Page 258 of 267 FirstFirst ... 158208248255256257258259260261 ... LastLast
Results 2,571 to 2,580 of 2670

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Flex Your Head View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like it a lot. I saw them years ago supporting someone, but never really listened to them at the time. This is really good though; is it typical of the older stuff and should I go back and investigate further?
    Souvlaki is one of the records of the 90s for me, and I suspect @tinycowboy agrees

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I like it a lot. I saw them years ago supporting someone, but never really listened to them at the time. This is really good though; is it typical of the older stuff and should I go back and investigate further?
      Quote Originally Posted by Staly View Post
      Souvlaki is one of the records of the 90s for me, and I suspect @tinycowboy agrees
      This is subtly different - less anchored in the sound of the day. They pretty much followed an arc of noisy, ethereal (1st three EPs plus disappointingly bland 1st LP) to poppy/dubby/melancholic galaxies of wispy heartbreak (2nd album) to fascinating dubby/repetitive/guitar-led ambience (3rd album). If you look at Mondrian's journey from elegant post-impressionism to the abstraction of his L'Oreal Studio Line pieces, it's a similar Slowdive journey from something like "She Calls" to "Crazy For You" - maximalist guitar whoosh to the reduction of the six note refrain of the latter, repeated over and over again. Lots of people who weren't born when Slowdive were around the first time around find their music makes them feel sad but also happy, nostalgic for something they can't put their finger on. My wife used to love Slowdive, but she can't listen to them as they make her feel too sad, the music makes you too reflective. I quite like being reflective, but I do find myself moist-eyed a bit too much when I listen. I worry I'll be a whimpering middle-aged wreck when I see them live again - just the thought of "Machine Gun" makes me want to well up. Anyway, Souvlaki is a good place to start; from early EPs - Slowdive (the song), Avalyn I or II, Morningrise, She Calls, Shine, Catch The Breeze. From Pygmalion, Rutti, Crazy For You, Blue Skied An' Clear.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Staly View Post
      Luck? We need a couple of clean sheets. Have to say I couldn't think of two clubs I'd like to be relegated more than Vale and Swindon, so here's hoping that's the way it goes.
      Yay!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by tinycowboy View Post
      This is subtly different - less anchored in the sound of the day. They pretty much followed an arc of noisy, ethereal (1st three EPs plus disappointingly bland 1st LP) to poppy/dubby/melancholic galaxies of wispy heartbreak (2nd album) to fascinating dubby/repetitive/guitar-led ambience (3rd album). If you look at Mondrian's journey from elegant post-impressionism to the abstraction of his L'Oreal Studio Line pieces, it's a similar Slowdive journey from something like "She Calls" to "Crazy For You" - maximalist guitar whoosh to the reduction of the six note refrain of the latter, repeated over and over again. Lots of people who weren't born when Slowdive were around the first time around find their music makes them feel sad but also happy, nostalgic for something they can't put their finger on. My wife used to love Slowdive, but she can't listen to them as they make her feel too sad, the music makes you too reflective. I quite like being reflective, but I do find myself moist-eyed a bit too much when I listen. I worry I'll be a whimpering middle-aged wreck when I see them live again - just the thought of "Machine Gun" makes me want to well up. Anyway, Souvlaki is a good place to start; from early EPs - Slowdive (the song), Avalyn I or II, Morningrise, She Calls, Shine, Catch The Breeze. From Pygmalion, Rutti, Crazy For You, Blue Skied An' Clear.
      Blimey! Well, after that it'd be rude not to have a bit of a delve into their back catalogue. Thank you.
      I loved Pale Saints and Ride and a whole slew of shoegaze, but Slowdive (and Chapterhouse) left me cold whenever I heard them. I'm finding so much stuff that I ignored back then sounds so good nowadays though...
      For all your Brutalism faves - https://www.instagram.com/murray_tiptop/?hl=en

0 Not allowed!
      Blimey! Well, after that it'd be rude not to have a bit of a delve into their back catalogue. Thank you.
      I loved Pale Saints and Ride and a whole slew of shoegaze, but Slowdive (and Chapterhouse) left me cold whenever I heard them. I'm finding so much stuff that I ignored back then sounds so good nowadays though...
      Give it a go, although they always left some people cold.

Couldn't find the video for "Carpet" only, never mind....

0 Not allowed!
      Check out Lab Coast from Canada who are playing two Alt Escape shows this weekend. Should appeal to this thread.

https://labcoast.bandcamp.com/album/lab-coast

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by spring hall convert View Post
      Check out Lab Coast from Canada who are playing two Alt Escape shows this weekend. Should appeal to this thread.

https://labcoast.bandcamp.com/album/lab-coast
      I will - thanks!
      The voice of reason. hans kraay fan club's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      @tinycowboy Inspired by your EVANGELICAL zeal, here and in the albums thread, I'm finding myself COMPELLED to delve into a bit of Slowdive. Entirely uninitiated as I am, if I were to make one additional purchase along with the new album, would you recommend I go for Souvlaki or this one for a pound or two more, which seems to cover that album and more?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shining-Bre...words=slowdive
      The above post is simply my opinion. I am not bullying you, should it differ from your own.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by hans kraay fan club View Post
      @tinycowboy Inspired by your EVANGELICAL zeal, here and in the albums thread, I'm finding myself COMPELLED to delve into a bit of Slowdive. Entirely uninitiated as I am, if I were to make one additional purchase along with the new album, would you recommend I go for Souvlaki or this one for a pound or two more, which seems to cover that album and more?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shining-Bre...words=slowdive
      Well, that one has most of the tracks from all three previous albums. Clearly, that's better value, but the downsides are that it could be overkill plus it strangely omits a key track from Souvlaki (When The Sun Hits) which is many people's favourite track. However, it's a fairly extensive compilation. I don't think you'll like the tracks from Pygmalion that much - they're like a guitar-based version of electronica with some elements of dub. If you want to keep it pure, go for Souvlaki; if you go for this one, be selective with the tracks or you may find it a bit "Meh" - there are some of their least interesting songs on that compilation.

0 Not allowed!
      You need When The Sun Hits. Just saying