Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Teacher Strike

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Not one week after we get this regarding parents taking their kids out of school in term time from a head teacher:-

“We have systematic teaching that needs to be taught every single day. We have 13 weeks of holiday during which we don’t do it and if they miss a week the learning has moved on, meaning gaps in children’s learning.”

We get notice that teachers are to go on strike.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23285445

D

Deleted member 22389

Not one week after we get this regarding parents taking their kids out of school in term time from a head teacher:-

“We have systematic teaching that needs to be taught every single day. We have 13 weeks of holiday during which we don’t do it and if they miss a week the learning has moved on, meaning gaps in children’s learning.”

We get notice that teachers are to go on strike.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23285445

Not all teachers are on strike.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Hypocities the lot of them, I will only change my mind if somebody can justify why it is better to have a teachers training day the first school day after a holiday rather than the last day of that holiday

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here we go again. I cannot be ****ing bothered to argue anymore. All I will say is I will support any teacher over that **** Gove any day of the week.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hypocities the lot of them, I will only change my mind if somebody can justify why it is better to have a teachers training day the first school day after a holiday rather than the last day of that holiday

Basically you would prefer them to come back and work a day earlier, perhaps you too will go back a day earlier to work during your holiday this Summer.

Dandyman

In London village.
Here we go again. I cannot be ****ing bothered to argue anymore. All I will say is I will support any teacher over that **** Gove any day of the week.

Amen to that. In a cabinet full of ****s Grove continues to make every effort to prove he is the biggest **** of all.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Basically you would prefer them to come back and work a day earlier, perhaps you too will go back a day earlier to work during your holiday this Summer.

I'd be more than happy to do this if I got 13 weeks holiday!! :D

Maybe that's what should happen, reduce their package to 12 weeks holiday. Use that extra 5 days for any training days necessary so it doesn't disrupt teaching the kids.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Nope no jsutification, why should they force working parents to take unpaid leave as they do not have enough holiday left so they can enjoy their full (extended) holiday entitlement

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'd be more than happy to do this if I got 13 weeks holiday!! :D

Maybe that's what should happen, reduce their package to 12 weeks holiday. Use that extra 5 days for any training days necessary so it doesn't disrupt teaching the kids.

God knows why I have bitten ..... but here goes :)

You mean doesnt disrupt you having to take care of your own kids ........ have you ever wondered if those training days might enhanced your childs education, or do you view your kids schooling as day care ??

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
I'm looking forward to teaching UK kids again, regardless of Gove, the new curriculum, strikes over pensions. Just need to get a teaching job.

D

Deleted member 22389

Words being used on the radio to have a pop at teachers today
"Welcome to the real world, I work 80 hours a week"

"It's a jungle out there!"

"Teachers need to get real"

"Teachers should raise their standards"

These people are absolute A holes.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
God knows why I have bitten ..... but here goes :)

You mean doesnt disrupt you having to take care of your own kids ........ have you ever wondered if those training days might enhanced your childs education, or do you view your kids schooling as day care ??

Bite away, I don't have kids. :D

Do private schools do this or do they have separate training outside of term time?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Nope no jsutification, why should they force working parents to take unpaid leave as they do not have enough holiday left so they can enjoy their full (extended) holiday entitlement

To be fair, I was you once.

Then my wife, went back to university earned her degree and now is a senior teacher has been for years.

Unless you know or are close to someone within the profession you will never really understand the workload, especially with the backdrop of seemingly generous annual holidays, its a pointless task trying to explain.

However there can be those within the profession that left school went to college then to uni and then straight in to teaching.

There is some argument that perhaps as is so often said they havent really experienced the issues that those of us within the private sector do and the insecurities that can bring, so its an understandable ignorance :)

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I think some are missing the OPs point here, he is saying that parents have just been notified that as of the new school term they will now be fined for taking their children out of school for unapproved absence, (£60 pounds per child I beleive but as usual with government comms its unclear), the justification for this was that children need to be taught everyday.

Now following this notification the teachers might strike which will be a contradiction of the reasons given to fine parents.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
Yet have better pass results and better educated kids etc. Guess they are simply better teachers working in a better system.......

Anyway, hospitals don't close for doctors to do training days, they arrange cover for those doing the training. Can't something similar be done?

If my suggesting of working the week before doesn't "work" then why not start the term a week LATER and use the 1st week for training days?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Amen to that. In a cabinet full of ****s Grove continues to make every effort to prove he is the biggest **** of all.

As an aside, I really don't like to use the word **** but I really cannot think of any other word when describing Gove. No other word fits.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here