Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT - Is there any way in the UK to trace the owner of a mobile phone?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Getting a name and address seems impossible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
stalking isn't like it used to be with the old phone book. on the other hand, Facebook give improved opportunities to track someone.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do you have the phone and are looking to return it, or do you just have a number?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Do you have the phone and are looking to return it, or do you just have a number?

I have the mobile number of a rogue trader who upset an elderly lady and wish to find who it is and where they are based.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I know this may be teaching grandmother to suck eggs but have you tried typing it into google? Very occasionally if it is attached to a business, you may get a result.

Yes it has come up with similar adverts and indeed he is using a second mobile number to put out the same adverts, but no hint of a name or location.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Ring it, ask rogue trader to visit under the pretence of a job. :shrug:

There's no way he will come back to the same address (region) and is not answering the phone (to me) or responding to texts.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
What are the company names, or is it a sole trader ?

fork me

I have changed this
Oct 22, 2003
Gate 3, Limassol, Cyprus
Getting a name and address seems impossible.

It depends on a lot. It's easier with contract numbers and can be difficult to impossible with PAYG numbers.

The police can sometimes (but not always) do it if a crime has been committed from it.

When I had incidences of kids being bullied by text the easiest way was usually just to phone it.

Me, "Hello, who is this?"
Child "<name>"
Me, "It's Mr X here get to my office immediately".

You'd be amazed how often it worked!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I have told both the Police and Trading Standards but neither are optimistic about tracing the owner of the number (data protection apparently). Both have hinted I may have more success myself, so I turned to NSC.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
You are going to struggle if, fork me says, it is a PAYG, unregistered, of if it has not been linked to the trade / business. There are other ways other than through the number, do you know a name etc... or is it just the number?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its a sole trader who is not always honest about the fact he is a trader.

If you want to ping some company names, or his name I can run against a few things possibly.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
You are going to struggle if, fork me says, it is a PAYG, unregistered, of if it has not been linked to the trade / business. There are other ways other than through the number, do you know a name etc... or is it just the number?
Just the number - hence the struggle.

In the USA they have reverse search for telephone numbers but not in the UK

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
If you seen other ads with a different number have you tried calling that (not using your own number, which is sounds like he now knows)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here