Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

R.I.P Alan Whicker (Merged)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The broadcaster Alan Whicker has died at the age of 87 after suffering from bronchial pneumonia.

The presenter and reporter - whose career spanned almost 60 years - passed away in the early hours of Friday, his spokeswoman said.

Whicker, who was probably best known for his Whicker's World TV series, died at home in Jersey.

He was born in Cairo, Egypt, but moved to England as a young child on the death of his father.

He was commissioned as an officer in the Devonshire Regiment during the Second World War, serving as a captain.

After the war he became a journalist and broadcaster, acting as a newspaper correspondent in the Korean War, during which he was mistakenly reported as having been killed.

He joined the BBC in 1957 and was a reporter for the Tonight programme.

Soon after that he began his Whicker's World series, which over the years consistently claimed a place in the top 10 ratings. He was also instrumental in the launch of Yorkshire Television.

Whicker was noted for probing the private worlds of the rich and famous on cruise ships, the Orient Express, at cocktail parties, on world tours, in health spas and gentlemen's clubs.

He was awarded a CBE in the 2005 New Year Honours list for services to broadcasting. He had lived in Jersey and is survived by his long-standing partner Valerie Kleeman

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Consumate broadcaster - RIP

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Whicker's World was marvellous and he was a charming, witty and very likeable man! RIP

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Man that's sad. Good knock though. Absolutely brilliant broadcaster.

I'd love to see some of those old Whicker's Worlds repeated. The one where he makes a request stop for a massive train somewhere sticks in the mind, but tons of them were so good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Class act, RIP Alan.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
There's a chap who lives in Sussex Square, looks just like Alan Whicker, wonder if he's related to him?

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Here in Heaven, the muffled creak from the pearly gates mingles with the sound of gentle plucking coming from the Angel's harps;
the bright white clouds on which I walk lead us all - inevitably - through the gates and then into the promised land itself.
The welcoming chorus from the Choir Invisible makes me think that, yes, this really is paradise.

I loved his Whicker's World series. RIP Alan, you were great!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Man that's sad. Good knock though. Absolutely brilliant broadcaster.

I'd love to see some of those old Whicker's Worlds repeated. The one where he makes a request stop for a massive train somewhere sticks in the mind, but tons of them were so good.

Well a very good chance of them repeating one in his Honour, now that he has gone l would have thought.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I got a Whicker's World DVD for Christmas last year. Utterly brilliant. The Papa Doc episode alone is breathtaking.

He was the most compelling interviewer I have ever heard and the person I would most liked to have met.

RIP

The Legend that IS Lawro

It's 'canard' Del
May 8, 2013
Burgess Hill
Broadcasting 'legend' RIP.

Still, nice to know he will be remembered both for his excellent broadcasting and his name will live on as a popular and innovative term of rhyming slang

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
So easy to watch and a real joy. Also used to love his credit card adverts for some reason, a real loss.
RIP.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here