will make this league much harder and I can see Wigan and QPR and Reading maybe going straight back up.

The play offs maybe possible if we recruit some more good quality players that can blend into the squad and the new manager will inevitably have a new style and possible formation to learn.

If it does not all come together we could well struggle, but that is football and that is why we love it.

bring it on

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Very optimistic.

We still need 4 players, assuming none leave, but we've 7 weeks to get them, and I'm sure we'll go for quality.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Not bothered at the moment, I think we have a good enough squad now to survive in this division, the question for me is are we going to be able to sign players to enable us to compete at the top end of the table again this season.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
Maybe it is a strange legal requirement to advertise the AM job - regardless of whether the position is pretty much filled. Seen that sort of thing done before in normal business.

As for me - pretty happy we'll compete next season, top 10 and I'm pleased to be supporting a solid Champ. side - bloody great days for the Albion!!!

I think there are problems but once the Poyet situation is resolved we will then be able to build a relationship with Garcia. It's very difficult for all concerned. The Lopez situation seems strange possibly relating to an incident involving Garcia and Lopez back in Spain?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here